Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Calling All 480 Owners !!!!

Views : 3885

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2011, 23:50   #31
glasgowjim

madmax it could be the speedo sensor thats gone not the speedo itself . Can supply a spare working speedo if required. its easy to replace a speedo as all the dash instruments can be replaced easily. I am in Bearsden (just north of glasgow so the next time you are passing drop in and we can check the speedo and change it over if necessary.

A replacement speedo cable is about £35 from volvo dealer as matter of interest.

best place for spare parts is the 480 club europe forum. or me
glasgowjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 23:57   #32
madmax2471

Default Ref Speedo

Hi glasgowjim

Thanks for your reply. Im hoping to have the volvo back on the road next week, with or without the speedo working, (I miss the car lol).

I took the speedo out to have a look and looks like someones tried some soldering to the speedo connection pins and have burnt the circuit board, so think I'll definetly need a new one. Its the one with the red and yellow multi pin plugs on the back.

If you have one available how much would you be looking for for it?
How can I contact you if Im coming through to Glasgow?

Thanks,
madmax2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 07:43   #33
glasgowjim

Just a quick post before I go to work the speedos I have (got several spare are the actual speedometer units. The board , speedo , rev counter and info meter are all separate then there is the outer casing , the large pcb board and the small pcb board for info centre , the small white outer casing and the bulb/holders I dismantle and re-assemble them (just as you must have done ).

will be in touch later tonight via this forum
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 21:40   #34
glasgowjim

the boards I have have grey and green connectors sorry

if it is only the speedo unit itself then they are all the same.
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 17:57   #35
madmax2471

Default Just my luck

Hi Jim

Just my luck there those ones. The problem I have is, someones soldered the connectors fron the speedo itself to the circuit board so cant seperate them to remove the speedo. I might have to do a bodge job to seperate them, got nothing to loose lol.

Do you happen to have any front wings for the 480, I need a right hand wing, preferable red? If not does anyone else have one available?

Thanks for any help you can give

Guy
madmax2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:58   #36
Manchego

Default Spain 480

Morning. Just registering, arrived after being turfed out of my usual haunt for supposed insubordination, which so far as I can tell comprised blinking without subservience in 'a presence'.

Some of you I know from there, and there you knew me under another identity. However, known or not, I wave a sunny palm in your general direction.

I've an '88 480 ES, which goes. I use it only for trans-country trips.

Previously, Volvowise, I had a '64 122 S,
Manchego is offline   Reply With Quote