Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo/supercharger

Views : 2295

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 22:59   #1
doomvolvo
Volvo 440 2.0

Default Turbo/supercharger

This isnt the usual "can I fit a turbo to my 1.7" but a new one! Can I fit a turbo to my 2.0???
I'm aware that just before the end of the line for the 400 series car they had developed a 2.0 turbo for the more sportier models! I have heard that a low presure turbo may be possible.
I also thought maybe a supercharger could be used although I have very little knowledge of these although I know it's a popular conversion on minis, hondas and BMW's. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
cheers
doomvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 23:13   #2
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Your best bet would be to look at a jap motor for a supercharger, see Practicle Performance car, this month they are doing something with superchargers bought abroad.

Sorry for the lack of info but it's not my scene, the 400's that is, but best of luck

Andi K
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 13:21   #3
Steve B

Did see a 480 with a T4 engine in out of a S40. Think they had problems at the time with cooling, as there wasn't much space in the engine bay. Think the T5 is a little too big.

You can Supercharge engines, but you have to watch out for your compression ratios, and you also have to upgrade valves, stems, pistons, flywheel and cams I think, (£££££'s). IMO not worth it on the 2.0ltr engine - it's not that good. I'd look into a T4 transplant, with upgraded gearbox, suspension and brakes to match. It's gonna be expensive either way though.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 13:45   #4
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

since i had a 480 i've always wondered why they turbo'd the 1.7 & not the 2, not sure how much difference there is between exhaust manifolds etc on the 1.7 compared to the 2 but would of loved to of done it
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 14:12   #5
Steve B

Yup, totally agree. The 480 Turbo could have handled a lot more power. If it was more popular in terms of sales, it may have been more cost effective to have a 2 ltr Turbo. But I think development cost were too high, for a little return.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 17:48   #6
Mark480
Loser

Volvo reportedly worked on a 2.0 litre turbo but it was never produced. The 2.0 litre was "de-tuned" to avoid competition with the 1.7 turbo. As for the manifolds they are pretty similar and a 1.7 manifold is an improvement on the 2.0 litre one.
Mark480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 23:51   #7
Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark480
Volvo reportedly worked on a 2.0 litre turbo but it was never produced. The 2.0 litre was "de-tuned" to avoid competition with the 1.7 turbo. As for the manifolds they are pretty similar and a 1.7 manifold is an improvement on the 2.0 litre one.
'De-tuned', ha ha, spot on. Although I got 141mph out of my 480 Turbo, the car should have been a lot quicker. A little more development work on the 1.7 Turbo would have really made it a flying machine...shame.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 16:41   #8
doomvolvo
Volvo 440 2.0

I'm getting a nice 115 out of my pretty standard 2.0 already with only a free flow air intake in place at the mo. Dosen't take too long to get there either! Thinking about getting the engine blue printed as this apparently makes the engine work at absolute peak for you along with a mappable chip! Just wondered about the turbo thing as its been said Volvo did develop the monster engine! I'm not really into the whole engine swap thing at least until I've blown this one up anyway. Want to see how far I can push it
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 18:05   #9
Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomvolvo
I'm getting a nice 115 out of my pretty standard 2.0 already with only a free flow air intake in place at the mo. Dosen't take too long to get there either! Thinking about getting the engine blue printed as this apparently makes the engine work at absolute peak for you along with a mappable chip! Just wondered about the turbo thing as its been said Volvo did develop the monster engine! I'm not really into the whole engine swap thing at least until I've blown this one up anyway. Want to see how far I can push it
As said, unless you've a bucket load of cash, the turbo added on to the 2ltr would require a host of new internal engine parts anyway, to cope with the extra pressure and heat given off. Some of this stuff may be one off stuff too. It would be cheaper to fit a T4 from a scrappers. The compression ratios are out too.

The part developed Volvo 2ltr Turbo, will internally be quite different in terms of parts and grade than your current normal 2ltr. So it's not a case of bolting a turbo on - as i'm sure ya know.

How about NOS? Cheap and easy power gains!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 18:11   #10
Mark480
Loser

You should be getting more than 115 out of your 2.0 litre. I have had an indicated 130+ on more than one occasion. That's a completely standard 480 with driver, passanger and full tank of fuel.

The "de-tuned" thing is absolutely true. The lack of BHP is more than made up for by the torque and smoothness, in my opinion! The 2.0 litre has been turbo'd by more than one person. Most successfully by a chap in Germany who I think at last rolling road was getting 200 BHP and over 350 Nm of torque - that was a "half finished" project!
Mark480 is offline   Reply With Quote