Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

City Safe

Views : 3897

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2018, 05:10   #21
AP90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
when did you last have a software update ? that problem was known of about 3 years ago
About 2 weeks before that incident on a service, I assumed it was an aberration because of rain beading in front of the sensor?
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 10:01   #22
Fursty Ferret

A couple of times approaching the entrance to the car park at work, where the barrier comes up over the bonnet. Quite embarrassing as there's usually a line of people waiting for the bus...

Only one time in anger after someone ran into the back of me while stationary at the back of a queue of traffic. My foot slipped off the brake and the City Safety jumped in to prevent me being shunted forwards too far.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 11:54   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP90 View Post
About 2 weeks before that incident on a service, I assumed it was an aberration because of rain beading in front of the sensor?
the wipers are designed to wipe the sensor area ...
Old Apr 8th, 2018, 12:00   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
A couple of times approaching the entrance to the car park at work, where the barrier comes up over the bonnet. Quite embarrassing as there's usually a line of people waiting for the bus...

Only one time in anger after someone ran into the back of me while stationary at the back of a queue of traffic. My foot slipped off the brake and the City Safety jumped in to prevent me being shunted forwards too far.
you must be one of those people who blind me with your stop lights in queues .. That is the very reason I say on here always use the handbrake , to stop blinding people in queues and also to stop you being shunted into the car in front when hit from behind .
Why is it universal now that just about everyone in queues especially on a hill has stop lights blazing ?
The rate of stop light bulbs blowing in the last 5 years is incredible . In the preceding 40 years it has been almost unheard of to see stop lights blowing on Volvos , I still have stop light bulbs working in my other car which I fitted in 1979 .
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 04:39   #25
AP90

Quote:
the wipers are designed to wipe the sensor area ...
Wipers were on pause/delayed wipe mode and I always treat the screen with rain x which creates beading
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 11:15   #26
Fellwalker

Quote:
you must be one of those people who blind me with your stop lights in queues .. That is the very reason I say on here always use the handbrake , to stop blinding people in queues and also to stop you being shunted into the car in front when hit from behind .
Why is it universal now that just about everyone in queues especially on a hill has stop lights blazing ?
The rate of stop light bulbs blowing in the last 5 years is incredible . In the preceding 40 years it has been almost unheard of to see stop lights blowing on Volvos , I still have stop light bulbs working in my other car which I fitted in 1979 .
Because if you put your hand brake on, you also have to put the car into neutral before releasing the foot brake. Otherwise the engine starts up again. Then when the time comes to go, the idiots behind scream at you because you have to brake first, then engage gear before pulling away.
Not that it stops me, but some of them do get really upset when the light goes green and I brake!
As a corollary, it has saved me several times at the cross roads near my house, because other idiots continue to fly through on the main road AFTER their lights have turned red. Had I set off as my lights turned green, I'd have been hit on more than one occasion.
As a design fault in the XC60, when I do engage the handbrake, I have to stretch forwards and push with my right finger, which is still counter intuitive after 3 years ownership. It is not immediately to hand like my 20-odd previous cars were in the centre console without any stretch.
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 12:34   #27
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
you must be one of those people who blind me with your stop lights in queues
Do you genuinely put your handbrake on and the car into neutral every single time you come to a halt in stop-start traffic? At traffic lights, sure, but even then if I’m at the back of the line I’ll sit with my foot on the brake to make it obvious to someone approaching from behind that I’m stationary.

If you’re dazzled by brake lights, you’ve got cataracts.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2018, 21:54   #28
steadvex
Master Member

I was told we should be using our brake lights when stopped as most cars now have drl to identify you are infact stopped and don't just have your lights on to hopefully prevent someone rear ending you. Sounds daft, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense.... Or at least I use it as a justification

Only ever started using the brakes and holding them down since having an Auto, just don't like that feeling of the engine creep against the handbrake and putting it into neutral every time. I personally get more annoyed at having to apply the brake to go between N to D and I also feel its more annoying having brake lights and reverse lights flashed at you depending if a car is in P or N... Why can't auto's just not creep, especially hybrids? I feel its counter productive me having to use the brake to stop an electric motor in traffic, I get it with a traditional auto box as it would have to disengage but an electric motor? just don't give it power!

Trusty off topic speech!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 09:20   #29
Chief inspector
Master Member

Certainly on the system Mercedes use with the foot brake auto hold on the auto, the LED stop lights dim to the ‘legal minimum’ after one second of activation to dull the blinding. I know if the newer Volvo’s that have the auto hold but dont know if it works the same way, but something could be done with software.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 13:02   #30
pendle

hi i have the city safe on my s60 d4, having driven VW for the last 15 years didnt know what it was, i was in a queue of slow moving traffic, i acclerated to catch up with the car in front, the city safe feature kicked in abolutely scared the pants off me I wondered what had gone on, but its never done it again.
pendle is offline   Reply With Quote