Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELLLLLPP!! Oil filter disaster 440/1.9 TD

Views : 2766

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 21:34   #21
rustyold440

Hi Again chaps, update from the disasterzone

Went to Halfrauds and brought a 22mm deep reach driver, whipped out the oil pressure switch and began to rotate the oil cooler.

About 1/4 turn later it bumps into the mounting bracket for the PAS, which looks like for good measure has the alternator bracket mounted to it.

Loosened the two bolts at the front to see if I could pry it away to make space just to turn the cooler more.

*sigh*

Anyone know what I should be doing next? Am I supposed to take the alternator then the PAS pump? Then presumably there are some more bolts before I can get this clear

I'm off to Devon for a weeks holiday on Saturday, looks like that will be in the Honda :/
rustyold440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 21:52   #22
Doctor Who ?

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyold440 View Post
Hi Again chaps, update from the disasterzone

Went to Halfrauds and brought a 22mm deep reach driver, whipped out the oil pressure switch and began to rotate the oil cooler.

About 1/4 turn later it bumps into the mounting bracket for the PAS, which looks like for good measure has the alternator bracket mounted to it.

Loosened the two bolts at the front to see if I could pry it away to make space just to turn the cooler more.

*sigh*

Anyone know what I should be doing next? Am I supposed to take the alternator then the PAS pump? Then presumably there are some more bolts before I can get this clear

I'm off to Devon for a weeks holiday on Saturday, looks like that will be in the Honda :/
Wow it sounds like you WILL NEED A Holiday after all this aggro ... May the force remain with you !

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 20:35   #23
andy100

I too went to halfords today and bought myself a nice big oil filter removal chain for under £5. I must say, it works a treat.
andy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 22:03   #24
rustyold440

Thanks for that
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:27   #25
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Have you priced up an oil cooler for your car yet? It maybe worth sacrifising it and mangling that up to get the whole lot off. I priced one for my d24, the screw on one is £39.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 16:56   #26
rustyold440

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Have you priced up an oil cooler for your car yet? It maybe worth sacrifising it and mangling that up to get the whole lot off. I priced one for my d24, the screw on one is £39.
I'd hoped to get it off without too much mangling, my reasons:
1) I can't really get anything to mangle close to it - its hard even to get a hand to it, let alone a grinder.
2) It looks like I need to remove some brackets to spin it off, if I mangle it and buy a new one, I still need to remove the same brackets to spin the new shiney one on to the block
3) If done properly It might come off and be perfectly re-usable

I'm going into the garage now to try to slacken the alternator and PAS mountings and find the rest of the bolts to see if I can budge the PAS bracket out of the way so I can spin it off. If anyone has any hints or tips here, please don't hold back.

Cheers everyone
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 19:32   #27
rustyold440

Back now in the warm after a couple of hours messing. Getting the PAS bracket out of the way was simple, slacken alternator, remove 2 bolts from block, 2 bolts from PAS pump, remove. Then I twisted off the jubilee clips from the water pipes to the oil cooler, and removed the remnants of water pipe.

Does it spin off?? nope.

There are two pipes which are part of the the cooler one of which actually crashes into the cast-iron bolt-hole mount thing used to attach the PAS bracket.

So, the oil cooler is a one peice component right? And when you try to spin it off, the inner of the two pipes crashes into a cast iron part of the block. I'm completely stumped as to how they ever fit them on when they build the engine up.

Can anyone enlighten me ? I need to get this oil cooler out....
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 19:33   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post

Last time i bought one the same size for a 960 it was £150 and that was about 5 years ago . £ 39 is a bargain and too good to be true ! what was the part number?
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 19:39   #29
Clan
Experienced Member

you might think the oil filter screws up against the cooler to hold it to the block but no , the hollow bolt with the oil filter threads on holds the cooler to the block . you need to separate the remains of the filter from the cooler somehow ...
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 19:57   #30
rustyold440

Ah.. that explains all. I'd love to have an exploding diagram to hand. Does this mean that once the oil filter is off, the oil cooler will simply slide forwards off the bolt, or is it somehow threaded too?

If I need to get the remains of the filter base off, I think my only hope is grinding (I've exhausted all the brute force methods I know, and trust me when I say that this is unreasonably tight)

If its been x'd I'll probably have to somehow get the threaded bolt out too