Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)

Views : 22854

Replies : 205

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Have Volvo vehicles improved since being bought by Ford?
Rating 1 to 6. (1 - Yes, 6 - No)
Yes, love 'em! 44 16.30%
I like some of the new models 107 39.63%
Could be better, but the XC90 is nice! 119 44.07%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:37   #51
dodgyken
Master Member

I did a calculation not to long ago which used the various inflation indexes since 1988 to calculate how much my 760 GLE would cost new today. I know new cars have more toys, but in essence a top of the range 760 is the same as a top of the range S80.

The answer - about £58000 - which is slightly more than a S80.

Something has to give.

On another point, does anyone see the irony in Yamaha designing an building Volvos V8, when Yamaha are Volvos biggest rival in the boat engine bulding market?
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 14:27   #52
MTerry
Bored Member

I've had two run-ins involving old Volvos. In the first, a 16-year-old decided to make a right turn from the left lane in an early 80's 240 while I was passing in my '92 Toyota. The Toyota had a three inch deep gash all the way down the left side that left the door inoperable. The Volvo had a few scrapes on its rubber bumper cover. I now own a 740 estate. Last Friday on the Baltimore Beltway I met a guy in a Chevy truck that didn't know what a turn signal was for or that faster traffic on the left should have the right of way. After bouncing his front bumper off the right rear fender, all I had to do was wax the rubber that scraped onto the body off. Didn't even damage the paint or crack the light. I'm thinking I'd be pricing new fenders and lights right now with a new "better" Volvo. They might be better in serious crashes, but in minor stuff, the old ones are tanks.
Gloria - '93 244 in Ruby Red Metallic
Sandy Blu - '07 C70, Celestial Blue
MTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 00:29   #53
Jim760
Mr G

i dont think the newer ones are "all that" safer really.... we need to crash a 740 into an s60 and see what happens!
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:09   #54
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim760 View Post
i dont think the newer ones are "all that" safer really.... we need to crash a 740 into an s60 and see what happens!
They are really ,
The 700 was mechanicaly strong and robust with a huge crumple zone . The newer cars are much more scientific with many different grades of steel to crush at different rates and side impact protection is much better , not to mention all the air bags and seat construction and anti whiplash mechanisms , pre tensioning seat belts , softer dashes and reinforced footwells etc ..
You are a lot better off in a 700 than a lot of todays new cars but the 2000- volvos are still world leaders ..

Fords are getting safer too thanks to the Volvo safety center the Focus isnt a bad car now it has decent sills not the weedy type that usualy graced Fords ! However compare the rear of a S40/V50 to a new Focus , There is a huge Boron Steel beam integral with the body across the chassis of the S40/V50 strong enough to mount a towbar ,Thats in addition to the beam in the bumper , look at the Focus what do you see ? Nothing !
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 19:06   #55
laurence

Cool

ford only bought volvo to get their technology and they have used this in all of their new cars,look at the new focus rs its got the t5 engine in,i hope that they do sell it and i hope the sweeds gain control of it again as for quality,well all car manufacturers have done that just look at the rubbish merk are spewing out, all i can say is weve had the best era of cars and we should enjoy them.
laurence

laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 04:08   #56
Jim760
Mr G

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
ford only bought volvo to get their technology and they have used this in all of their new cars,look at the new focus rs its got the t5 engine in,i hope that they do sell it and i hope the sweeds gain control of it again as for quality,well all car manufacturers have done that just look at the rubbish merk are spewing out, all i can say is weve had the best era of cars and we should enjoy them.
laurence

i cant say it any better! a couple of points..

"ford only bought volvo to get their technology and they have used this in all of their new cars"

correct,the move was made because they had nothing of any real decency imo.

"weve had the best era of cars and we should enjoy them."

agreed

and Clan, look at the newxc70 is it? how much like aford modeo estate does it look? ALOT! its one thingford owning volvo, but its going too far making their own cars very close to volvos, it migh tbe vice versa, a volvo desin used by ford... either way, as far as i am concerned its not on!

as for being better off in a 700 compared to most newer cars, i agree fully with this, and have seen it, and expereiance dit personaly, ive had a corsa go into my limo,it bent my bumper mount...the corsa was a write off!
apparently she didn't realise that i had stopped....lol is all i can say.
940 GL 850 GL 760 TIC V70 Torslanda
Jim760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 00:54   #57
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

One of the key selling points for the big Volvo estates, not considering comfort and safety, was the size.
This for the 200's and more recently the 700's and 900's..
This ably assisted by the boxy shape of the cars. After all, it is easier to get a big oblong box into a big oblong box shaped car with a big oblong/square opening.

These attributes were almost unique to Volvo. That along with the size of the cars....

The newest big Volvo estate is, well, small!! Is no longer the biggest estate in its class.
The competition have seen the gap in the market and pretty much taken it...
And have ford helped this? Doesn't look like it..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:18   #58
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I had a 106 run into the back of my 2110 V70 and cracked the rear bumper and it was a small crack and the 106 was written off. I was amazed at there being so loittle damage to the Volvo and the 106 was totally wrecked. A good advert for Volvo safety and build quality.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:45   #59
dodgyken
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
I had a 106 run into the back of my 2110 V70 and cracked the rear bumper and it was a small crack and the 106 was written off. I was amazed at there being so loittle damage to the Volvo and the 106 was totally wrecked. A good advert for Volvo safety and build quality.
And a great advert for Volvos time travelling ability
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 20:56   #60
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Thanks I must have stammered on my keyboard the V70 was a 2001.
Thanks again
Jim