Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

88 740 SE Estate Remote Lock

Views : 692

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 13:42   #1
TheWorstGuy

I am in need of some help here.

I recently bought a remote fob locking kit for my Volvo 740. Following the diagrams and knowing bits aswell, I proceeded to fit this remote lock.

I have tried different variations to installing it, but my main problem in getting the thing to work correctly is the internal drivers door switch, (located between the 4 electric window buttons.

Now, before I started trying this, the switch did work. But since trying, i can no longer get this switch to work. I have returned all relevant wiring to its original form, and still it dont work. The central locking does work though. Either by key or latch, but not this switch.

The haynes manual isnt very clear about this type of central locking, so is of no help.

My question is, is there any reason why the switch isnt working but the rest of the central locking is working, and is this also hampering with my success at installing the remote lock kit.

If anyone has completed in fitting a remote lock kit onto a 740 SE, please do post how you xompleted the task.

Many thx in advance.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 15:28   #2
PAZ3154
Glad to be back

Default RE: 88 740 SE Estate Remote Lock

i'm not sure i understand. do you mean there is a switch in the middle of your window switches which operates the central locking? all i've ever seen ther is the switch to cut off the rear door window switches. are you sure it definately operates the central locking?
PAZ3154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 23:39   #3
George Holmer

I am not completely sure what it is that does not work but what I can say is that I have fitted remote locking to five Volvo 740/940 ranging from 1987-1995 using a kit from Microscan. The trick is to fit a two wire motor to the driver door as the driver door does not have a locking motor like the other doors. When you operate the lock on the driver door, the switch in the door registers a locking or unlocking operation and sends a current to the relay which then sends current to the locking motors in the other doors to open or lock. By fitting a two wire locking motor, you are able to operate the driver door lock using the remote. Basically, the remote fob sends a signal to the reciever which thens sends current to the two wire motor in the driver door, the motor being connected by way of a mechanical rod to the locking rod in the driver door and the motor then operates the driver lock by pushing the rod up or down which then activates the switch in the driver door which then operates the central locking in the normal fashion.

If you are saying that the central locking system locks and unlocks the other doors but not the driver door, the rod system has come misaligned in the driver door. This is truly fiddly but has to be right to the milimetre.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
1995 Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 Auto
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto
1988 Volvo 745 GL
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 00:37   #4
TheWorstGuy

Hi,

Thank you for your input.

I can confirm taht the switch is for central locking, (I also have a rear window lock switch aswell).

I have since also, got the 4 other locks working on the fob, except the drivers door, for the reasons stated above.

I am going to the scrappy to grab another motor, and then install that inplace of the current one on the drivers door, as the drivers door switch is now obsolete.

Now onto the next little project. (Dunno what yet, but im looking to do all I can for me `ole ovlov).

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:52   #5
George Holmer

That switch is not factory but I think some taxis had them in Sweden, police cars often did and some US spec cars. Of course, your's is RHD I am guessing so presumably it is just something someone fitted.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
1995 Volvo 850 GLT 2.5 Auto
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto
1988 Volvo 745 GL
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:23   #6
TheWorstGuy

You are correct. It wasnt a factory fitted door switch.

Have now got a passenger side motor and fitted it and all works well.