Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2010 1.6 DrivE 130K miles stalling/ not starting

Views : 460

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2024, 23:03   #1
GrumpyMonkey

Default V70 2010 1.6 DrivE 130K miles stalling/ not starting

Hi all,

The car has been getting steadily worse over the last year or so. It would cut out a couple three times and refuse to start. Then it would be fine for months. There were never any DTCs that were relevant. When it runs it's smooth and behaves normally. I've read this may be down to a failing fuel pressure sensor.

I've taken the current sensor out and bought a matching replacement (not arrived yet). When I removed the EGR for access one of the bolts was sooty. When I took the EGR off there was soot everywhere at the back of the engine. It seems to be coming from the cooler EGR junction, but the circle clamp was in the right place and wasn't loose. Anybody seen this before?

I am tempted to put it back with a smear of exhaust paste on the mating surfaces.
GrumpyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 15:30   #2
spottedhaggis

Hey all, so im pleased to report I managed to change the oil and filter with no spills or issues. I purchased a set of different oil filter sockets, I had way too much oil in the car draining nearly 7 litres of of it,. I put in exactly 5.9 litres of oil and on board days it's prefect now.

Haven't dine fuel filter yet but I dont expect any issues, really chuffed I can service my own car now, seems stupid to others but saves me 130 quid every time so I'm pleased. I'll be doing my gf audi a4 as well i think

Rymans everyone for guidance and pointers.

One issue was torque wrench I got one thinking they were all the same but mine only went up to 22nm but I tightened it up to what it felt like when I removed it, checked for leaks and none visible
spottedhaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 20:36   #3
GrumpyMonkey

Enlighten me. Just exactly how is your reply anything to do with my question?
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 20:15   #4
ShadeTek
Premier Member

These engines are very fussy about the fuel filter. If it isn't repalced it will give you a "reduced performance" warning under heavy loads. Have you replaced the filter recently?

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 14:55   #5
GrumpyMonkey

Shadetek.

I replaced the fuel filter before this fault developed, but there was no obvious change in performance.

I have now replaced the fuel pressure sensor. The car no longer stalls and appears to drive perfectly well. It has no codes and the idle issue has gone. However, it smells "fumy" to me for no obvious reason.

The soot on the back of the engine was caused by the gasket on the egr valve slipping, leaving a small gap, when it was replaced. It has been installed correctly now.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 18:41   #6
GrumpyMonkey

Hi,

It is fixed. The smell just seems to be warm diesel that spilt on the gear box when removing the fuel lines.

It's pulling better than it ever did with more power, so perhaps the sensor has been weak for sometime.

It's been well spanked over many miles with no hesitation or stalling.

The sensor part number is 6ph1001.