Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's this then ?

Views : 1441

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2004, 20:33   #11
issush

>Do you constantly need to top up the power steering?

I've only had the car for three months and I've just topped it up the once. So I don't suppose the leak is too excessive...

Of course, you suggesting that the Volvo MOT might be over zealous has fuelled my existing concern.

The other suggestion I've had is to use the leak fixing oil that you can buy, but I've written that off as a short term fix. But then again it's 145 pounds and 8 hours work cheaper :-)

Cheers,

Simon
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 20:59   #12
sholtby
Premier Member

Default RE: What's this then ?

Clean any oil up on the steering rack and take the car for a drive and see if any more appears. If not get it MOT'd somewhere else and just keep an eye on the fluid level. If it does drop I'd change the rack.
Worn front brake pads aren't an MOT failure but low braking efficiency is. I've known cars pass where almost all the friction material has gone.
My fathers Audi has a worn link bar but each year they put it down as an 'advise' not a fail. I must get round to replacing it as its only cheap.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 07:30   #13
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Default RE: What's this then ?

I tend to agree with Simon.

It may also be worth changing the Power steering fluid you can just suck the old stuff out of the tank and replace, it may take a couple of goes. Use Dexron III ATF.

Drop link is cheap and easy to change.

Use Lucas brake pads they are OEM and won't squeel. As Simon has said not an MOT failure but probably wants doing anyway.

How can they tell if a brake pipe is seized on an MOT they are not allowed to remove a wheel.

Take it somewhere else for an MOT.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 08:11   #14
issush

>How can they tell if a brake pipe is seized on an MOT they
>are not allowed to remove a wheel.

Mmm. Good question.

>Take it somewhere else for an MOT.

Good advice. I've sourced the parts myself, arranged the work to be done by someone I know and trust, and they'll take it to a well known (non Volvo) local MOT centre.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice.

Simon