Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noises!!!

Views : 949

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2004, 18:18   #1
RedR

Hi all,

You all know about my rebuilt Red 855R by now!!!

Well, the last couple of mornings, on it's initial start-up, theres a grinding screeching noise coming from under the hood. It normally only lasts for about 5 seconds, but this morning it lasted for about 10, so I got out quickly to try and diagnose the noises wherabouts.

I think it's the power steering pump (The only untouched assembly on the car!!!), but as this area is quite crowded, I thought I'd ask on here if this is a common fault, or if anyone has ever experienced this problem themselves.

I replaced the bearings in the Alternator, the tensioner pulley is new as is the belt itself.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 18:37   #2
k690bpp

the teeniest tinyest bit of wd40 might help ;)
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 20:44   #3
vjck_uk
Premier member

Default RE: Noises!!!

That sounds like an accessory belt slipping,see what the tension is like and the condition.
Twist it a bit and have a look at the underside,if it got a glazed look then although it may be tight enough it wants replacing.
See it the bottom of the grooves on the v's are cleaned up if they are right to the bottom then it's definatly knackered.
vjck_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 20:45   #4
gary1638

You could always take off the belt and then start it up. No noise means belt related. This would confirm power steering pump if all else has been replaced.

Gary
gary1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 22:23   #5
burchi

Hi Nigel

Just a long shot.....Did you renew/repair the starter motor on your rebuild?

I ask as when I had my 850 T5, my starter used to carry on turning for approx 5-10 secs after firing giving a grinding type noise. I replaced it and problem gone!

All the best

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 01:19   #6
RedR

Thanks for your replies guys. I know it's not the starter, it's not that kind of noise.

I also know it's not the belt, as I said in my post, it's new!!

It sounds to me as if a bearing is breaking down.

I just wondered if anyone had come across this problem before, and it turned out to be the PSP.
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:52   #7
sholtby
Premier Member

Is the accessory belt tensionr OK? Mine was virtually seized when I bought the car. I freed iy by removing the belt and using my momemade tool, worked the adjuster from side to side whilst adding a few drops of oil.
This is something that is supposed to be done every service like oiling the clutch arm. But I'm sure it gets neglected.
I replaced my belt with one from ECP and it was the wrong size, too short. Have you got the correct belt on?

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 18:57   #8
RedR

Once again, Simon comes back with a fantastic reply!!! I just went out and checked it, and sure enough it is a little stiffer than I think it should be!! I can remember cleaning it up, but to be quite honest, I dont remember oiling it again?? Doh!!!!

Did yours make a noise when cold Simon??

The belt I originally got from ECP was the wrong length!! I thought I could use it on my non Air Con T5, but it was too long for that one!!!! No Simon, it has the right length belt on it now.

Thanks again Simon. I'll take the belt off in the morning, and lubricate the adjuster.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 19:28   #9
sholtby
Premier Member

On the subject of drive belts for an 850 there are 2 lengths that will fit an 850 (with aircon) depending on how you route the belt. It was found with the earlier routing that the alternator would slip and so a longer belt was used that gave greater contact with the alternator pulley. The belt that ECP sell doesnt fit which ever way you route it.
The one you want is Dayco 6PK1750 which ECP sell and their part number is 202 44 0351. It is actually labeled for a Golf/ Corrado G60!
Whenever I buy a car I always buy a new accessories belt and keep the old one as a spare in the boot incase the belt should ever snap. I welded a tool up myself from some box tube steel which I also keep in the boot of my car to operate the tensioner.
Even if you cant fit the belt yourself and it is quite difficult, or if it is throwing it down with rain. When you call the AA guy out you can hand him a replacement belt.
I think my drive belt did squeal on start up when I bought the car. With the belt removed, just work the tensioner from side to side while adding a few drops of oil. Not too much or it will I think end up on the crank pulley and possibly the cambelt which you dont want to happen.

Simon
sholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 00:12   #10
RedR

Simon,

You were perfectly correct with your advice!!! I thought the Power Steering Pump had gone, and it was the belt slipping!! I must be honest, I've never heard a slipping belt make that horrible sound.

Anyway, the tensioner is now sorted, and I think the noise has gone, though I may take the tensioner off the car at the weekend and see if i can clean it out some more, as it does feel a little stickier than I think it should.

Thanks again my friend, you could well have saved me a substantial amount of wasted time and money.