Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 early front wings

Views : 1002

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2010, 17:51   #1
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Default 145 early front wings

Hi all,
I have been lurking around the forum for a while as a wannabe 145 owner! I have just come away from viewing one that is in dire need of replacement front wings and, forgive my ignorance, was wondering how easily obtainable they are?
Many thanks in advance!
WPR678B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 21:39   #2
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Last year a Forums lister told me new ones were still available, but at a price - something like £150 each from memory. However I have seen fibreglass ones on stockists lists but have never come across one personally.

If your proposed purchase is a late car, ie with high-up front indicators, have a look at the yellow ones listed here.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Audrey Old For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2010, 23:18   #3
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Many thanks for your reply. I have noticed the yellow one's on here that you mention, but the car has the early (lower) indicators and i would like to keep it that way if possible, but the wings really have had it!
I have been unable to find any company listing any wings for the 140 series, but i may be looking in the wrong place!
Any pointers would be a great help please!
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 10:21   #4
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

http://www.smithanddeakin.co.uk/T-Z.htm

Scroll down to Volvo and the price for an un-fettled wing is £85.75 + £8.25 carriage. All goods and carriage charges include VAT at 17.5%.

When I say un-fettled what I mean is: the wing comes untrimmed and undrilled, so it can be trimmed exactly to shape for the car it is going on. The (lower) indicator hole is indented in the glass fibre and just needs cutting out to shape.

Hth, C.A.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 17:12   #5
john h
VOC Member

If you want steel, a bodyshop could easily modify the late wings, welding up the larger indicator holes and cutting smaller ones lower down.

I don't know the year of yours, the very early 145 had a smaller wheelarch too, but who would know?

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 20:31   #6
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

Well i went for it and have today taken delivery of it! (see other thread in general)
Mine is a 1970 and i would really love to keep to steel if possible and having had a good look at the wings on there they are not as bad as they first looked. I suspect i will end up repairing what i have unless another pair come up in the mean time.
Many thanks for the replies though and watch out for more questions from me as i lauch myself on a new voyage of discovery!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 21:56   #7
Tattyoldvan

If anyone has some rusty late wings i'm sure the lower section would be make these easily salvagable.
i forgot to ask if you frequented these forums!
Tattyoldvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 22:21   #8
WPR678B
Ex 145 owner

I have been in the background on here for a while, but can see myself being a very active question asking member now!!