Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 brake calliper query

Views : 584

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 07:27   #1
JDW3696

Default 740 brake calliper query

Hello everyone,
I am after some advice regarding the brake callipers on my car. I spent most of last night trying to find the answer but I still can't figure it out.
I am fitting some new wheels to the car but was told to check that I don't have large callipers so the wheels will clear them. Non standard wheels.
I looked on the vin plate and apparently my car which is a 1988 740 2.3gle non abs (I think) manual was fitted with bendix front callipers and ate on the rears. Car has 15 inch standard wheels.
I couldn’t figure out if this meant they are large callipers or small. It looks like there were quite a few different callipers used. 32mm piston up to 40mm i believe.
Ideally I'd like to figure this out without taking the wheel off but I suppose that is an option if I can't.
If anyone could assist or point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated.
Many thanks
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 09:01   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

What are the specs on the wheels you are intending on fitting including diameter, width and offset?

The easiest way if telling is just to trial fit them if you've got access to them.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 09:22   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Were the Bendix calipers dual piston ? If that is the case they could be bigger than the single piston Girling caliper

Last edited by griston64; Jan 15th, 2021 at 09:36.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 09:23   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You'll have to take the old wheels off at some point Joe to fit the new ones!

Like Luke said, the best way is a trial fit of the new wheels.

Volvo often had reinforcing webs on the inside of the alloys which is where the brake caliper problems came from.

Generally the larger the discs, the bigger you have to go on Volvo wheels but for aftermarket you may get away with one size down if they don't have similar reinforcement on the inside.

Fairly certain you'll have 15" wheels on an 88 GLE so if you're going to 16" or larger you shouldn't have a problem.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 12:39   #5
JDW3696

Thanks everyone for your replies. I currently have 25 inch 195 55 15 wheels fitted. I'm going to put 17 inch wheels on it do hopefully okay. The shop i was going to get the wheels from said
If I tried to retrofit the wheels I'd have to buy them.
They also said depends what callipers you have as to whether they fit or not which is what got me thinking. I'm going to try somewhere else now that is happy to take the wheels off and do it all properly.
Looking into it though it would appear Volvo brakes are slightly confusing.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 13:26   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I currently have 25 inch 195 55 15 wheels fitted. I'm going to put 17 inch wheels on it do hopefully okay. The shop i was going to get the wheels from said
If I tried to retrofit the wheels I'd have to buy them.
They also said depends what callipers you have as to whether they fit or not which is what got me thinking. I'm going to try somewhere else now that is happy to take the wheels off and do it all properly.
Looking into it though it would appear Volvo brakes are slightly confusing.
Ignoring the typo, you have 15" wheels with 195/55/15 tyres - some places if they're in a snotty mood will follow exactly the words you say when you request a job to be done.

Also if the wheel shop won't even allow you a trial fit to sell the product they're trying to sell you, they aren't much good - go somewhere else!

You will find the ride is harsh with 17" wheels though, despite the standard, relatively soft suspension. Tyres will likely be 215/35/17 which will be expensive and may cause other problems with fouling the suspension on full lock.

You may find it's a better compromise to fit some 16" wheels with 205/55/16 tyres, the tyres are much more widely available so are cheaper, still compliant enough to give a smooth ride and stiff enough to improve roadholding and handling.

You could then in theory fit a set of wheels from a Mk2 960/V90 but you will have to fit 20mm spacers as they use a different offset. Can't remember if the Mk1 960 used any 16" wheels but they would be the right offset.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 16:49   #7
JDW3696

That's very interesting. Thanks for that. I will shop around and try to find somewhere that will allow me to trial fit them and go from there.
I'll take note of what you said about the wheel size. Dont want to ruin the comfort.
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 18:47   #8
griston64
Premier Member

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3009.JPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
That's very interesting. Thanks for that. I will shop around and try to find somewhere that will allow me to trial fit them and go from there.
I'll take note of what you said about the wheel size. Dont want to ruin the comfort.
Joe
I have a set of refurbished Augira's that I'm toying with selling as I now have Galaxies. They are 16" and a direct fit
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 19:22   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Attachment 132731

Attachment 132732

I have a set of refurbished Augira's that I'm toying with selling as I now have Galaxies. They are 16" and a direct fit
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, i think they'd look good on a 740...............

Old Jan 15th, 2021, 21:25   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, i think they'd look good on a 740...............
Or a black 760 turbo saloon... why did I sell the spare set I had!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: