Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

After some advice on a V50 i may be buying.

Views : 1073

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 01:51   #1
Piepiepie

Default After some advice on a V50 i may be buying.

Firstly, this place seems a wealth of information, and i hope someone can offer some advice.

In short, ive seen a 2008 R Design 2.0d Sport, in just the right colour i want and it looks lovely, with 71k on the clock.

It is an ex lease car from Lloyds TSB (so opinions on this please). The dealer has sent me a copy of the MoT, V5, Service Book and Lloyds maintainence print. The car has had absolutely nothing go wrong for its entire life, with the exception of a new windscreen due to a crack, at 30k. Everything else has been tyres, brakes, wipers and bulbs, and has a full Volvo dealer service history.

My big question is about the DPF. I've heard horror stories about the 72k service being £1500 and upwards. The dealer (not a volvo dealer) states he will get the car serviced, prior to delivery, however i doubt he will be willing to pay all this money for the DPF issue. So any advice on this would be appreciated.

On a similar note, i read another topic that states that the eigth digit of the Vin would be a 5, if the vehicle had DPF. On the vin, number 7 is a 5, and number 8 is a four (if that makes sense lol!)

The vin format is like this according to the V5;
YV1MW754182****** (with * being 6 random numbers).

If im reading it correctly, does that mean no DPF, no fluid and no massive expensive service or regular fluid top-ups? If so, this may just be my justification for buying the car... A topic like this serves to confuse me a little;
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=126803

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated, advice on the DPF issue that i might not even need to worry about, and whether you would touch a lease car. Looking at pictures, the car looks pretty mint.

Im coming from an ST220 if anyone cares, i know the performance wont be anywhere near the Volvo, but the ST is using more fuel than the Exxon Valdez and has been incredibly unreliable in the 10,000 miles i've owned it.

Cheers!

Last edited by Piepiepie; Jun 20th, 2011 at 02:25.
Piepiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 23:09   #2
stevo83
Living legend

Coming from a ST220, maybe you should look at a D5?

KEEP 'ER LIT!
stevo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 15:59   #3
Dave Z

Personally, i would (and have) walk away from any car that came from a lease company. I'm sure there are plenty of company/fleet car drivers that love their car as if it were their own, but in my experience it's often the opposite. A lease company that was the previous owner on a car i was looking at last year, turned out to be linked with a large rental car company and you sure as hell wouldn't want to land an ex-rental!

What mpg were you managing in your ST220? I have a 57-plate T5 (230bhp) and easily manage 28mpg with a mix of highway/town driving and a heavy foot. Probably saved myself several grand vs buying a 2.0d or D5 in similar spec/condition which would've taken years to make up in reduced fuel costs (with my mileage anyway). Don't jump on the diesel bandwagon unless you're sure it's going to pay for itself fairly quickly.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 18:11   #4
voldo

agree with Dave, Diesel is only of any benefit if you are doing over 12,000 miles a year, the Petrol would be cheaper to buy, less likely to have problems, similar performance (better) and nicer to drive also!
voldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 18:17   #5
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile 70K service

I think the DPF has to be replaced, and hence the large price tag for the 70k service, the bigger engines like the D5 regenerate and dont require that the DPF be replaced. Worth checking with a dealer as they can tell you what the situ is, as you say something yould want to get done before buying it then your good for 70k more miles !
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 19:00   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

4 = euro 4 and NO eolys top up and NO particle filter to change at 75000 miles, but you will need an air filter and fuel filter ..
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 13:11   #7
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Thanks clan

Ignore my incorrect answer !,.. clan is the font of all knowledge on here ! thanks for putting that one str8 !
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 20:40   #8
72dudes

Piepiepie,

If the car is the right price for that sort of mileage, it's worth considering. I used to run company cars and treat them like they were my own; so did some of my colleagues.

Unfortunately, many didn't as well! But you have the knowledge that everything has been done on time throughout it's life so far.

It also depends how much mileage you are going to add to that 71k. You could be looking at massive further depreciation if you are going to hit 100k by the time the car is 5 years old.

As Clan said, no DPF to change. If the car is mint inside, then chances are it's been loved (good valeting, dent removal and chips away on the exterior can mask a car's hard life, but the inside gives the game away)

I know the petrol boys won't agree, but some people prefer the surge of low end torque you get from a modern diesel, so the business of how many miles you do to justify a diesel is a bit of a red herring!

Let us know which way you go.

Last edited by 72dudes; Jun 22nd, 2011 at 20:53. Reason: addition
72dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:38   #9
Piepiepie

Well, after some consideration, i bottled out of it. I managed to fix the engine light on the Mondeo, but i still regret not getting the volvo.

I think, if anything, i was a bit too tight (lol)! It was up for £10,750. Its now down to £10,250 but i dont know, im just not sure
Piepiepie is offline   Reply With Quote