Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 stolen from driveway

Views : 63540

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2018, 11:38   #141
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You can bet your life volvo are developing something right now to counteract this ,maybe a software of some type such as pressing two buttons at the same time when you get out to disable Keyless entry ... Their security has always been leading until some clever thieves developed this new method of stealing cars ..
The fun with all these systems is playing the patent game to make sure its unique such that it does not require licensing i.e. a similar motion based system is mentioned in this patent - https://patents.google.com/patent/US5973611A/en where it only enables the transmitter when it detects motion.
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 17:20   #142
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You can bet your life volvo are developing something right now to counteract this ,maybe a software of some type such as pressing two buttons at the same time when you get out to disable Keyless entry ... Their security has always been leading until some clever thieves developed this new method of stealing cars ..
Unfortunately these type of thefts have been happening for at least the last 5 years so the time to do something about it has long since past. It's just sheer negligence on manufacturers part too have allowed it to go on for so long.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 17:25   #143
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Unfortunately these type of thefts have been happening for at least the last 5 years so the time to do something about it has long since past. It's just sheer negligence on manufacturers part too have allowed it to go on for so long.
I agree 100% (my first thoughts at the post reading Volvo are on the case)If Volvo and other manufactures were that concerned about it would have done something years ago.
Old Dec 26th, 2018, 20:38   #144
dchbrown

I work in security, specifically around its cyber security (or not!) and you would be surprised at how bad most security systems are so I have no doubt that car manufacturers are just as behind the criminals.

The harsh reality is that a car manufacturer has no incentive to make their car more secure, it’s not a feature they can “sell” or make more money on so long as they are on a level playing field with the rest of the market. In this case keyless entry is a problem for all makes therefore they have no incentive to fix it for now.

This is the same case and situation for most of the smart home kit, routers etc etc etc a lot of us are putting in our homes. People don’t think that they will get “hacked” and it won’t happen to them. A person might be worried but not enough people are for companies to do anything about it.

We all need to start demanding better security in all the technology products we buy, and an internet connected car is something that should be locked down completely!

Last edited by dchbrown; Dec 26th, 2018 at 20:40.
dchbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dchbrown For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 12:16   #145
steve99uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
I sympathise with your predicament, Steve. Hopefully there will a new car sat o your drive in the not too distant future.

Not specifically relating to your case, Steve, however I do wonder if, the albeit minor risk, of advertising one's rough location and detail of one's car on an open public forum is wise??
Its a good point although my post town is Pinner I actually don't live in Pinner.

I think that it's one of these -
  • Followed home
  • Chance
  • Someone driving through Pinner and associated towns looking for my car as they saw my posts on this forum
  • Seen by someone who tipped off someone etc.
  • Knowing it was at this address

Steve
steve99uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 12:54   #146
Bernard F

I should imagine that many owners of high spec cars already have the best thief deterrent already at their home. It’s called a secure locked garage. I also suspect that some don’t use it for its intended purpose.
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 13:42   #147
Deman77
Master Member

My assumption is that if someone wants to take your car bad enough they will take it.
With perfect car security they would probably break into your house. With perfectly secure house they will wait for you around the corner to step out of the car and then step in the way and ask for the keys. As long as demand for this stolen car exists there will be people who would do what needs to be done to satisfy it.
If my car were to be stolen my preference by some margin is that it is taken from the drive whilst my family and I are safely asleep.
So it should have anti-theft measures that’s on par with rest of the industry to rule out inept amateurs but nothing that would mean it requires interaction with the owner to take the car.
My main anti theft measure was to go for volvo in the first place. I still think it’s mainly stolen for parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 14:13   #148
MaDProFF
Master Member

My Thoughts Deman77 is that if they are after a certain car, they may look for one on a drive first, and will make a decision against risk, getting seen, and caught, they will try somewhere else first if risks are too high, until they find one with less risks.

It is rare but they will break in, as a last resort if desperate. so the more secure, less seen, the better chance you have.

A brand new car high end is not really stolen for parts, especially a new model with a 3 year warranty, I would have thought there is very little demand, car like OP's in my view stolen to order, or stolen to sell on abroad.

Last edited by MaDProFF; Dec 27th, 2018 at 14:16.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 14:39   #149
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

What confuses me is that car manufacturers have a database of every car they make and if the car is taken to a dealer for "plug-in" diagnosis - they know. The Volvo system is especially good at this - so why can't cars that are stolen be flagged as such by dealers and if it gets presented at another dealer - anywhere in the world - it could be flagged up and any software updates/programming of new keys could be blocked?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 19:59   #150
Haldex
Premier Member

I suspect the stolen car(s) will ever see an authorized dealer.. Most of them end up in Africa, Middle East, or Albania at best..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote