Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch Part 2...progress...kinda

Views : 497

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 03:40   #1
DaWhole9

Default Ignition Switch Part 2...progress...kinda

OK. So I thought my ignition Lock Cylinder was bad. Removed it to put in a new one and realized its not the Lock Cylinder. I lubed the ignition switch with the lock cylinder removed and got the switch to go to all the positions, except when it goes to the start position, it gets stuck there, and a bit of force is needed to get it back to the other three positions. You can hear a definite "click" when you turn it to the start position. The other three positions of the ignition switch work freely. I have a push button switch installed and its not even needed to go to the starting position, except if you go there by accident, it will get stuck. Is this a common fault of the ignition? Should I look for a replacement switch and coil? Should I continue to try and work the switch and see if some use will free it up some more. It seems to be working better with a little lube and some use, but I dont wanna push it and break it completely. Here is a video...any and all advice is welcome!! Thanks!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by DaWhole9; Feb 3rd, 2020 at 04:14.
DaWhole9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 04:37   #2
blueosprey90
Master Member

I have a push button switch installed and its not even needed to go to the starting position, except if you go there by accident, it will get stuck. Is this a common fault of the ignition?

I'm a newbie too, but apparently "yes".

Should I look for a replacement switch and coil?

If you can figure out what switch to use, let me know.

Should I continue to try and work the switch and see if some use will free it up some more.

Won't help. Just risk getting key stuck when you least expect it.
blueosprey90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 05:47   #3
DaWhole9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueosprey90 View Post
I have a push button switch installed and its not even needed to go to the starting position, except if you go there by accident, it will get stuck. Is this a common fault of the ignition?

I'm a newbie too, but apparently "yes".

Should I look for a replacement switch and coil?

If you can figure out what switch to use, let me know.

Should I continue to try and work the switch and see if some use will free it up some more.

Won't help. Just risk getting key stuck when you least expect it.

My plan would be to get a stock replacement switch and coil thats in working order. I have a push button switch installed already...just want to make it as reliable and easy as possible.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:28   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

DW9;

"I have a push button switch installed and its not even needed to go to the starting position, " ...I don't quite understand...why would it??...Start Pushbutton and Ign Sw are separate switches! Starting procedure is to place Ign Sw in Pos 3, then push start button until engine fires.

"a bit of force is needed to get it back to the other three positions. You can hear a definite "click" when you turn it to the start position." Pos 1-3 should be detented and you should feel this, but Pos 4 should not, as Gorilla Spring is supposed to return it to Pos 3, rotating part should never remain there...this would keep Starter engaged, which would be a pretty big problem!

I would say Ign Sw has a mechanical issue and needs to be replaced. Whether you do this as a part of the Ign Coil/Armored cable/ Ign Sw, is obviously up to you. This is not a common failure mode...actually, first time I've heard of it...

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 19:12   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

It's very likely that you can use an MGB Ignition switch if you are certain that yours is useless. The are not expensive. You would need to make a small backing plate for a little extra support if you are using the same hole. There is only one wire in the armoured cable so if you cut the cable from the switch body you can still use this as your live lead to the coil. You may need to extend it a few inches. Doing that means that everything visible under the hood looks normal. You can still wire in a push button for starting.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 22:41   #6
DaWhole9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
It's very likely that you can use an MGB Ignition switch if you are certain that yours is useless. The are not expensive. You would need to make a small backing plate for a little extra support if you are using the same hole. There is only one wire in the armoured cable so if you cut the cable from the switch body you can still use this as your live lead to the coil. You may need to extend it a few inches. Doing that means that everything visible under the hood looks normal. You can still wire in a push button for starting.
Ok...so if I don’t care about having a Volvo key, an MGB ignition (Lucas) from the 60s that’s a 4 position switch, right? Or basically any 4 position 12v automotive ignition switch that will fit should work, right? So the armored cable once cut just has a standard copper cable in it? I can solder on a spade connector and connect it to the switch as well as the other wires from the old switch and it’s done right? Seems too easy lol. Anything special to look out for?
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 22:58   #7
DaWhole9

Ok. Here is a MGB switch...look like it will work?

88ACC721-1A99-44BE-AE70-12140E504244.jpg

Here is the diagram...so post 3 is where I attach the wire from the armored cable?

E4D94185-CC72-4E73-BA3C-30169B1BF953.jpg