Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

12v regulator

Views : 679

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 09:45   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default 12v regulator

As part of my preparations to convert the PV to 12v I have been given this regulator. Possibly from an Amazon or late PV? Any body recognize it.There seems to be a ground wire coming off the fixing plate. To battery? Also converting light bulbs. ie Instrument lights 2 watt. Same wattage?
Still waiting for carb' parts so I can on with PV.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200129_01.jpg (157.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20200129_02.jpg (180.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Jan 29th, 2020 at 10:16.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 15:36   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

V Reg does look like the typical 12V Bosch (relay) type used in Amazons (or 544), however...I recommend against using it without verifying PN which I expect/hope can be found either on assembly or that yellow tag.

"...ground wire coming off the fixing plate. To battery?" ...negative return, yes to Battery (is quite important for V and I sensing) and is made through chassis mount in 122 installation (I would expect the same in 544, but don't know this for certain)...so this VReg may have come from another donor vehicle where a wire was used in factory installation, OR wire was added by a PO (paralleling up Bat negative connection can never hurt, but it is really NOT necessary and often a workaround for poor stock connections elsewhere...it's absolutely better and recommended to have clean and tight stock connections everywhere!!).

When changing V of system from 6V to 12V, general rule is to install lamps intended for the 12V service and keep Wattages of lamps the same. See also: https://www.sw-em.com/Vintage_Volvo_...conversion.htm

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 16:36   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks Ron. As soon as I get the PV up and running I intend to carry out the conversion. Didn't want to do it at this time in case I had issues with rebuild and didn't want to confuse the issue as to whether re build or re wire. Any way How would you say was the best way to connect up the DR's. I know that it should be in series to the wipers but that the two DRs used should be connected together in parallel. It's the physical connection of the two I'm interested in (connections will be soldered) between switch and wiper. Should they be wired that way after the switch or before it? I will be using two also for the blower motor.I purchased six. Are they to strong for the fuel gauge? Save me hunting for single 80ohm resistor.Don't really want to spend a day and drive 100k each way to look for a ten cent resistor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200129_01_01.JPG (110.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200129_01_02.JPG (175.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Jan 29th, 2020 at 18:10.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 18:28   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

That certainly (still) looks like a VReg for Bosch Generator equipped Chg Sys, but others might verify that PN (or verify it in a parts or replacement parts list).

DRs can be wired anywhere in the current path to decrease Voltage on Load, the longer item is powered, the longer they produce heat, the hotter they get...so observe temperature safety and mount to a surface which can dissipate heat which they will produce...

DRs are not necessary for fuel gauge...but an 80Ohm resistor will fit nicely and almost flat into a letter envelope...I suggest you have someone send you one with a Birthday card!

Cheers
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 18:53   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Could you please post a quick sketch of circuit from switch through two DRls in parallel. Don't want to screw up.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 19:00   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

https://www.sw-em.com/Vintage_Volvo_...ping_Resistors
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 20:19   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks I have this but nor sure of the best way to include the second DLR.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 20:47   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

A;

Resistors in Series > Resistance value is higher (values add, use this configuration if you need further decrease in motor speed/further voltage on load reduction).

R in Parallel > Resistance of two equal Rs in Par is half value of one. Use this if voltage drop with a single is too much (motor speed too low, etc)...three equal Rs in Par, one third...if R values are mixed Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc.

Cheers
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 19:46   #9
arcturus
arcturus

Re fuel gauge i have the offer of a 100 ohm resister from a local friend. Do you think that it will be OK?
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 20:08   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

a;

Sure...it's OK to try that value...as my tests found, the gauges are very tolerant of supply voltage variation, so I function will be fine...worst case, calibration might be off a bit, but nothing one wouldn't get used to, as you keep you eyes open for an 80 Ohm R...

Correction: Please note in my last posting, term on left side of equals sign must be 1/Rtot!

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: