Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 2004 stalling problems

Views : 631

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:30   #1
martindmsmith

Default V70 T5 2004 stalling problems

Hello, first time poster and apologies if this re-hashes old ground.

My car is a 2004 V70 T5 Auto, with 193K miles. It has recently started stalling when under low revs (reversing, coming to a junction, standing still etc).

I have had replaced the MAF, the Lambda, the garage have checked the plugs, fuel injection, vacuum pipes. A turbo valve was replaced recently.

The fault code is Long Term Fuel Trim code 2624.

It manifests as the car idling generally slightly too low, and then occasionally stuttering, as if it were stalling, and then actually stalling. Happens pretty much on every occasion i go out in it. Car always restarts immediately. The revs will hold at 2,000 or so, and drop neatly back to the idle (tho as above I think it is slightly too low)

I think (think...) that the car generally feels just slightly down on power on the open road, but hard to put my finger on it.

The gearbox is becoming jerky, especially between 1st and 2nd, and is generally a little slow to kick down etc.

Given the age and mileage I can't afford to keep pouring money into trying to solve this. Does anyone have any experience of this sort of issue and know what else I might look at? Is it the dreaded ETM perhaps ? That has not, as far as I know been replaced ever in the car's life.

Thank you in anticipation - would love to keep the old girl running if I can but this is now rendering her undriveable.
martindmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:57   #2
davebb
Premier Member

Hi I would look for any vac/boost pipe leaks, also look at the intercooler, as these don't last, remove the plastic under cover ,that covers the rad, aircon, intercooler, if there is any oil there ,you will have a bad intercooler,
do a leak/smoke test,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davebb For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 11:01   #3
stellamon

I had a 2004 V70 T5 auto that was stalling on me and it turned out to be the fuel pump electronic control module or PEM.
Could be other fuel related issues though like the pump itself.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 11:40   #4
BarryCambs

I had this on mine and it was the etm. I managed to find one someone had bought and not fitted cheap. I was surprised when I took the old one off that it was really nice and clean, but taking the cover off, it was clear that after best part of 200k, the tracks and brushes were pretty worn.

As you say, if the gearbox is getting tired as well, it might not be worth spending time and money on it anyway.
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryCambs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:45   #5
martindmsmith

Thank you for this, that's really helpful. I am costing the ETM work at the moment but as you rightly say, the failing gearbox may sway the decision in any event.

Thanks again for asking the time to respond
martindmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 01:12   #6
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

have you used up the tank of fuel yet or is it the same batch - could be poor quality fuel.

I have had this before on various cars
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2019, 15:13   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Do you mean, after it stalled, the engine will rev to 2000rpm once restarted? For how long ? Was it fully warmed up when it did this?

On a turbo it's more difficult, but this is what I did on my non turbo to clean the throttle body https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGxVoGbDK1I

As mentioned above, may as well look into the FPS if there is one on the fuel rail, and then look at the PEM for any corrosion on the module. Maybe look for vacuum leaks. May do a PCV test as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK8kUQxhT_8

Tags
etm fault, stalling, v70 t5