Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HOW T0 - Install VIDA on VM using VIRTUAL BOX

Views : 14318

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 26th, 2020, 08:02   #11
JeffersS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
Scroll up and read the first post here. Click on the YouTube Link in that post ; this is the walkthrough you need to follow to install the vm, not some disk that came with the unit. I don't know what you have done but it sounds like you need to start over. There is no patch required for the vm installation.
Thankyou! I finally understood what you were saying! Despite being almost there with the CD files that came with the disc (I think) I simply installed the image you give link to above late last night on my Oracle VM software and it worked! Sorry for being a bit slow, all the computery terms are a bit lost on me, I didn't understand what 'image' meant in this context, now I do.

Got it plugged in to my car and working, making my windows go up and down with a click on my laptop Now to fix the issues...
JeffersS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 22:40   #12
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersS13 View Post
Thankyou! I finally understood what you were saying! Despite being almost there with the CD files that came with the disc (I think) I simply installed the image you give link to above late last night on my Oracle VM software and it worked! Sorry for being a bit slow, all the computery terms are a bit lost on me, I didn't understand what 'image' meant in this context, now I do.

Got it plugged in to my car and working, making my windows go up and down with a click on my laptop Now to fix the issues...

Good to read that you got there in the end

For anyone else about to do this, best place for those disks that come with the Dice unit is in the bin.

Also be good if a few people familiar with the various ways of installing this software were to step up and help others struggling to download this useful bit of kit. That's a large part of what these forums are about I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2021, 15:51   #13
MGSheff

Roxana at volvodiag.com now has a $5.30 charge to upgrade your membership to enable you to download.
I was very wary about paying this fee but as others have vouched for it's authenticity on this forum and also on Swedespeed and I felt like I had no other option I have gone ahead and done it.

Simple instructions easy to follow. You must have admin rights on the PC when it comes to installing. Software loads up OK. Virtual machine works OK on a Win10 PC.
I will try connecting it to the car when I get home tonight.
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 11:22   #14
MGSheff

Bad news and good news.
In mid January I bought the VXdiag Nano from Amazon for £70 (express delivery), it's a Chinese Dice clone / replacement.
The software disk included with it was a waste of time. It included several versions of VIDA that either wouldn't install or weren't licensed versions. The forum suggests that getting a home licence is either impossible or might cost thousands.
I tried a couple of download versions and was faced with the same predicament.
That's when I found posts about Roxana and Volvodiag.
Roxana has a $5.30 subscription fee and I was very wary about using my card over the net for something like this. Eventually due to the weight of evidence on the forums I decided to go ahead, subscribed and downloaded the VMware solution. Instructions were simple to follow and I got a working version of VIDA on a win10 laptop and also on a Win7 laptop. Unfortunately the driver for the VXdiag Nano isn't installed on the virtual machine and I couldn't get it to install. The USB VXdiag Nano was being passed through to the VM but without the driver it wasn't working and there was no way I could get the driver installed so it was impossible for VIDA to communicate with the car.
Good news.
Also installed in the VM was VDASH2. I'd not heard of this but decided to look into it.
It's free for home use (hurrah) and with the Nano it works on the Win7 laptop but it doesn't work on my instance of the Win10 laptop.
It is reduced function compared to VIDA but I have managed to get the fault codes so at least I now have a good idea of what the problem is.

Kind regards Mark
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 12:17   #15
M4ss4

Hi Mark, I did drop you a PM, not sure you could reply but I have found your post above. It looks like you have resolved it in the short term despite the reduced functionality.

Hopefully this will get you back on the right track 👍
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M4ss4 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 13:17   #16
Quarryscapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSheff View Post
Bad news and good news.
In mid January I bought the VXdiag Nano from Amazon for £70 (express delivery), it's a Chinese Dice clone / replacement.
The software disk included with it was a waste of time. It included several versions of VIDA that either wouldn't install or weren't licensed versions. The forum suggests that getting a home licence is either impossible or might cost thousands.
I tried a couple of download versions and was faced with the same predicament.
That's when I found posts about Roxana and Volvodiag.
Roxana has a $5.30 subscription fee and I was very wary about using my card over the net for something like this. Eventually due to the weight of evidence on the forums I decided to go ahead, subscribed and downloaded the VMware solution. Instructions were simple to follow and I got a working version of VIDA on a win10 laptop and also on a Win7 laptop. Unfortunately the driver for the VXdiag Nano isn't installed on the virtual machine and I couldn't get it to install. The USB VXdiag Nano was being passed through to the VM but without the driver it wasn't working and there was no way I could get the driver installed so it was impossible for VIDA to communicate with the car.
Good news.
Also installed in the VM was VDASH2. I'd not heard of this but decided to look into it.
It's free for home use (hurrah) and with the Nano it works on the Win7 laptop but it doesn't work on my instance of the Win10 laptop.
It is reduced function compared to VIDA but I have managed to get the fault codes so at least I now have a good idea of what the problem is.

Kind regards Mark
I'm using Virtual Box VM setup with VXDIag and it works OK, the VXM has to be plugged in to the host before setting the USB settings up in VirtualBox to tell the VM that it can use the Nano. It's all a huge faff, but as every direct install I've ever tried fails completely, it's currently the only way I can run VIDA. Trying to use a 17" laptop on mains extension in the car is not exactly fun though!
Quarryscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quarryscapes For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 15:22   #17
MGSheff

@M4ss4 yes, I got your message (cheers) but still couldn't reply to it. I sent a reply to the administrators and asked them to forward it on to you.

@quarryscapes I connected the VXDiag Nano before loading up VMware and virtual machine and passing it through. The virtual machine sees the device in Computer management but it doesn't have the driver.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 17:11   #18
M4ss4

Quote:
@M4ss4 yes, I got your message (cheers) but still couldn't reply to it. I sent a reply to the administrators and asked them to forward it on to you.

@quarryscapes I connected the VXDiag Nano before loading up VMware and virtual machine and passing it through. The virtual machine sees the device in Computer management but it doesn't have the driver.
Hearing the issue, have you installed the usb 2.0 patch for VM Ware? I remember that being part of the setup from the instructions Cheshired5. Might be worth installing that patch and seeing if you get a different result
M4ss4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M4ss4 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 19:11   #19
Quarryscapes

Quote:

Then you need to run the VX Manager installer in the VM environment to install it. Make sure to unplug it from USB after starting VM but before installing VX Manager
Quarryscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quarryscapes For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 17:48   #20
MGSheff

Now I have the error codes there isn't so much of a rush. I waited until I had a bit more time to play around at the weekend.

@quarryscapes - spot on. I installed the VX Manager into the virtual machine. Connected the VCXDiag Nano and confirmed the USB pass through to the vurtual machine. I checked the Device manager in Computer management and it was OK. I ran Vdash2, it connected to the car, read the codes and all other details as it should. So the VCXdiag Nano works with Vdash2 directly on the Win7 laptop and on the Win7 virtual machine. I then loaded VIDA on the virtual machine, logged in using the admin password, unfortunately the VIDA software does not see the car, it does see the VXdiag but not the car.

I now have to decide whether it is worth keeping the VCXdiag Nano and a laptop configured with Win7 to use the free version of Vdash2 or do I send it back and buy something like an Autel code reader that is more compact and self-contained. The more complicated setup but without the added functionality of VIDA is not that appealing.