Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has anyone tried Vida2go

Views : 3070

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 10:45   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default Has anyone tried Vida2go

As the title says, as anyone tried this version, its basically a boot able USB drive but faster then ya normal but not quite as quick as an SSD as far as I can gather, basically, with the laptop or PC turn off, ya insert the USB then power on and enter the boot up menu, choose the USB drive and it boots a separate version of windows with Vida on it and other stuff. So you can keep ya PC/Lappy clean and boot a fresh Vida, anyone tried it? I'm thinking about it as I have issues with my 2 versions, namley SQL regarding the parts database :/
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 12:55   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

If your CPU supports Virtualization, why not just use a VM?
Totally separate from the main system and no regular use of a USB stick required.
The one I provide is free to my Dice/VCX buyers, £30 to everyone else but that includes support to get it running smoothly and reliably.
Free VMs are out there and of course making your own is free too.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 13:08   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

I do have 2011 and 2014 running in VM but searching can be darn slow, even though I have set the memory (about 11gb) and CPU's to max (4) it can still take maybe upwards of 30 seconds to open sommat or searching and not to mention the SQL errors in 2014 and sometimes in 2011, actually, 2011 wont open now since win 10 updated, 2014 is ok still but again, SQL errors in the parts section, so I just thought this visa2go looks like a solid idea and wondered if anyone else has tried it?
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 13:31   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
I do have 2011 and 2014 running in VM but searching can be darn slow, even though I have set the memory (about 11gb) and CPU's to max (4)
Change your VM settings.
My laptop which is only dual core and 8GB RAM runs a virtualbox VM fine using 1 core and 4GB RAM.
Even with my desktop with 12 cores and 16GB RAM, I only allocate 2 cores and 4GB RAM to the VM and it is extremely quick.

VMs don't require huge resources so if you over allocate, you bog down the host and neither will work well.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 16:38   #5
Stu B
Master Member

Never tried Vida2go, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Change your VM settings...

... VMs don't require huge resources so if you over allocate, you bog down the host and neither will work well.
I agree with that, sounds like you're crippling the host (physical) machine by letting the guest (virtual) machine consume all it's resources. Try the VM with 4GB RAM and 1 CPU and you'll find it will actually work much more efficiently.

Last edited by Stu B; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 16:41.
Stu B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stu B For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 03:30   #6
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks, i will try this but, its far from all the resources as its a 16gb with 8 logical processors, I will try the bare minimum of 1gb and 1 cpu I'm not overly confident this will help with the major issue of the databases having SQL issues though...

mmm, just tried this with 2011 and its much slower opening the "service kit brake front wheel" information, took at least a minute to opening the parts... however, as you may have noticed, 2011 is working again since lowering the specs

Having just tried the same settings with v2014, much, much faster and no DB errors so far, tried searching parts and going through the parts list, so that's very going through the parts list, so far so good, thanks guys

As a side note, I do have the VM installed on C but I am sure I had to install the image on D due to my SSD (c) not having the room....

Last edited by Bashy; Jul 23rd, 2020 at 04:07.
Bashy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 18:15   #7
Skottan

Default Vida2go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
As the title says, as anyone tried this version, its basically a boot able USB drive but faster then ya normal but not quite as quick as an SSD as far as I can gather, basically, with the laptop or PC turn off, ya insert the USB then power on and enter the boot up menu, choose the USB drive and it boots a separate version of windows with Vida on it and other stuff. So you can keep ya PC/Lappy clean and boot a fresh Vida, anyone tried it? I'm thinking about it as I have issues with my 2 versions, namley SQL regarding the parts database :/
Have Vida2go working well alongside vxdiag - only problem I had was my pc with Uefi bios wouldn't work, so got Legacy usb drive, now all OK
Skottan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skottan For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2020, 18:37   #8
Max HEADVROOM

vida2go is brilliant.. saves all the messing about if your not computer savvy !
Max HEADVROOM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Max HEADVROOM For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2020, 01:58   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks guys
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 00:10   #10
Bashy
Aged Member

Dammit, the db errors are back when going through the parts catalogue. the only thing that's different is the latest build of Windows 10, i did have a GSOD for a while but that was due to a kernel issue in the insider build of win 10, the latest versions of Oracle VM resolved that.
Currently utilising only 1gb ram out of 16 and 1cpu out of 8.

Strange thing is, it only appears to be the if I try to access the engine menu of the parts cat', I have tried a few others, brakes, electrical, transmission and I can access those ok, but as soon as I try the engine, I get the below error
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201021_235342_compress95.jpg (206.2 KB, 26 views)