Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HOW T0 - Install VIDA on VM using VIRTUAL BOX

Views : 14308

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2020, 05:44   #1
Agro

Smile HOW T0 - Install VIDA on VM using VIRTUAL BOX

I recently installed Vida on a Window PC. I installed it on a Virtual Machine using VIRTUAL BOX VM software and thought I would share it here.

I'm far from an experienced computer user and actually found it to be quite easy and straightforward following a walk-through youtube link which was uploaded by the person who created it.

I watched the youtube clip all the way through, then got everything ready to go for the job by downloading 7zip, Virtual Box, and the VIDA Virtual Box Image. Unpacked everything to a folder I called VolvoVida. Watched the walk-through again and followed it step by step, pausing and going back to double and triple check I was doing everything correctly.

1. Youtube link is here:
https://youtu.be/wn7kNLfYKKw - there is no sound, just follow the cursor.
It's a 14 minute clip that you can slow or speed up the playback speed through the youtube settings icon.
(Note some of the comments/instructions that briefly appear at the bottom of the screen)

2. Virtual Box can be downloaded here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

3. VIDA Virtual Box VM can be downloaded here:
https://volvodiag.com/virtualbox-image/
You'll need to sign up which is free.

4. You'll also need an unzip program. You can get 7zip free here:
https://www.7-zip.org/

RECOMMENDED to disable your internet security to ensure it doesn't interfere with the download.

My machine is an old Dell Optiplex with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD running Win7 PRO with standard USB2 ports. I assigned 2GB RAM to the VM. It runs just fine, although the more resources your machine has the faster it will load.

As a bonus I was surprised to find Vdash already pre-installed.

Now if you find this useful then please show your appreciation by donating a small amount towards the person who developed this for free for the Volvo Community here - https://volvodiag.com/donate/

Last edited by Agro; Sep 8th, 2020 at 05:59.
Agro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 07:56   #2
Agro

Just to confirm the software installation works with a Dice unit. Received my Dice unit yesterday, hooked it up; all working.

Ordered this one from Aliexpress - vendor called obd2home.

Now to learn how to use it properly.
Old Oct 14th, 2020, 23:35   #3
JeffersS13

Spent my whole evening installing VIDA.

I have got all the way to the end watching the TVS video that came with the unit on the CD with all the files. However the video shows the guy failing to install the patch after several attempts and me copying him click for click !

In the end he seems to give up, so I did as I am in no way computer savvy.

So I rebooted and pressed the Vida All in One icon, I got to the login page but I can't login ! at first I couldn't even type in the username box. Then I pressed the registration box, typed in my username 'admin' and in blind hope ignored the password and tried to login, no luck! that seemed to fail and took me back to the login screen and now admin was in the box! it then seemed to do something but failed

Any pointers?
JeffersS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 00:55   #4
JRL
Master Member

[QUOTE=JeffersS13;2673227]Spent my whole evening installing VIDA.

I have got all the way to the end watching the TVS video that came with the unit on the CD with all the files. However the video shows the guy failing to install the patch after several attempts and me copying him click for click !

So I rebooted and pressed the Vida All in One icon, I got to the login page but I can't login ! at first I couldn't even type in the username box. Then I pressed the registration box, typed in my username 'admin' and in blind hope ignored the password and tried to login, no luck! that seemed to fail and took me back to the login screen and now admin was in the box! it then seemed to do something but failed

Any pointers?[/QUOTE

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...install-issues
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 01:05   #5
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
Just to confirm the software installation works with a Dice unit. Received my Dice unit yesterday, hooked it up; all working.
Yep, I found using Roxana's Virtualbox image from https://volvodiag.com/ a hell of a lot easier than trying to set up VIDA manually. Always had problems with not the correct IE or .NET or updates. I have it running now on a Linux Mint install and it works fine. For anyone wanting to do the same on an Ubuntu based machine you have to add yourself to the vboxusers group before you are able to select the DICE unit in the USB settings in Virtualbox. Well worth a donation in my opinion.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3172...x-with-ubuntu/

Last edited by JRL; Oct 15th, 2020 at 01:45.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 02:58   #6
Agro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersS13 View Post
Spent my whole evening installing VIDA.

Any pointers?
This thread is for a Virtual Machine install. I'm assuming that you have attempted a direct install using the disk that comes with Dice units.

To prevent confusion perhaps start a new thread and include information about your PC, OS, and exactly what you did.

Assuming again - if you managed to install the software onto a WIN7 Pro 64bit machine but cannot type anything into the login field then go hear https://volvodiag.com/patches/ and install the patch "VIDA Patch Windows 7 (x64)"
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 07:53   #7
JeffersS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
This thread is for a Virtual Machine install. I'm assuming that you have attempted a direct install using the disk that comes with Dice units.

To prevent confusion perhaps start a new thread and include information about your PC, OS, and exactly what you did.

Assuming again - if you managed to install the software onto a WIN7 Pro 64bit machine but cannot type anything into the login field then go hear https://volvodiag.com/patches/ and install the patch "VIDA Patch Windows 7 (x64)"
It's a virtual machine install into a 64bit Windows 7 VM. The patch is the bit that won't work. It took ages to find an IE9 that would install into the VM as most got rejected by it. The CD that came with the kit has a video on it that guides you through the installation of the VIDA software but even the guy demonstrating seems to fail to install the patch at the end.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 07:59   #8
JeffersS13

This explains my exact problems, will give this a go tonight and report back, thankyou.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 10:19   #9
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersS13 View Post
This explains my exact problems, will give this a go tonight and report back, thankyou.
Why don't you download the VM from https://volvodiag.com/ and try that instead.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 13:03   #10
Agro

Scroll up and read the first post here. Click on the YouTube Link in that post ; this is the walkthrough you need to follow to install the vm, not some disk that came with the unit. I don't know what you have done but it sounds like you need to start over. There is no patch required for the vm installation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Agro For This Useful Post: