Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Has online car sales killed haggling ?

Views : 2624

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2020, 09:49   #31
Welton
Premier Member

Sorry to hear of your medical woes palwing, sounds awful for you and your family I can only offer best wishes going forward.

I think what I meant about the UK was the work/life balance is way off where it should be, for me anyway work demands a lot of my time and often stops me having time off - in this respect I turn my frustration to everything I hate about the UK. I know in other countries like New Zealand and Australia their Leisure Time is a very important part of daily/weekly life and work is secondary - it's not like that here and all the worse for it.

I'm not unhappy here by any means, in fact I'm quite happy to sit back and watch the madness, and if I can find a nice spot in the sun and sip nice coffee watching the world go by I'm in my element and will have a content smile on my face.

I like my home and garden and will potter around for hours on weekends in my own little world, again more than happy and I don't want for much.

What I don't like though is greed - this is something which has grown in the last 20 to 30 years in the UK and it's everywhere.

Ask yourself this question: when you see these poor countries and you see kids playing in the street in bare feet; they have absolutely nothing but are happy. In the UK if you can manage to get a child away from their internet for 5 minutes you'll likely find a depressed and confused soul - so sad and this is one of the things I dislike about how the UK has 'progressed' - the internet skewing kids visions of reality and computer games drawing them in to addictive traits. This won't be fixed but in a simple form this comparison I've made holds a lot of truth IMO.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Welton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 11:20   #32
palwing

Thanks Welton.

Unfortunately, due to a surgeon inexplicably removing major parts of my insides required for life, I am where I am with regards to my health. My future is now in the hands of others, including the big man upstairs. To say I have a tough few months ahead of me is an understatement. However, on the plus side, the Volvo forums will be a lot quieter for a while, if not longer. Being housebound and stuck under a blanket in a chair for 8 months now, I seem to spend far too much time here. lol As mentioned, watch out for my story in the Press one day. There will also undoubtedly be a few medical papers written about me too, so my 15 minutes of fame may last a bit longer than most. I must add, that I am so glad that I have travelled and done as much as I have in my life as I would be even MORE cheesed off if I had not and then realised it was too late to start.

I know exactly where you are coming from and you are quite right about the life work balance. Some live to work, others work to live. Finding a good compromise somewhere in between is a possible solution. Although I prefer not working (when healthy) and just enjoying life to be the most enjoyable way. I have met quite a few people who have said they would not retire early as “What would I do? It must be boring.” That told me a lot about their lack of imagination and sense of adventure. But there you go, it’s their life.

You mention Australia and we have spent a lot of time there too. We have 5 grandchildren, 2 of which live in WA and 3 in the UK. The life style differences between our UK and Ozzy grandkids is stark. Your Internet comparison couldn’t be more apt.

The Ozzy kids live an extremely active life, beach, swimming (50 metre pools) surfing, gymnastics, football, running, cycling, great climate and social lives. It is generally a higher standard of living in every sense, including diet. Even the schools are so much more patriotic, forward thinking and encouraging of an active, healthy lifestyle. It’s normal for them from a very early age. You can see why many Australians are so confident. But as mentioned before, there are still areas of concern in certain parts of WA as in all parts of the real world. Just less concentrated perhaps?

Whilst my UK grandchildren are in what many would consider a good standard of living, their lives revolve around occasional sporting events, family cycle rides and the Internet. Saying that, I think the climate here has a big influence on being active in the UK, especially in the winter. Unfortunately we can do nothing about that. I have included some photos of my Ozzy grandchildren (10 and 6) during their WINTER. The beach is just across the road from where they live and it’s spring now. Gorgeous. I will add it gets blooming hot in the summer months and there is a fly season around October/November which drives me nuts. Hence the Ozzy wave. I stay indoors during that time or wear a net. Strangely the Ozzies seem to tolerate it. lol I will add, it’s not cheap living in Oz, but there are plenty of opportunities to earn good money to have a very decent lifestyle with a fantastic life/work balance. They take “laid back” to whole different level.

Apologies for going WAY off topic. But it keeps me occupied between my trips to the loo, bed and my chair whilst longingly looking out my window with my memories.

Last edited by palwing; Sep 17th, 2020 at 11:39.
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 11:47   #33
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Hmm, having lived in NZ for several years, I can honestly say that I much prefer the UK; no offence to the lovely Kiwis and their wonderful country, but I generally find life more interesting here. And - having made several extended work trips to Australia - I found it to be an unbearably hot and dull place... it's true when people joke that there's more culture in an empty yoghurt pot!

I love the UK and wouldn't want to live in any other country.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 11:59   #34
palwing

Unfortunately never managed to get to NZ, although a few of my Victorian ancestors did. Funny how people from abroad want to come to the UK whilst a lot from the U.K. want to move abroad. Must be some sort of psychology there yet to be discovered. lol.

At least you tried Zebster and found it not to your liking, so came back. I have always told my kids, NEVER be too proud to change your mind.

It reminds me of when I used to tour on a Goldwing motorcycle. Many other bikers used to say they were rubbish and I might as well have a car. My usual reply was, “which Goldwing had they driven that they didn’t like?”. That usually finished the conversation as I never had anyone admit they had ridden one to justify their claim. I find that is often the case when people say they don’t want to live abroad.

I once had an elderly local person justify why she had never been abroad was because all of her friends had tried it, “but they all came back”. Sort of missed the point somewhere?
The Following User Says Thank You to palwing For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 12:21   #35
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
Unfortunately never managed to get to NZ, although a few of my Victorian ancestors did. Funny how people from abroad want to come to the UK whilst a lot from the U.K. want to move abroad. Must be some sort of psychology there yet to be discovered. lol.

At least you tried Zebster and found it not to your liking, so came back. I have always told my kids, NEVER be too proud to change your mind.

It reminds me of when I used to tour on a Goldwing motorcycle. Many other bikers used to say they were rubbish and I might as well have a car. My usual reply was, “which Goldwing had they driven that they didn’t like?”. That usually finished the conversation as I never had anyone admit they had ridden one to justify their claim. I find that is often the case when people say they don’t want to live abroad.

I once had an elderly local person justify why she had never been abroad was because all of her friends had tried it, “but they all came back”. Sort of missed the point somewhere?
I didn't emigrate, it was a long-term work secondment! However my wife and I went there having decided that if we liked it and I was offered a permanent position then we'd probably remain there... we actually sold our UK house before going.

There is a definite element of 'the grass is always greener..." amongst those who emigrate between Australasia and the UK and it's definitely a two-way thing.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 12:32   #36
palwing

All credit to you for having the balls to take the secondment. Many would have bottled it. Better to try and fail than not try at all. You learn something new from every experience. So in that respect, perceived failure is actually a success.

An old Chinese proverb says something like, “If you stay on the same path of life, you will end up where you are headed.” I liked the uncertainty of going “off piste” occasionally. Far more interesting.

Edit:One draw back of being in Australia is that you get on a plane in Sydney, fly six hours and.....you are STILL in Australia. Bali is not so far though, so not too bad. Europe on the other hand does offer a lot of different geography, languages, etc. all within a stones throw of each other and is a definite plus point. I love Switzerland, especially the alpine areas, where as my wife loves Austria. I reckon the Sound of Music has a lot to answer for! lol

Last edited by palwing; Sep 17th, 2020 at 14:17.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 15:54   #37
S60RDesign

You can still haggle but they might not reduce the price unless you take their finance etc...otherwise you can still ask for a full tank of fuel and mats or other things like cosmetic fixes which are quite likely to be accepted.

The market is odd at the minute as there isn't the used stock. Could be worth waiting for a few months, unless we end up in lockdown again
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60RDesign For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 17:18   #38
green van man
Premier Member

Well palwing, I'm one of the not retired. I could of 2 years ago but chose not to.

With 44 days holiday and living in a lovely area my take was if I continue working I can afford my expencive hobbies, go on holiday and not worry unduly about the costs , run 2 cars, one a hobby vehicle. Maintain the darkroom, keeping plenty of paper and chemicals to hand, and keep my anolouge cameras supplied with film. These days I rarely buy new camera kit but there are always temptations in the Ham radio world I am prone to give into. Expencive hobbies I could not maintain on pension, and I enjoy my work, so why not carry on.

With 7 grandkids spread far and wide it's a treck to visit them, 3 in Cardiff 112 miles away, one in Manchester 200 miles away and 2 in Scotland 450 miles away, while the 7th is currently living in China.
I recon a trip to visit the Scottish branch of the family will set me back £1000 by the time I get back home, fuel, caravan pitches, meals out and treats, and we try to get up to see them twice a year in normal years, Cardiff is a day trip and is often spontaneous, might not see them for a couple of months then 3 times in a month.
This requires more disposable income than my pensions can afford.
That said I am very much a work to live man, but do belive in a fair days work for a fair days pay.

I live in an area that many people move into to retire, locals recon that if an incomer stays more than 4 years they will probably stay for life. Surprising the number of houses you see come back on the market in 4 year cycles.
I moved in18 years ago, it will be box time before I move out..
It is a differing way of life to my previous more relaxed, and I enjoy it fully, it suits me down to the ground and my holidays afford me the variety I need to continue to appreciate it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 18:00   #39
palwing

Hi green van man. I am guessing you live on the west side of South Wales? Might be wrong though, so please don’t feel obliged to reply to that.

Whatever, we know south west Wales quite well as the in-laws retired to live near Carmarthen at Llanllawddog and then Llanddarog. Beautiful part of the world. After about 10 years there, they eventually moved to an island in the Mediterranean. We particularly liked Manorbier, Saundersfoot and of course Tenby. Not so keen on Swansea though. An ex colleague of mine (older than me) has just moved from Llanarth to just over the border in England to be nearer to support services for him and his wife in old age. He has lived in Llanarth for as long as I can remember.

I can certainly see the attraction of the area and we even considered buying a place there ourselves at one time. You certainly get a lot of property for your money in some very picturesque areas. The weather can be a nightmare though. Rain, low cloud and a bit windy at times. Even the sheep are constantly leaning over and look through squinty eyes. Mind you, having lived in north Wales they are more normal down south.

As for working into retirement, it’s a purely a personal choice. One that I chose to take (retirement that is) a long time ago and due to my circumstances now, I am so glad I did. There is no way I can ever experience even a small percentage the things I have done or seen in the past 15 years now. Memories are all I have left. Although my circumstances are unique, serious ill health can strike at anytime to anyone destroying even the best laid plans in an instant.

I hope you continue to enjoy your life style and good health for many years to come.

By the way, Scotland is also a lovely place, but the weather is still a problem.

Last edited by palwing; Sep 17th, 2020 at 18:32.
Old Sep 17th, 2020, 18:52   #40
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
You are correct Harvey 1512, nirvana does not exist anywhere in the world today. Unless you are Richard Branson and own a private island somewhere perhaps. Even he must be struggling to find a place nowadays. It is getting harder all the time to escape the rat race as such. Almost everywhere is being sucked into the malaise of modern society today.

I don’t tell my kids where to move to, as it is their choice and their lives. What I do say it that during my life time, I have witnessed a slow decline in the moral fibre of life in the U.K. My advice to them is to spread their wings and explore further afield. Have a look and seek a better quality of life than I believe this country will offer them (and their kids) during their life time. I hope they find it and above all, wish them good health and happiness what ever they decide. At the end of the day, we all have our own path in life to follow.

If you are happy with the way things are here, then stay and enjoy. I just know I have experienced better elsewhere and feel in a reasonable position to knowledgeably make a comparison. Unfortunately, recent unforeseen circumstances mean I am now stuck here for the rest of my life, never to travel again. It appears, this is not likely to be much longer in the big scheme of things, else I would also seek my “nirvana”, which is not where I am today. Good luck (and good health) for your future.

Edit: we should start a “meaning of life thread”
Whereas I have great faith in the youth of today and feel it is their elders who are letting them down. Look at the houses of Parliament, their elders and betters squabbling like schoolchildren. If there is an erosion of public morals where are the young learning it? Look no further than their generally morally frivolous elders. I have faith in people. I love the diversity of views, cultures, religions living side by side and sharing each others cultures, regardless what the media would have you believe. I leave my house, walk five minutes and am in beautiful untouched forest. I want to promote optimism, not negativity, particularly to the younger generations. So many older people are doom mongers and faithless curmudgeons
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote