Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Running a 1990's V70 in 2023

Views : 3485

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2023, 19:34   #21
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo3000 View Post
Thanks. Just been researching the OBD issue and it's concerning me now that maybe I shouldn't be buying an earlier V70 with the problems of resetting the warning lights on the dashboard. I'd appreciate any info on this.

Especially as we used to have a 96 SAAB 9000 turbo many years ago and tried numerous garages to solve the ABS warning light, they couldn't get into the diagnostics or fix the problem so the car was scrapped.
On cars of our age, I think a dash warning light is an MOT advisory, rather than a fail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpine For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 13:40   #22
El Padrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo3000 View Post
Thanks very much for all the advice. Also thanks Dave for the OBDII info, that's something maybe I should look out for. I found many on the internet having problems with warning lights on the dashboard that couldn't be accessed. I'd be interested to know more about this if anyone has some info.

I'm finding many 90's cars are over 200k, does everything start wearing out at around that mileage, or is maintenance more important? I know on our 940 lots started going wrong about 350k.
When I bought my V70R it didn't bother me she had done over 213K, as there was evidence of maintenance being done. These P80s were engineered to last. As long as there is evidence that the car your looking at has been looked after, you should be fine. I'm looking forward to mine reaching 250K, which will take a while as I'm not doing the horrendous mileage I used to. Then, I look forward to her seeing 500K.

Good luck with your search. Keep us updated.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 13:52   #23
El Padrino

Whilst reading the posts on this discussion, it's nice to hear the majority of everyone is using their 25+ year cars as their daily drivers. Mine is used for commutes to the office maybe once or twice a week, so I guess it keeps the mileage down. And I look forward to getting into the car each time. Other times I take her on nice B and A roads for a run to see family and friends. The V70 is just a nice car to drive. I like my V70R more than I did my previous W211 and w212 Mercs.

There is something about being in an old car surrounded by the modern/bland boxes everyone has. If I see an old car of any marque in good condition, I'll usually give that driver a thumbs up. I think it's also better for the environment to keep a perfectly old car running, rather than scrapping it and buy new, but that's another discussion .... LOL.
El Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Padrino For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 23:58   #24
Shinsplintz 101

I have run 850 T5s and Rs as my daily driver for over a decade now - average 20k p.a. - with a brief hiatus to a V70 P2 and an Audi A6 - both of which proved to be very capable cars but ultimately not as much fun to drive as the old flying bricks and so had to go. Currently have a modified 850 T5, which has 90s style and will easily show clean pair of heels to 95% of the modern dross, and I don't give two hoots about chucking the dogs in the back or doing a tip run. It still cleans up lovely.

Alongside ownership ive also.bought and restored dozens of other P80 cars as a hobby (debilitating curse) and found OEM parts availability to be generally very good (especially if your willing to do a bit of trawling through ebay/gumtree/Facebook marketplac etc...).with most key mechanical parts still available, although a couple of week wait may be require for main dealers to get the classic warehouse in Scandinavia to ship. And there is a strong aftermarket of pattern and recon parts that fill the gap when absolutely necessary.

Overall, I'd chose a well specced high mileage car with low number of previous owners and a solid service history over a low miler. These cars need to be driven,
and cars that have sat for a long time in storage etc... will need far more spending on them to get a decent standard of comfort and reliability than a car that has covered and average of 10k p.a. (remember thats 240k plus now) and been well maintained. Do your research and don't be put off by a bit of knocking from suspension/ smoke from exhaust etc....often it's a simple fix, just make sure you haggle for a couple quid off to cover additional work.

Like everything in life, buy the best one you can afford, ideally a private sale from an enthusiast. Poor examples of the marque are still sub £1k, with the best cars (read as rarest) at £10k plus..Budget £600 to a grand on top to deal with a stage 0 and any initial niggles. How much you spend after that is a personal decision, but always remember appreciating residual values are nice, but you should spend to enjoy, and not necessarily expect a financial return on your investment....that said, if you buy the right car and look after it you may get your money back out with a little left over for a pint or two and a fish supper. No promises.

Not to sway you in any way, but my personal preference would always be an 850 over an S/V/C70, as I think the latter cars have poorer quality interiors, irritating electrical gremlins and the softer exterior lines don't really float my boat. Mechanically they're all pretty much identical, and parts are interchangeable across the platforms.

Apologies for going on a bit....I'm a self confessed Volvo nut.....encouraging others to join the party makes me feel more normal 😅
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 20:29   #25
Dippydog
Premier Member

My V70 was registered Jan 2000[so built 1999]it's a 2.4 140 petrol with a 5 speed manual box and is now on about 153,000 miles.In the near 7yrs I've owned it I've put on it a pair of headlamps[second hand from a C70]got them cheap before they were actually needed,a radiator,thermostat,converted the throttle body using the sacer method,a front wheel bearing,a lower track control arm,all four brake calipers with new pads and handbrake shoes and four tyres.Of course there have been spark plugs,oil,filters etc but that's the same with any car.Given I paid £50 for the car with ten months M.o.T. on it I figure I'm quids in.Working it out apart from the cost of plugs/oil/filters it stands me a total of roughly £600 including purchase price.Only drawback I've found[and it's only a minor irritation]is the lousy turning circle compared to my rwd Omega.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2023, 22:13   #26
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Couldn't agree more, 'D.D.'. As we've noted before, our cars are of a similar age, mileage and specification; the only difference being that my car is an automatic. We've even owned our cars for a similar length of time. You are so right about the turning circle. Coming from a RWD 740, which had the turning radius of a London taxi, that was immediately and obviously apparent, but one quickly becomes used to it and make the necessary adjustments.

Long may we both continue to enjoy the benefits of our respective motorcars!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Mar 4th, 2023 at 23:12.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 09:26   #27
Dippydog
Premier Member

When I bought mine I wasn't looking to buy any car let alone a V70 but when I got the chance at £50[owner was getting severe grief from his missus about too many cars] I'd have been mad to pass up on it.The idea was to run it for a short while then either sell it on or break it for parts,but the old girl has grown on me and I've got a real soft spot for her.If/when she does go it'll be one of the few cars I've owned that I'll miss.
Ran my eldest brother about in it a couple of weeks ago,he's more used to BMW's,Mercedes etc and after a while he just said "It's smooth isn't it" which I regard as a compliment to the Volvo.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 20:22   #28
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
Apologies for going on a bit....I'm a self confessed Volvo nut.....encouraging others to join the party makes me feel more normal 😅
...and I thought we were the 'normal' one's with those folk who drive other marque's needing their heads checked?

The following is irrelevant to you chaps in the UK but I would still be using my P80's today if it wasn't for the extortionate and archaic road tax system we have in the Republic of Ireland. For example a V70 2.5TDI = 2461cc = €1080 per annum, €599 per half and €305 per quarter. So, in essence, my hand was forced to purchase the '15 reg V70 as it comes under the newer emissions based system at €270 per annum. Its a nice motor with lots of gadgets etc., but I really miss driving and the whole character of the P80.

And here's the kicker...as soon as my '96 850 turns 30 it automatically qualifies for vintage tax which = €56 per annum. As Tommy Cooper used to say... "Just like that!"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RoI motor tax rates.pdf (199.0 KB, 3 views)

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 07:28   #29
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
On cars of our age, I think a dash warning light is an MOT advisory, rather than a fail.
The ABS light is a fail on all cars! So is the brake warning light and air bag light unfortunately! I believe the engine warning light is only an advisory for these cars though!

Last edited by amazondean; Mar 6th, 2023 at 09:04.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 09:23   #30
amazondean
amazondean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post

Not to sway you in any way, but my personal preference would always be an 850 over an S/V/C70, as I think the latter cars have poorer quality interiors, irritating electrical gremlins and the softer exterior lines don't really float my boat. Mechanically they're all pretty much identical, and parts are interchangeable across the platforms.

I have to agree, I have three 850 diesel estates, one of which i have had as my daily driver for the last 14 years. I have been driving it steadily into the ground for several years now, as i have another waiting in the wings to replace it but it just keeps going.😉 The third one is my meeting and greeting people car that only comes out in the summer Months.

My wife has a 1998 V70 TDI. That one has almost been written off twice but managed to resurrect it both times. We also have a spare 1998 V70 TDI waiting and a V70xc awd just because it is a rare beast. We drive the diesel variant because we can get between 50 and 55mpg out of them when driven right. I have learned to do basic maintenance myself to keep them on the road cheaply and learnt how to repair and mend the odd problem like ABS units and suspension replacement parts. when it comes to the major stuff and electrical stuff it's out of my league but i have had little in the way of that kind of thing yet🤔

The 850's have the advantage of being able to unlock the boot and passenger door with a key if there is no remote and the interiors do fair better than the later V70, as the dash and window switches are made of a softer material in the V70. The manual opener for the fuel filler flap is also a pain on the V70. The 850 just looks that bit cooler in my opinion too.

Last edited by amazondean; Mar 6th, 2023 at 09:31.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post: