Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Year... New Problems. Speedo died!

Views : 1032

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:02   #11
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you can post a few pics of the circuit boards inside the speedo i'll see if there's anything that jumps out at me. However it sounds as if the speedo has died with what i'm beginning to call "1991 syndrome" as i know of 3 1991 speedos with this exact same fault now.

Just for fun, 1991 speedos are unique and need to be replaced with another 1991 speedo, no others will fit or connect. The clusters from alternative years won't fit or connect either - might physically go into the hole but the connectors won't fit and even if they did, wouldn't connect to the right connections.
Yeah, 1991 had many good things... but the clocks fitted to 940's weren't one of them.
I've come in from the rain and wind for the moment. I'll post some pictures of the chaos shortly.
StrongSpearWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrongSpearWorks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 13:09   #12
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Repair

There are specialized companies that repair Volvo speedo's, at least here on the continent. Just to get an idea, for a Yakazi speedo they charge around 125 Euro.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 14:23   #13
StrongSpearWorks

Hopefully... there should be some pictures attached.
I followed the guide to separate the clocks from the front but coudn't get it to separate, and not wanting to snap anything off decided to give everything a good squirt of contact cleaner.

Speedo seems to be working now - I'll leave it over night for a real test, but the tach still sits steady at 2700RPM, come what may.

I'm not adverse to sending it off to someone who knows what they're doing. I assume I'd have to block off the turbo vac line if I wanted to run without a cluser for a time... that's one big old vac leak otherwise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2166.jpeg (80.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2165.jpeg (92.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2164.jpeg (87.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2163.jpeg (81.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2161.jpeg (84.1 KB, 8 views)
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 14:30   #14
removaldaddy

Would not know where to start but great reading on how you dedicated volvo owners work things out and help each other. Oh i own MY18 Volvo XC60
removaldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to removaldaddy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 16:17   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You really need to remove the speedo from the cluster to see if there's any dry joints or similar on it but before you do that, i hadn't realised the tacho was playing up too.

Remove the kick panel trim by the throttle pedal and find the Multiple Earth point (MEP) behind it. Spray it with contact cleaner, remove each connector and if possible, gently squeeze with a pair of pliers to tighten the scroll on each side of the connector, spray the connector and refit. Repeat for all the connectors on the MEP and retry the instruments.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 17:27   #16
StrongSpearWorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You really need to remove the speedo from the cluster to see if there's any dry joints or similar on it but before you do that, i hadn't realised the tacho was playing up too.

Remove the kick panel trim by the throttle pedal and find the Multiple Earth point (MEP) behind it. Spray it with contact cleaner, remove each connector and if possible, gently squeeze with a pair of pliers to tighten the scroll on each side of the connector, spray the connector and refit. Repeat for all the connectors on the MEP and retry the instruments.
The tach hasn’t ever worked in the time I’ve had the car... but this speedo issue is all new. I’ll go and find this earthing point tomorrow in the daylight.
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 10:09   #17
StrongSpearWorks

Default To end this story.

I got the two halves apart and inspected the back of the speedo.
Doesn't look to me like the caps have leaked, but there was a fair amount of verdigris / corrosion on the arms of the microchip.

Plenty of swabbing with a cotton bud soaked in contact cleaner removed most of it, a small bit of 600 grit wet and dry held with tweesers between the arms got the rest.

Fingers crossed... just took it for a spin and it's working again!

Thanks to all how helped with this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2198.jpg (106.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2197.jpg (96.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by StrongSpearWorks; Feb 27th, 2021 at 10:15.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrongSpearWorks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 10:13   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That was a lucky find! Repeated squirts of contact cleaner would have done the same job as chasing it round with a cotton bud and saved you the faff - hopefully that's the problem solved anyway!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 10:56   #19
StrongSpearWorks

I’ve not put the surround back in as I want to change all the bulbs for LED at some point, and there’s still the issue of the non functional tach.
But at least I know how fast I’m going and it won’t fail the MOT next month because of this (potentially other points of failure, of course).
Old Feb 27th, 2021, 11:09   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-pcs-W5...t/293946264315

Give those a try, i've tried various different ones over the years and so far, they seem to be the best. However it's early days for using them for me, the last ones i had used a silicone bubble to disperse the light but it also shrank over time pulling the LEDs off the board inside.

These are mounted inside rigid acrylic resin which is much less likely to shrink so i'm hoping should be good for some considerable time.

That was taken just after 3pm on a sunny day but you can see they make a difference.