Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speedometer problems

Views : 662

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2021, 17:12   #1
Camillus

Default Speedometer problems

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who repairs the speedometers on Volvo 740s/ 940s
when the electronics go bad inside.

Cheers,

Tommy.
Camillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 18:49   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camillus View Post
Hi,

Is there anyone out there who repairs the speedometers on Volvo 740s/ 940s
when the electronics go bad inside.

Cheers,

Tommy.
What's the nature of the fault?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 19:25   #3
bob12
bob12

You have two different oem's for the 740/60 and 940 etc. VDO and Yazaki and each has different age problem/s assuming the speedo itself is duff..

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 19:53   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

Try Instrument Repair Service in Nottingham.

Tel 01159819988
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 20:01   #5
tonyldee

Default Speedometer problems

The Yazaki unit speedo fault is often the failure of capacitors. These can be replaced if you know how or can find a good auto electrician that can solder new ones in place. Had same problem on my last 960 but in the event the capacitor had leaked and corroded the contacts on the mother board. I eventually found a replacement head but in the interim I used a cheap "heads up"display unit to keep me within the law. Good luck in your search. There is a guy down Cheltenham/ Gloucester way who might be able to help.
tonyldee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyldee For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 21:04   #6
Camillus

I'm getting an intermittent reading on the speedo. On moving off the speedo jumps up to 40mph mark and then back to zero.? When the speedo is reading okay, so is the odometer. When speedo fails, odometer stops. Checked the connection at the rear axle sensor, looks fine, no loose wires or corrosion. Same with the instrument cluster. Ran a separate earth from the diff. sensor, just in case, still no joy. Does the actual diff. sensor go bad on these cars.? Milage is 68000 miles with the VDO instrument cluster. Took out the back seat but can't find any connectors in there.

Cheers,
Tommy.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 21:19   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camillus View Post
I'm getting an intermittent reading on the speedo. On moving off the speedo jumps up to 40mph mark and then back to zero.? When the speedo is reading okay, so is the odometer. When speedo fails, odometer stops. Checked the connection at the rear axle sensor, looks fine, no loose wires or corrosion. Same with the instrument cluster. Ran a separate earth from the diff. sensor, just in case, still no joy. Does the actual diff. sensor go bad on these cars.? Milage is 68000 miles with the VDO instrument cluster. Took out the back seat but can't find any connectors in there.

Cheers,
Tommy.
What car and year is it? There isn't an earth on the diff sensor anyway. Does the car have ABS? If so, does the ABS light behave as it should - i.e. come on with key position 2, go out after starting and stay off?

You won't find any connections under the back seat regardless of whether it's a saloon or estate but the wiring is in slightly different places for each.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2021, 20:51   #8
taiwan740

Mine does the same thing, but I've got a Yazaki speedo. Usually correlates with heavy rain, or leaving the car sitting for more than a day or two. I assume there is some moisture build up behind the dash which is causing it, as it seems to sort itself out if i run the heater fan on full heat and forward for an hour or so.

I have a replacement cluster for when the time comes but try to get the heater running on the dash vents so it gets the dash warm and see if that helps for a temporary fix.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2021, 11:22   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

I had a problem with the back axle wire touching the metal work for spare wheel well behind it. It wore a hole in the wire making an intermittent short.

If there is no speed signal the fuel ECU will engage a limp mode with a high idle if you use full power.

There is a spare terminal on the speedo for the speed signal, if you had a scope or pulse detector, or maybe just AC voltage measurement you could check it and determine if its the speed signal or the speedo.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 14:43   #10
Camillus

Hi Dave, It's a 1986 GL Volvo 740 saloon. It doesn't have ABS fitted.

Cheers,

Tommy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camillus For This Useful Post: