Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boost issues - Eliminating BCS or CBV

Views : 1555

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2021, 18:13   #11
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
Acquired a new CBV diaphragm (thanks SDG!), just wondering if there are any tips for getting at the bottom 10mm bolt on the casing? The other two seem fairly simplistic with the intercooler pipe off and heatshield removed.

Good weather here is rare currently, so I want to get all the info I can to cover all eventualities before the sun shines its rays for 30 seconds.
Yes that bolt is nasty, I remember it well. I recall when I did mine I removed something that was in the way to make it easier. Can't recall what though?? It was still very difficult, but doable. In the end I fitted the Forge Motorsports Recirc valve with the slightly stronger spring - this was after I bought the Kinugawa unit, hence I had
it leftover.

It turned out there was nowt wrong with it anyway, as it still under-boosted (chronically) after I fitted it and in the end the culprit was a split throttle body hose, DOH!!
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 17:50   #12
Cookeh
Premier Member

Thanks. As it turns out the bottom bolt is stupidly easy to get at and remove from under the car. It's also easy to get at the O/S upper bolt from under the car too. Top N/S is easy enough to get to with the intercooler pipe off too.

I got the under the car tip from a local connection, and once the car was in the air swapping the CBVs took all of 30mins.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 09:17   #13
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

Has replacing the TRV diaphragm fixed the low boost ok?

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 09:53   #14
Cookeh
Premier Member

The car has lower vacuum and is less hesitant on boost, so its certainly addressed something. There were no tears in the old, but is was deteriorated slightly. It wasn't as firm or elastic, which would explain the decreased hesitancy. I'm still boosting up to 8psi and then dropping to 5psi after a second or so, though. BCS is next, I guess.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 11:45   #15
JohnM 855 T5R
VOC Member

It's good the new diaphragm improved response and vacuum - that does suggest the old one had gone hard and was on its way out which is common. It's worth replacing them every 150K miles or 10 years. Did you fit a new spring as well (green one)? The springs do age and go weak - that commonly causes pressure leakage and low boost.
You say the pressure builds to 8 psi (I think 9.5 psi is about right for a T5) then drops back quickly to 5psi. Pressure will always momentarily spike a little and drop back as the TCV "catches up" and does it's job. Assuming there are no leaks from any of the pipework or intercooler, I can only think of 3 things -

1) the turbo can't push enough air - unlikely - as if it were that worn you would also probably have other issues such as oil burn or leakage.
2) the control valve is acting up - most likely and cheap at about £35 to £40 for a Pierburg unit and easy to fix.
3) wastegate faults - possible - Basically only 3 things can really go wrong. The spring that holds the waste gate shut has gone weak so its blowing off at a lower pressure. The wastegate valve isn't seating properly and allowing blow by, or the internal diaphragm is acting up though this I would have thought would cause too much boost. A standard replacement wastegate for a TD04HL can be had through eBay for about £50. You would need to follow the adjustment procedure after installation which you can find on here or all over the net.

John
11 C70 Solstice T5 Polestar
19 XC40 T5 R-Design Polestar
JohnM 855 T5R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnM 855 T5R For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 17:13   #16
Cookeh
Premier Member

Thanks, John. Excellent information. Yes, I fitted a new spring with the diaphragm. Piping and vac lines have all been inspected - they are in good condition and correctly routed. Regarding the actuator, whilst I can't rule it out I have adjusted fairly recently and it opens at 12.5kPa like I believe it should. This is what led me down the BCS vs CBV in the first instance, but there is no harm in double checking!