Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Estate Rear Bumper Removal

Views : 686

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2021, 09:01   #1
Ltom
940 Wagoner

Default 940 Estate Rear Bumper Removal

Hi All. The rear bumper on my 940 Estate has dropped on one side and rattles a lot. I have the repair kit from Scandix which I'm hoping will solve the problem.

Does anyone know of any guides or videos that show how to remove the rear bumper? The Haynes is not helpful. It feels like it's stuck at the sides near the rear wheel arch.
Ltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 09:33   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You need to undo the side mounting brackets inside the boot under the two side carpet panels. They are on the "outside" of the storage hole in the floor.

You then need to unbolt the impact shock absorbers from the boot floor (easier than removing them from the bumper). IIRC it will look like a 10mm nut on a stud either side.

If you have a tow bar and a skirt on the bumper you need to remove the skirt too which is about ten (no doubt rotten and rounded off) 8mm hex headed screws along the length of the bumper and where the mudflap would be.

If you have mudflaps you will have to remove those too.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 14:33   #3
TonyS9
Premier Member

I didn't realise they did a repair kit.

The repair kit looks like it is to resolve the aluminium steel interface corrosion issue between the steel shock mount and aluminium bumper bar with steel splined press-in inserts.

If you ever take off the bumper you will find the bumper and steel in pretty poor condition.

You can usually make your own repair plate, the whole thing was a bad design. A layer of etch primer on aluminium usually enough to prevent corrosion.

Skandix have a £60 delivery charge now for the UK. Did you pay that or did you get it before brexit?
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 20:51   #4
Jebus
VOC Member

My offside corner has dropped and needs a repair, trying to see if I can get a 2nd hand bar first make it good and just swap it over, the kit does look handy but I think have a crack at making something myself over 60 quid delivery

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 22:01   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

I just made a small steel rectangle with 2 holes in it and welded the bolts on, then feed that through the bumper bar. You just need something to stop the bolts turning.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 08:52   #6
Ltom
940 Wagoner

The bumper is aluminium so suffers from galvanic corrosion when in contact with the steel chassis. My bumper has dropped because the two bolts holding it to the damper on one side have completely detached from the bumper which basically dissolved.

I'll have a go and take some pics for this forum since I can literally find zero resources for this problem. I think I'll have to unclip the plastic bumper cover to do the fix but we'll see.

As for the delivery, I'm in France and I ordered it with a bunch of other parts. Delivery was 18 Euros. I agree that 60 quid makes no sense unless you're placing a big order.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 09:11   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

The bumper doesn't touch the chassis, it has an aluminium reinforcement with 4 steel bolts holding it to two steel bumper shock absorbers that are to help absorb an impact and then push the bumper back out afterwards. They rot as you say from galvonic corrosion between the two types of metal around the shock absorber mounting plate.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 15:52   #8
Ltom
940 Wagoner

Okay so I completed the job and took some pictures, I'll write it up into the how to section.

360 beast I'm not sure your last comment was necessary. The impact absorbers (which do not push back out like a shock absorber) are steel and are bolted to the steel chassis so the aluminium crash bar inside the bumper is electrically connected to the steel chassis which is why the galvanic corrosion occurs. Your instructions were helpful but there are also four additional bolts that have to be removed to get the bumper off accessed from underneath outside the car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ltom For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 15:57   #9
Ltom
940 Wagoner

Apparently I can't post a how-to article on this forum!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ltom For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 16:42   #10
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltom View Post
Okay so I completed the job and took some pictures, I'll write it up into the how to section.

360 beast I'm not sure your last comment was necessary. The impact absorbers (which do not push back out like a shock absorber) are steel and are bolted to the steel chassis so the aluminium crash bar inside the bumper is electrically connected to the steel chassis which is why the galvanic corrosion occurs. Your instructions were helpful but there are also four additional bolts that have to be removed to get the bumper off accessed from underneath outside the car.
The way I read your post was you were saying the actual bumper iron was connected to the chassis which it isn't as it is connected to the shock absorbers.

For the how to if you do the write up and post it in the 7/900 series section then people can see it. Then copy the link for it and post in the website support section of the forum asking for it to be moved to the articles section and admin will do it... very long winded way of doing it.