Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damaged injector bolt thread

Views : 654

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2020, 15:40   #1
gammakeith

Default Damaged injector bolt thread

2004 XC70 D5

I was servicing the car today and noticed some gunk starting to build up around the middle injector. My heart sank a little when I noticed an Allen bolt in one side rather than the correct 8mm hex headed bolt. My heart sank even further when I found it was not tight. Sure enough a slightly longer bolt has been used as the threads are damaged and will not hold a standard bolt. I've tightened it up as much as I dare (much tighter than before but still only reasonably tight) and its not blowing at tickover. I'm guessing it will last for a while but I am aware that this is likely only a temporary state of affairs. I'll need to pull the injector at some point and deal with the damaged thread. However, it looks very tight for a helicoil. Can anyone advise how best to tackle this please?

Thanks!

Keith
gammakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 07:02   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Helicoil or thread repair would be best but,
If a helicoil won't work, would fitting a stud to the head work. You could use the max thread length available and also studlock in place.
This would be quick and easy. Run a "plug" thread tap carefully down the hole to max depth, clean out with solvent, use studlock and install stud to max depth using double nuts on the stud to tighten it. Don't use too much stud lock or you could "hydraulic" the stud on the way down the hole.
You will then be using the undamaged thread on the stud for tightening.
Not OE but if you use a high tensile stud and nut should be a fairly sound repair.
If you ate very careful and want to get the full depth of thread you can file a very slight taper to the threads on the end of the stud to match the threads at the bottom of the hole and you can gain an extra couple of threads. The original tapping of the hole usually leaves the bottom threads slightly tapered due to the tap used.
Sometimes during manufacturemthe threads don't always go to the bottom of the hole and again when cleaning out the threads with a tap you can sometimes gain a couple more threads.
Only warning, if you do use a tap, take it easy and don't force it. You would be worse off with a snapped tap in the hole!
Photo might help to show space available.
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jul 12th, 2020 at 07:20.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 07:18   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Morning , you need to remove the hold down bolt & injector . The bottom of the injector hole requires removal of the sealing washer and then reaming to provide a perfectly flat base to the hole for the seal to sit on . If you omit this , the issue will simply occur again with blow-by occurring .

The hole simply requires a heli-coil or similar insert installing , BUT ensure BOTH holes are helicoiled , if one has been damaged you can bet the other is likely damaged as well . The clamping bolts are very specific in that the are torque to yield . It is best to buy a genuine kit as it contains all the seal , bolts & spring clamps required . Make sure that each bolt hole base it clean bright metal with nothing that can stop the bolt reaching all the way down the threads and giving an incorrect torque setting , too little & everything leaks , too much and you are drilling out & heli-coiling
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 08:27   #4
gammakeith

Thanks gentlemen! Some good tips there. I am gratified that you both think that a thread repair in situ is the best option and is viable. I will certainly buy a genuine kit to complete the job. I will, of course, be hoping that Volvo injectors don't put much of a battle to remove!

Thanks again, Keith
gammakeith is offline   Reply With Quote