Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321904

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2018, 00:21   #1611
oragex
Premier Member

Yet another small thing, noticed the door lock wouldn't turn so gave it some little attention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULZkFRtDKSk
Old Nov 18th, 2018, 17:16   #1612
petey
Master Member

Shouted at my stoopid horn that seemed to have stopped working.
Voltmeters make diagnosis so very much easier.....

(Anyone got a low tone horn hanging about?)
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 12:35   #1613
oragex
Premier Member

Did a video with removing and installing CV boot clamps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcODCwpyjEk
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 20:19   #1614
oragex
Premier Member

Got a moment to do a small video with the fuel door lock problem, see the video description for added details https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2uquZOlw5c
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 00:03   #1615
Dancake
Premier Member

Over the weekend I managed to fit two new SKF front wheel bearings, two new Volvo driveshaft seals, two new Lemförder ball joints and two new reluctor/ABS rings along with new Volvo driveshaft bolts. The NSF wheel bearing had started to rumble as a result of a failed driveshaft seal at 91,000 miles. At least it's sorted for another few years.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2018, 22:54   #1616
oragex
Premier Member

Here's what the oil in a good condition Volvo engine looks like after 5000 miles driving https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBWmjtjbrU
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 19:04   #1617
Swedefarm

Fixed the creaky squeaky steering in my V70.

Some clown didn't feel the need to do a tidy job of a steering rack.

The bearing that sits in the rubber boot between the bulkhead was not put in place, 40 minutes and a load Effing and Jeffing and the sod is back in place and the noise has gone.

It let so much noise from the engine bay in I thought I had a passing injector or a duff turbo.... Sounds sweet..
Swedefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swedefarm For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 13:00   #1618
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Not been on here in a while, in that time I have...

Replaced the clutch master cylinder, bodge-fixed the clutch position sensor with a couple of resistors to get rid of the "engine service required" light every startup (new ones are a bit hard to come by it would seem and expensive for what they are). As part of this, replaced brake fluid.

Oil/filter service, oil still looks nice after a few hundred miles, not like diesels of old where it went black after 5 mins running!

PAS fluid flush/replace with correct CHF, improved the "twitchy" assistance but still need a rack/repair the original. Seeing as it's sandwiched in there I'll be buying a used one and strip/clean/check that before fitting, will keep original and try and sort it out too.

Replaced top engine mount, found faulty during master cylinder change, with Powerflex polyurethane item. Slightly more noise transmission at idle but I think that there would be with stock too if it was not completely separated/worn down and floating! Excellent result regards smoothness on take-up and starting/shutting off, never thought it'd make that much difference.

Found evidence of water in the passenger footwell, fingers crossed the original screen isn't failing as no sign of delamination, removed glove box and hopefully traced to heater inlet seal.

Repaired the fuel door spring retainer (with a couple of self tappers for now, don't see the need to replace it until I really have to.)

Replaced the blue slider blocks in driver's window regulator, and replaced the top rivet that had been popped out so that now works nicely.
(need to find a door membrane though as previous repair attempts someone has seen fit to just rip it out, and check passenger side is intact).

Apart from that, just changed wiper blades and enjoyed miles of comfortable cruising in a 195k car that feels (steering assistance excepted) like a 50k car. Think that's me up to date, next tasks are removing the wiper arms/scuttle panel and checking around for my leak/reassembling the glovebox when it's fixed.)

EDIT- oh, just remembered I miraculously found the left mudflap we lost. It was sat by the side of the road where it must have fallen, completely undamaged and not run over, no less than 10 days after we noticed it gone! So refitted that with some long rivets.

Last edited by ma70; Nov 30th, 2018 at 13:25.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 12:01   #1619
MarvinMitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Apart from that, just changed wiper blades and enjoyed miles of comfortable cruising in a 195k car that feels (steering assistance excepted) like a 50k car.
Hehe. My 340K miles V70 suspension has recently got:

bushings:
front: subframe, controlarms, top mounts.
rear: trailing arms, top mounts, camber link

springs and B4 dampers
inner/outer tie rods
ball joint
drop links

And I feel too like driving a below 50K car if to ignore the worn but comfy seat trim
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 17:17   #1620
petey
Master Member

Fixed the horn (dubious connectors and a fubar’d horn sounder)
Connected VIDA and confirmed the air quality sensor is US.
Saw an error where the swirl flap was out of whack so performed the recalibration on that. Seems better.
Cleaned headlights because the best lights in the world won’t see through an inch of grime.

Good old V70, 166k and rocking on.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote