Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

‘97 V90 MOT failure.

Views : 1649

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 20:46   #11
Luke33

Hello, could you send me over your number please? Many Thanks
Luke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 23:09   #12
940volvoman
Master Member

If this were a manual I'd bite your hand off. A cat isn't that hard to replace
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 20:07   #13
oliV90r
V90 3.0 'till Infinity.

Thank you to all for the advice. I realise it’s worth very little without the MOT but just want it going to a good home. It’s currently on my elderly parent’s drive and I don’t want to put them out anymore than I already have hence low on options. I’m going to get a second opinion on the brakes none the less.
1993 940SE
1998 V90

Last edited by oliV90r; Feb 21st, 2022 at 20:19.
oliV90r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 20:18   #14
oliV90r
V90 3.0 'till Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Brakes should be fine then. What was replaced ? Discs and pads or calipers all round

When does the MOT expire ?

Thanks
MOT expired February 2021. The pads and discs replaced all round mid 2019 I believe. Been such a weird couple of years I’ve lost track!
1993 940SE
1998 V90
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 20:25   #15
oliV90r
V90 3.0 'till Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke33 View Post
Hello, could you send me over your number please? Many Thanks
I’ve messaged you 👍🏻
1993 940SE
1998 V90
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 20:31   #16
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliV90r View Post
Thank you to all for the advice. I realise it’s worth very little without the MOT but just want it going to a good home. It’s currently on my elderly parent’s drive and I don’t want to put them out anymore than I already have hence low on options. I’m going to get a second opinion on the brakes none the less.
Chances are that as it stands, someone will "take it off your hands" for a pittance, get it tidied up and tested, and then put it up for sale several thousand pounds, making themselves a tidy profit that in all honesty, could have been yours.

If the brakes were replaced in 2019 then there's no way that you need new ones! Well, to qualify that, if the discs and pads were replaced in 2019 they won't need replacing. But if the car has been stood for a while you might find that the callipers, carriers and sliders are seized, in which case it gets a bit more problematical.

But it has to be worth getting a better idea of what needs doing - you might be pleasantly surprised. In 30+ years of Volvo ownership these incredible cars have never failed to impress me with just how well-built and robust they are, and the sort of issue that would kill off most cars, well, a Volvo is for Life as they used to say! And a Volvo from the late 1990's is about as good as they get in that respect. Modern materials coupled with old-school engineering quality is a great combination.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 21:11   #17
oliV90r
V90 3.0 'till Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Chances are that as it stands, someone will "take it off your hands" for a pittance, get it tidied up and tested, and then put it up for sale several thousand pounds, making themselves a tidy profit that in all honesty, could have been yours.

If the brakes were replaced in 2019 then there's no way that you need new ones! Well, to qualify that, if the discs and pads were replaced in 2019 they won't need replacing. But if the car has been stood for a while you might find that the callipers, carriers and sliders are seized, in which case it gets a bit more problematical.

But it has to be worth getting a better idea of what needs doing - you might be pleasantly surprised. In 30+ years of Volvo ownership these incredible cars have never failed to impress me with just how well-built and robust they are, and the sort of issue that would kill off most cars, well, a Volvo is for Life as they used to say! And a Volvo from the late 1990's is about as good as they get in that respect. Modern materials coupled with old-school engineering quality is a great combination.

Jack
Thanks Jack.
I’m going to get a second opinion on the brakes and take it from there re. MOT I think. Over the small distance I’ve driven it, they felt fine so maybe just need a good run? It’s still got to go either way though sadly.
I’m actually in my 15th year of Volvo ownership and know how good these models are. If entirely up to me, I’d never sell the Silver Fox.
Ollie.
1993 940SE
1998 V90
The Following User Says Thank You to oliV90r For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 21:16   #18
Forrest
VOC Member

It is quite common for the brakes to seize on RWD Volvos, especially if unused for a period of time. The callipers can usually be unseized fairly easily and cheaply and other components are fairly cheap to replace.

Is the cat actually damaged/missing or is the problem a warning lamp or a confirmed P0422 OBDII code? Only the first of these implies a new cat.

Also note that if the cat is original its trade in value might go a long way to covering the repairs you’ve mentioned so far.

As to price, I paid £900 last year for one with a similar mileage and eight months MOT. Many on here have said that was a low price; but it worked for both the seller and me at the time. I’d have willingly paid a similar amount for yours if I were still in the market - which with five cars four of which are Volvo estates I’m not!

Good luck with the sale.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 13:23   #19
oliV90r
V90 3.0 'till Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
It is quite common for the brakes to seize on RWD Volvos, especially if unused for a period of time. The callipers can usually be unseized fairly easily and cheaply and other components are fairly cheap to replace.

Is the cat actually damaged/missing or is the problem a warning lamp or a confirmed P0422 OBDII code? Only the first of these implies a new cat.

Also note that if the cat is original its trade in value might go a long way to covering the repairs you’ve mentioned so far.

As to price, I paid £900 last year for one with a similar mileage and eight months MOT. Many on here have said that was a low price; but it worked for both the seller and me at the time. I’d have willingly paid a similar amount for yours if I were still in the market - which with five cars four of which are Volvo estates I’m not!

Good luck with the sale.

No warning light for the cat but was advised at the last MOT that it was on the way out. Thanks for the info on the brakes and on your latest addition to the fleet. That gives me a better idea of how much I could expect to get 👍🏻
1993 940SE
1998 V90