Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking of selling my police V70 T5...

Views : 1928

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2021, 22:30   #11
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIvolvo View Post
Plastic tank and the fuel filter has been changed every other year.

MoTed until November but would put a fresh MoT on it anyway - advisories on rear ARB's but they will be done soon.
Do you have a price in mind ?
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2021, 23:44   #12
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Default How about £3 and a Bacon Bagel?

Ok having just bought my first Volvo I am up for a second one at the right price:

So £3 for the car and....

the Bacon Bagel for delivering it to East Anglia
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 09:05   #13
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

It sure why people are coming on this thread to offer £1, £2 and £3? The question from the OP was very reasonable and if I were him/her I would have given up on this thread by now.

Volvo forum is better than this.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 09:49   #14
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I think it's just become a bit of a running joke in that OP hasn't suggested a price so we're left to guess / make bids

I read it as a bit of light-hearted jesting tbh I dont think anyone's really being malicious or anything

a series of pictures and a starting price would be a really useful addition to this advert to be fair

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:05   #15
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
Sounds like a reasonable car, the snag might be one of location rather than spec, however, being you're in the West of Scotland.

GLWTS, sounds like a fun car to drive.
Agreed, I had to get it from England as I wanted it, obviously would have been handier if it was local - so on the flip side maybe this car coming into the Scottish/North England market will make it appeal to more local buyers.
TDIvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:18   #16
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Do you have a price in mind ?
Why I created this post really, trying to work that out.

In honesty the owner should be the right one and maybe the money won't be exactly right but the the new owner is in which case I would take this into consideration.

I have 4 cars here, youngest being a 58 plate, oldest being a 1990 - they all need some care and attention, the Volvo is a daily driver, it was scheduled for a full suspension refresh this year (starting about now) and was going to see the front end subframe re-bushed and the ARB's done etc. I was going to give the rear end a good once over and change anything that will have undoubtable gone a bit soft with age and miles. This was going to be a 3-4 month project but it has all fallen through due to medium term access to my 2 post, having no time now - I have just spent the last 3 years building a garage and extension and now the garden needs a final push to complete the job so that is now priority with my limited time.

Tax is also the lower band than it should be due to being ex-police it is £275(sih) at todays prices. I think it should be about £450.
The Following User Says Thank You to TDIvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:28   #17
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
I think it's just become a bit of a running joke in that OP hasn't suggested a price so we're left to guess / make bids

I read it as a bit of light-hearted jesting tbh I dont think anyone's really being malicious or anything

a series of pictures and a starting price would be a really useful addition to this advert to be fair
This isn't an advert thought!

This is a post, aimed at other owners, past owners and potential owners of Mk 2 V70’s and in particular a T5.

I am asking to get a feel for what people think, is it ball park £1750 or maybe it is £2750 – that sort of thing, or maybe you all agree it should just go on eBay for £500 like the rest and I see what happens (although realistically at that money I would just store it ). The issue is £500-750 cars usually get bought by a plasterer or painted who just want a “van” to last a year – that I do not want to happen to her. I know for a fact if I was in a “normal” car position (i.e. didn’t seem to collect them) I would just get her into the garage, get her stripped and probably do a real number on her, sort of semi-restoration and then just drive her.
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:30   #18
TDIvolvo
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It sure why people are coming on this thread to offer £1, £2 and £3? The question from the OP was very reasonable and if I were him/her I would have given up on this thread by now.

Volvo forum is better than this.
Thank you, I see you got the point of my post, but I get the banter, it is fine. I appreciate the silly bids for keeping the post at the top of the list.
Old May 19th, 2021, 10:37   #19
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

that's all totally understandable and I hope you get decent offers and someone takes it to look after it and enjoy it, I wasn't trying to get on your nerves or anything lol

but I still think some pictures would help people get a better idea of value with regards to condition and so on

it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it really so even it's not an advert as such you still have to drum up a bit of interest if you want to get a good price

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 11:03   #20
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I also took the offers of £1, £2, etc., in jocular vein, thinking that perhaps they were intended by the posters to encourage 'TDIvolvo' to name his asking price by the use of not-so-subtle humour.

But therein lies his dilemma; how much should he ask, what would be a reasonable price to pay?

I'm not in the market for this car, but, if I was, I could see it as a high mileage V70 needing a little work and make a cheeky bid of £1000. On the other hand, I might view it as a well sorted T5 and feel that £5000 would not be too much to spend on the car of my dreams.

Cars like 'TDIvolvo's are no longer 'in the book', so that option is no longer available to him. At this level, I personally would always buy any car on condition; colour, spec, trim, etc., all being secondary considerations. I might prefer leather, but if all of those so equipped that I view are either tatty or mechanically unsound, and an otherwise ideal car, but one having fabric trim, became available, I would not regard that as a deal breaker.

Whatever 'TDIvolvo' asks, there will be those who say that it is too much / too little. If he says £1000, he will very likely be under-selling his car and be fending off potential purchasers like there is no tomorrow. If he asks £5000, the car will, in all probability 'stick' and he will get people asking HOW much!

Neither knowing the car nor the owner, it is always hard to name a figure, but, as 'XC90Mk1' pointed out, 'TDIvolvo' asked a reasonable question, which merits a reasonable answer. I'm no expert, but as someone is going to have to stick their neck out if we are going to assist the OP, it might as well be me. In that spirit, if the car were mine, I would advertise it at £3000 ono and be prepared to 'shake' at between two and three - hopefully somewhere in the middle. I think that would be fair to both parties, but I doubt that all will agree!

Regards, John.