Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sloppy gear change

Views : 888

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2005, 00:58   #1
gbartling

Default sloppy gear change

hi all
i have a 94 940 2 litre turbo 5 speed manual with a sloppy gearchange, the only reference i have found on the forum said this was a rubber bush problem in the gear change. can anybody confirm this and if so do you know the part number. second question is, i have a 740 volvo i am using for spares, can i use the gear change off this or any of the bushes as this gearbox is lovely, nice and positive. third question is about the reversing lights, i have none. could this be part of the same problem or just the reversing switch ( can i us ethe 740 one) thanks in advance.

gary b
gbartling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 10:45   #2
mgarageu

if you have M47 fitted, you can use details from 240, 740 and 360...
Old Dec 24th, 2005, 16:08   #3
gbartling

Default problem found

removed gear change gator and retaining plate and found previous owner had removed rubber bushes from linkage and replaced them with two lengths of garden hose and a cable tie to hold them in, the cable tie had moved and when replaced gear change was fine though they fell out again soon after. i will order two bushes from volvo next week unless anybody knows of another source, i tried gsf but they do not list them. looked at 740 gear change and noticed 5th gear on opposite side and when gator was removed could see linkage was completely different so could not use. is the reverse switch the same on all the gearboxes or did they differ?
if anybody wants any spares of the 740 it is an estate 2.3 petrol. if i can remove the part easily myself then email me with any offers.

gary b
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 00:48   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default Re your sloppy gearchange (Gary B)

You are more likely to have the M90 gearbox which has 5th and reverse on the right of the gearchange. The reversing switch is at top of left hand rear of the gearbox and is an unscrewable switch having a two wire connector which unplugs from the side of the box. If I recall correctly the lever bushings are usually the problem and may be corrected by tightening one of the linkage nuts and bolts. It is possible that Eurocarparts may have the items in stock or give keith a bell at Northwest Trading (posts on here as "drivesavolvo".

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 13:10   #5
gbartling

Smile fixed

got the two bushes from volvo dealer and fitted no problem, gear change is now perfect! also fitted new reverse light switch so now people get some warning before the big red bus comes towards them ( some very wide eyes on drivers who where behind me ) thanks everybody.

gary b