Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Chasing a slightly lumpy idle...still

Views : 7982

Replies : 164

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 17:07   #101
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

More work done today...fitted the new four-hole nozzle injectors! They didn’t make a huge amount of difference at first impression, perhaps a little smoother under power. The EZK etc obviously has to tweak itself to accommodate (did the customary Fuse #1 pull of course) so perhaps more benefits will reveal themselves over time.

If anything, they perhaps flatten the torque curve a little bit-a touch more at the bottom and top at the expense of the midrange. That’s fine by me.

A good test for me is to drive from my hometown of Sherborne to Yeovil, then turn around and drive back, this time up the rather fallaciously named Babylon Hill. Babylon Hill (or “Babs ‘ill” as it’s known by some!) is a long, steep bugger of an incline that isn’t particularly NA Volvo friendly. When I bought my 744, it wouldn’t climb it at more than 40mph in third. After the ignition system rebuild it would motor up it at 50, but today, with the new injectors onboard, I cruised up at 60 and was able to put it in fourth for the last third of the climb without disappearing backwards into the pack of following cars!

Progress...just the in-tank pump and shocks to do now. Not looking forward to the former!!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 17:41   #102
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Nice!
A 20mph increase up a steep hill is a good show of significantly more power since you got it.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 18:47   #103
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Nice!
A 20mph increase up a steep hill is a good show of significantly more power since you got it.
Yeah I’m pretty happy with that! It had been a bit neglected when I bought it and did need a good going through, but it’s a really up together car now from the mechanical perspective. It’ll never be a rocketship unless I go +T (which I don’t intend to do!) but I like the stately performance.

The cosmetic stuff is next...nothing fancy, just lots of touching up and polishing to do. I’m not hipster enough to call it “detailing” but that’s what’s required!!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 19:28   #104
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Good work well done Phil!

I'd be interested to know how the economy fares with the 4-pintle injectors?

Also, do you have a part number for them please? Such as 0 280 abc xyz?

Out of interest, has the idle improved with the new injectors?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 19:56   #105
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Good work well done Phil!

I'd be interested to know how the economy fares with the 4-pintle injectors?

Also, do you have a part number for them please? Such as 0 280 abc xyz?

Out of interest, has the idle improved with the new injectors?
I’ll be interested to see how the economy shapes up too...the part number for them is 0280156045. The only difference fitment wise is that the four pintle units don’t have a recess for the clips that snug the yellow ones into the fuel rail-the new ones have a different shaped nozzle end so they butt up to the intake manifold apertures with no lengthwise movement whatsoever, so the clips aren’t required-they fit perfectly between the rail and the manifold.

I noticed that there was a fair bit of black gunk in the intake manifold, I cleaned up as much of it as possible with carb cleaner but I’ll have to take it off at some point and give it a good clean.

Oddly enough, the injectors smoothed out the idle by a VERY small amount but it’s still slightly uneven.

A friend of mine posited the theory that the head gasket might be leaking a smidgen of coolant into one of the cylinders which was causing the occasional shudder, but the car doesn’t seem to lose any coolant to speak of and it comes up to temp like a champ, with the gauge sitting at halfway come hell or high water, so I’m not convinced by that theory!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 20:28   #106
AndyV7o
Premier Member

It could, however, leak compression/combustion into an adjacent cylinder, causing no effect upon the oil or coolant. Have you had a compression test? (I dont recall, I know it was mentioned earlier)
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 21:28   #107
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Thanks for the part number Phil - i might have to hunt down a set for my beastie as well. Thought of doing it for my Jeep but that was on gas most of the time and wasn't ever planned as a "keeper".

If you're losing coolant into the combustion chambers, wave goodbye to your Lambda sensor! Coolant tends to kill them in short order!

I doubt the head gasket has gone, if it's pulling better now with the other improvements you've made, then the potential head gasket fault would be emphasised - the symptoms have decreased which points away from the head gasket.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 01:25   #108
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I’ve not done a compression test yet-I don’t have a compression tester at present but would be a useful thing to have in the toolbox. My plan is to replace the in-tank pump first off (as I know it’s weak) and drive it for a while with the new injectors etc in place to let the ECU etc get its head around the new gubbins...I’ve found that any significant changes usually take the ECU around 80 miles to adapt to, at which point it all settles and everything gets quicker/smoother/generally better.

I suspect that having a fully fresh pair of pumps will optimise steady fuel pressure at the rail and help join the last few dots with it all. If not, I’ll do a compression test and delve a bit deeper. I don’t really fancy having the head off, but I could do it if need be...skimming heads and blocks isn’t in my skill set but it wouldn’t be a problem to do rings, a hone and lap the valves in. A bit of a faff compared to the light tinkering I generally prefer though!

Dave, I tend to agree about the HG-the Lambda system seems fine, I may put a fresh sensor in at some point but by choice not necessity. The car is drum tight in terms of oil and coolant, it hasn’t used a drop of either since I did the oil change and coolant flush when I bought it!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 01:52   #109
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
If not, I’ll do a compression test and delve a bit deeper. I don’t really fancy having the head off, but I could do it if need be...skimming heads and blocks isn’t in my skill set but it wouldn’t be a problem to do rings, a hone and lap the valves in. A bit of a faff compared to the light tinkering I generally prefer though!

Dave, I tend to agree about the HG-the Lambda system seems fine, I may put a fresh sensor in at some point but by choice not necessity. The car is drum tight in terms of oil and coolant, it hasn’t used a drop of either since I did the oil change and coolant flush when I bought it!
Have i suggested adding some synthetic ATF to the engine oil Phil? It might be worth a try, it will help revive oil seals and keep them supple (not too much of a problem with yours if it's not using/leaking oil) and also gently but very effectively clean the engine internals, including any slightly sticky piston rings.

The other thing that might be worth a try is Seafoam spray, i've not used it but have seen some very good results on YouTube :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-FOAM-...y/252942048128

There might be something cheaper but i can't find it on ebay, i made a basic water injection kit on my Rover but couldn't get it to work on any of my Volvos - this basically steam cleaned the engine internals (as well as giving more power and economy!) and decoked the engine as i drove. The emissions were cleaner year on year so i know it worked on the Rover, just couldn't get it to work on a Volvo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 12:49   #110
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

You will need a pressure lost check to find a fault at the head gasket between cylinder 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.
A compression test isn't precise enough.
The head gasket is prone to fail between two cylinders.
Thank you for the number of the nozzles
Regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post: