Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Catalytic Converter Theft

Views : 7353

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2020, 20:43   #21
Dippydog
Premier Member

Another thing is they don't know what they're getting until after they've cut it off.My V70 for example has a cheap aftermarket cat on it which a previous owner had fitted to get it through an M.o.T. so would hardly be worth their while,but as said they won't know that until it's too late.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 22:06   #22
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Another thing is they don't know what they're getting until after they've cut it off.My V70 for example has a cheap aftermarket cat on it which a previous owner had fitted to get it through an M.o.T. so would hardly be worth their while,but as said they won't know that until it's too late.
They don’t care mate. It’s like any thief, they take to good with the bad, it’s still better than the dole I’m sure.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 10:54   #23
itchyfruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I’ve been reading a lot about catalytic converter theft in the press recently. Exponential rise in thefts due to particular precious metal prices rising by 10 fold in the last couple of years. Reports of it happening in my local area.

Is this something to be worried about on Volvos, and in particular my 58 plate V70 D5?
Had mine stolen a couple of weeks back (1997 V70 Diesel) police gave a crime number but basically said they wouldn't pursue anything as they had no leads.
Second car so not an issue work wise but still annoying.
Even more annoying was getting a speeding ticket for just over the 70 mph speed limit on a duel carriageway, apparently the 'leeway' on average speed cameras has been removed/reduced to help reduce traffic and bring in extra income.
Got me thinking, have crime rates gone up because police are no longer stopping (checking details/searching) cars for speeding but instead just leaving it to speed traps/Gatso cameras to identify speeding drivers. Seems this approach doesn't really affect those driving with false plates or in cloned cars who are 'presumably' the most likely to be upto criminal activities.

Just kinda annoying to think that if the person that stole my cat was pulled over for speeding away from the incident, the police may have had something to go on.
itchyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itchyfruit For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 12:18   #24
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyfruit View Post
Had mine stolen a couple of weeks back (1997 V70 Diesel) police gave a crime number but basically said they wouldn't pursue anything as they had no leads.
Meanwhile I saw a video recently of a group of 4-5 police officers chasing/arresting a Michael Jackson impersonater, for performing in the high street.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 13:02   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Meanwhile I saw a video recently of a group of 4-5 police officers chasing/arresting a Michael Jackson impersonater, for performing in the high street.
For crimes against music and the Noise Abatement Society no doubt?!?!?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 13:38   #26
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
go find the one where plod were there en-mass giving out tickets to people having a snowball fight "breaching covid restrictions" , then you really will be a "happy bunneh"

and why not chase a performer ,its an easy "crime solved" number
Doing the job and tracking down thieves,, nah too much like hard work oh and you didnt have CCTV , finger prints, copies of there passports/driving licences showing a photo and inside leg measurements = not interested

But catch said scrote attempting to steal/steal from/vandalise etc your onw car and "Educate them" , plods there in force in a flash to arrest You and give the scrote a cuppa, holiday in spain etc,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 18:05   #27
LankyTim
Missing the point

I fitted a decat pipe to my old V70 D5, the best of both worlds, I got the scrap value for the cat and removed a theft risk.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LankyTim For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 21:34   #28
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooser View Post
I’m all for harsh punishments, but the idea that somehow you are glad that a car had crushed to death a petty criminal beggars belief.

He is someone’s either son, husband, dad - and you don’t know what drove him to crime.

A very sad story.
I beg to disagree. If you don’t go jacking up cars and stealing then you won’t get hurt.

A word of advice to yourself for these ‘sons and husbands’. If you catch them in the act they will stab you through the chest like you pop to the toilet. There are bad people in this world.

For the record, no, I take no pleasure in hearing it what so ever however keep things in perspective.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2021, 21:36   #29
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Purely out of curiosity, would you share the same view if said toerag had cost you a grand in replacement costs of the cat and exhaust system?

Remember this wasn't the first one he'd done, he had stolen many other cats from people who were all also someones spouse, offspring or siblings. Often it will fall on family members to foot the bill for replacement because the owner (i use the term loosely due to the various finance packages/contract hires etc these days) is just about making ends meet on a good week.

They lose a minimum of a day at work to have the repairs done, never mind the time lost between when it first happens and the parts become available.
That could easily be a week or more and in the worst cases, that person might lose their job because they can't get there or perhaps can't get an ill relative to hospital and that person dies as a result.

The thief knew the risks involved, cars can fall off jacks all too easily - i still bear the scar of when it happened to me. That was in broad daylight in my own drive on my own car, repairing it for the MoT.

I didn't say i was glad, that was you putting words in my mouth. I merely pointed out the obvious advantages of his demise - he would have been caught due to the CCTV and very many hours of Police time (that's your money paying for that time by the way, through your council tax among other methods) actually tracking the guy down, arresting him, taking him to court and so on, not to mention the cost per day of keeping him incarcerated for his crimes.

It's no wonder crime is so high here now, successive govts (of all political orientation) have reduced the Police force to a farce, not only in sheer numbers of officers but in their powers of arrest. I used to watch a lot of emergency service based tv (Road Wars, Police Interceptors, 999 on the front line, 999 what's your emergency and so on) and i've noticed over recent years instead of the arresting officer advising the "perp" they are "Under arrest to facilitate the prompt investigation of the alleged crime" they now say something along the lines of "We're going to have to arrest you, is that alright?".

What would they do if the criminal said "No chance copper" but in more "elaborate" words consisting of at least one Anglo-Saxon derived expletive and did a runner? Not a lot i shouldn't think because they're not allowed to tackle the criminals anymore as far as i'm aware.

Why has this happened? Because do-gooders have successfully badgered the various govts over the years to treat criminals better and now criminals have no fear of the police, possible consequences (loss of liberty etc) or law in general.

I have no idea of your age group and i'm not asking but if you are a certain age group or older, you'll see the logic in what i have presented here - you may not agree with it but i'm sure you'll agree there is logic there.
Forget the 1000 quid, this isn’t a bank clerk. Return to your vehicle whilst he is in the act and you may pay for it with your life.

I agree with what you say.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: