Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc 70 or Xc 90 ?

Views : 2168

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:47   #31
skippyfox
VOC Member

Have just had a quick sniff on auto trader. 151 XC90,s for sale. 34 of which are in the £6000-£7000 bracket. Age wise they seem to be starting around a 10 plate. Good Hunting, or should that be, Go fish..
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 16:54   #32
andy_d
Premier Member

one thing to consider as you are dealing with "mud + hill" = tyre choice, your going to need tyres more suited to that than "general road use" as "most" cars on "road tyres" aint going to do That great on muddy hills/slopes, regardless of 4x4/ rwd/fwd

(ps go get the the xc90 if that's what your fancying and can afford)
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 19:41   #33
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Sounds like you fancy the XC90 but do be aware a lot of kit is complex and expensive on them.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 07:42   #34
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Sounds like you fancy the XC90 but do be aware a lot of kit is complex and expensive on them.
I love mine , but like yourself do most of any required work myself. It can get costly very quickly otherwise.

In addition, if I was the OP, I would certainly be getting hold of a laptop with Vida/Dice and this will save a lot of money and wasted time if a problem does occur.

OP :-

Good luck finding the right car

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 09:43   #35
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I love mine , but like yourself do most of any required work myself. It can get costly very quickly otherwise.

In addition, if I was the OP, I would certainly be getting hold of a laptop with Vida/Dice and this will save a lot of money and wasted time if a problem does occur.

OP :-

Good luck finding the right car
Those who know me know I am a bit OTT about maintenance with mine! Lol! Bought it from the used Volvo scheme and straight away changed Haldex, auto box, oil, filters (all) and brake fluid. Also renewed rear discs, pads and shoes. Then I service with oil and filter every 6k.

However, over 4 years and 50,000 the total cost for all servicing work, repairs and all consumables including tyres has been £1800. £100 of that was for the tyre winch (my fault 100%!) and £70.00 was for fuel flap solenoid.

Absolutely agree with all said about the XC90. Buy the best one you can, keep it impeccably serviced and they will go forever. Work colleagues have ones at 200K plus without issues.

Excellent car but only for home mechanic. If I went to the dealerships for the work I have done I reckon I would be looking at 5 times the price I have paid to service!

The difficulty with an answer to this question is that the GV is the ‘better’ car. It’s half the price, loads less to run and loads cheaper on spares. However get yourself some basic tools and oil and filter changes are sub £50.00. Air filters and gear boxes etc are cheap as chips to service.

Neglect maintenance however and a few £1,000 to £3,000 repair bills will come your way!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 10:04   #36
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Those who know me know I am a bit OTT about maintenance with mine! Lol! Bought it from the used Volvo scheme and straight away changed Haldex, auto box, oil, filters (all) and brake fluid. Also renewed rear discs, pads and shoes. Then I service with oil and filter every 6k.

However, over 4 years and 50,000 the total cost for all servicing work, repairs and all consumables including tyres has been £1800. £100 of that was for the tyre winch (my fault 100%!) and £70.00 was for fuel flap solenoid.

Absolutely agree with all said about the XC90. Buy the best one you can, keep it impeccably serviced and they will go forever. Work colleagues have ones at 200K plus without issues.

Excellent car but only for home mechanic. If I went to the dealerships for the work I have done I reckon I would be looking at 5 times the price I have paid to service!

The difficulty with an answer to this question is that the GV is the ‘better’ car. It’s half the price, loads less to run and loads cheaper on spares. However get yourself some basic tools and oil and filter changes are sub £50.00. Air filters and gear boxes etc are cheap as chips to service.

Neglect maintenance however and a few £1,000 to £3,000 repair bills will come your way!

Tough as old boots. Brilliant vehicles.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:10   #37
Volvo6
Master Member

Despite all the warnings on this thread (which are well made, particularly bills etc on a car which now going to be more than 10 years old), I would also add my voice that the XC90 in particular is a very good car - I loved the one we had and it is clear why they were so popular when they first came out.

Of course by the end they were quite dated, but rather like the 240, 850 etc, they were one of those cars that Volvo really put their mind to design wise and it shows from a design/comfort/practicality point of view.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 13:17   #38
Dicky Boy

Lol Thanks bud !
Dicky Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 13:25   #39
Dicky Boy

I have plenty of experience of off road driving with the purpose built 4 x 4 and off road tyres. My GV has Mud tyres on the back and all terrains on the front and it will and does go everywhere I have ever wanted it to in the UK. After watching some Utube vids on the XC90 off road abilities I had mad up my mind to fit it with all terrains so its not too noisy on the road but has a bit more of a chance off road. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Much appreciated.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 13:31   #40
Dicky Boy

Thank you for the Vida/Dice tip that could be very useful. I take it it's a diagnostic app that you buy then download?