Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why Volvo

Views : 2900

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 19:33   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
I'm a weak individual when it comes to cars. It's the wifes 40th this year and I'm really trying not to spend the savings on an Austin Healey Sprite.
Perfect solution - buy the wife the AH Sprite for her 40th! It's a unique present after all.........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 19:41   #22
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Perfect solution - buy the wife the AH Sprite for her 40th! It's a unique present after all.........
Great investment! Why not stretch to the 3ltr. even better!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 21:51   #23
DSK
C70 T5

When I was 26, my uncle owned one of the C70 T5's I have now. At the time I had a Celica GT4 and had to drive the Volvo as he was drunk..... even at modest speeds, the performance was stunning and the comfort...… I told him to sell it to me when he decided to move on.

I covered 150,000 miles in it since and the sheer sense of well being is like very little else. Its mechanically run rings around anything else I have owned and slowly a Jaguar XKR 4.2, E39 BMW M5 were kicked off the driveway being replaced by more Volvo's!

All have been uber reliable, laughing in the faces of modern stuff I tried alongside taking 1,000 mile a week commutes for the last 10 years like it was only a mile, never skipping a beat, proudly showing a clean pair of heels to many more modern machines.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 22:43   #24
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I should have been clearer...

... It is for her. She used to have a 1966 Sprite. She loved it more than me.

Quite frankly, she deserves one too.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HankScorpio For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 00:53   #25
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

For me, it's because they have what I call "premium longevity", sometimes at the expense of being a little bit behind the times.

For example, the Volvo V40 hatchback from 2012. One of the criticisms it received at launch was that it featured a telephone keypad in the center console, despite the practice of manually dialling a telephone number being woefully outdated with the target audience the car was aimed at.

Fast forward FIVE years later when Volvo facelifted the V40... and the telephone keypad remained! That's the same keypad that's been in place since 2004 from the P1 S40... so if you owned a final 2017 model year V40, you're sharing technology from a car designed nearly 15 years prior. Yet you look at a 2017 BMW model, and everything is "latest idrive hand gesture voice command headup display"... they are worlds apart, and actually I appreciate that Volvo lets it's technology get a good run and stand the test of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 06:42   #26
Briggo

Quote:
and the telephone keypad remained!
That doesn't mean they're ahead of the curve, thats just cost cutting.

Who else has a keypad on their interior dash? No one as its an unnecessary large amount of space taken up.
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Briggo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 10:57   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Yet you look at a 2017 BMW model, and everything is "latest idrive hand gesture voice command headup display"...
I can just imagine the chaos if a wasp flew in while driving.......................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 12:47   #28
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggo View Post
That doesn't mean they're ahead of the curve, thats just cost cutting.

Who else has a keypad on their interior dash? No one as its an unnecessary large amount of space taken up.
I agree it's unnecessary and a company like BMW or Audi would get rid of it immediately. Im just making the point that prior to the new models under chineese owner$hip, almost every volvo felt out of date compared to it's rivals. And sometimes being out of date = more reliable.

Case in point, I just bought a year 2000 V70 classic (P80) and as soon as I sat in it, it felt significantly ancient compared to other cars from the year 2000 and earlier that I've previously owned. Now obviously we know it's a reskinned 850 underneath, but in terms of longevity it's reassuring to know it's tried and tested.

Same with the first XC90... that car was on sale from 2002 to 2014.
For comparison BMW launched three generations of it's X5 competitor during the whole time the original XC90 was on sale.

Last edited by T5R92011; Feb 4th, 2021 at 12:49.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 13:45   #29
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

It could have been a different story for me - I could have been a lifelong BMW or Citroen enthusiast !!!

I was in my early 20s and had my own company - I was looking for something more responsible looking than my bright red XR3i, which I was told, was giving out the wrong signals, and meant I wasn't being taken seriously ?!

So I visited three dealerships, to look at a BMW 325i, a Citroen XM 3.0 and a Volvo 940.

I was almost frog marched out of the BMW dealership, along with a ringing 'Don't waste my f*****g time!' when I asked about a possible test drive of the 325i. I'll come back to that later...

I loved the Citroen XM (and still do). It was spectacular but they had a long waiting list for the top of the range 3.0 version, and I didn't want the turbo diesel which is the model they were trying to sell to everyone. I was working for a Volvo dealership as a QA consultant at the time, and when I mentioned that I was in the market for a new executive class car... it was almost embarrassing. They showed my a 940 2.0 GL that they had in the showroom - it was very comfy and I loved the boxy styling but it was gutless. They asked me to come back at the weekend, which I did, to find that they'd brought in a 960 3.0, a 940 2.0 Turbo and a 940 2.3 Turbo! All fuelled up and ready for me to take out on a test drive - unaccompanied, and 'for as long as I wanted'!

I ended up buying the 940 2.0 Turbo as it was great fun to drive and cheaper to insure than the others. I had a great discount, and they threw in as many extras as they could get on the car - mats, mud flaps, snow trays for the winter, radio and amplifier upgrade (remember that small graphic equaliser that fitted into the recess under the radio?), reflective bumper stripes, pinstripes, etc etc. My Dad traded his Mitsubishi Sigma 3.0 in for a new 960 3.0 shortly afterwards, and we've both been massive Volvo fans ever since. In fact that original 940/960 shape is still my favourite, and I'll probably buy another 960 in a few years time lol.

Going back to that BMW incident...

When Dad got his 960, we both went back to the BMW dealership - both dressed in our business suits with our new Volvos, and asked to see the MD. We told him of my experience and showed him our TWO brand new Volvos, and suggested that he had not only lost those two sales, but also any future sale as we would now never ever consider a BMW again. My contact in the Volvo garage later informed me that the BMW salesman had been sacked as soon as we drove away from their dealership - he'd gone to Volvo asking for a job - and was shown the door lol.

I've had many many Volvos over the years, and quite a few Citroens, but our family has never owned a BMW since.

Oh, and the 'more respectable' look certainly worked - I was working for P&O European Ferries within weeks - to find the MD was driving a 960 He was well impressed that a youngster like me was driving a Volvo

Last edited by RollingThunder; Feb 4th, 2021 at 13:59.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 18:23   #30
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I was in my early 20s and had my own company - I was looking for something more responsible looking than my bright red XR3i, which I was told, was giving out the wrong signals, and meant I wasn't being taken seriously ?!
I used to chair a local business networking group. Most of our members were SMEs and many were one-man bands. At one breakfast meeting I set a little exercise. Each table was to come up with the ideal car marque, the one that demonstrated "success without excess". The overwhelming result was Audi.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post: