Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why Volvo

Views : 2899

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2021, 15:18   #41
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Hopefully some pictures added relating to my previous post.
These are photos of old photos so not brilliant quality but you get the idea.

Cheers, Luke

Attachment 133506
Attachment 133507
Attachment 133508

Last edited by Discombobulated; Feb 16th, 2021 at 15:21.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 17:17   #42
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Hopefully some pictures added relating to my previous post.
These are photos of old photos so not brilliant quality but you get the idea.

Cheers, Luke

Attachment 133506
Attachment 133507
Attachment 133508
All three of those brought up this response :

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Never seen that before!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 17:37   #43
GaryB1969

I bought my first nearly new Volvo in 1997 (at the age of 27, my mates thought I was mad), it was a 940 LPT estate, manual in red, it was a Volvo demonstrator and had every option EXCEPT air-con or sunroof! I always liked the look of Volvo estates, they always looked like they'd been designed as an estate at the outset rather than starting as a saloon with a bit tacked on the back. I only had the 940 for 18 months before a company car was offered and I went down that route until 2019 when I took redundancy and went out and bought another Volvo demonstrator, this time a V90 D4 Momentum in black, 7 months old, 9,000 miles for £24K.

It's a lovely car, I use it for towing a trailer and a caravan (not at the same time.....) and the high kerb weight and D4 engine make it a good work-horse for towing.
GaryB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 17:39   #44
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Oh poo I thought that had gone too well.
I can see them perfectly, it’s a shame you lot can’t! 😂

73990EFE-3C62-481B-A5D9-56FBE16261F2.jpeg

82015883-6726-423E-90A3-082C61CB2C63.jpeg

A24654F2-84C4-4DE9-893A-A998B8162ADF.jpeg

If this is has done the same I’ll email them to someone to upload for me.

Anything more technological than a foot pump and I’m screwed!!

Cheers, Luke

Edit: I think it’s worked?
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discombobulated For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 17:42   #45
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Oh poo I thought that had gone too well.
I can see them perfectly, it’s a shame you lot can’t! 😂

Attachment 133510

Attachment 133511

Attachment 133512

If this is has done the same I’ll email them to someone to upload for me.

Anything more technological than a foot pump and I’m screwed!!

Cheers, Luke

Edit: I think it’s worked?
That would be the Origami 360 i take it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 18:20   #46
laing

Why A Volvo XC 60

wanted a suv and after checking out all the others the same size as a XC60 I preferred the look and the spec of the volvo over the others. Never had a volvo or any other top make car before wanted something to pull my caravan and did have a old mondeo the XC 60 fitted everything I wanted had been looking at them for around 2 year before being able to get one
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:26   #47
AndyJudge
Premier Member

My Uncle always had Volvo's once the Rover 3500 SD1 was discontinued & towed all over the country with them.

When dad was made redundant he decided on a cheap runaround car so purchased a 360 which although was quirky never let him down, started a lot more reliably than my car at the time (MG Maestro) & was comfy. He was sold on them from them

Moving on Dad traded in the 360 for a 740GLE Auto estate with all the trimmings & he loved the thing. When it came time to swap he went for a really nice condition 760GLT which was a One corporate director car with everything.

At the time I was running an Impreza Turbo before they'd really become popular ( 1997-1999) but with the other half becoming pregnant something a bit bigger & that we could both drive.

Local Dealer sorted me a great deal on a brand new S40 1.8 XS auto, I traded my Scooby & actually made £3.5k profit on the deal.

Ran the S40 for about 160k miles before we traded it for a C70 T5 GT convertible (for the wife) & an Impreza 1999 MY for me (family wagon/toy)

My job then changed in 2011 & I was covering a lot more miles so the Scooby went & a S60 D5 SE Lux Auto took it's place.

Ran the S60 for 60k miles & when my divorce was settled treated myself to the 1st of 2 XC60's. They munch the miles without any discomfort, are big enough for 4 adults to go camping to F1 races in Germany, have plenty of toys (my current one has pretty much everything) & are reliable.

I've got a trusted dealer that I use, they don't pressure me to upgrade whenever I visit for a service (unlike some other marques).
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 01:56   #48
volvocat

I got into Volvos when, in 2008, having decided we needed an estate car, the nice-to-drive but disappointing-in-almost-every-other-way Mondeo we had just tested was just not right for us.
We returned home from the Ford dealer realising we needed a rethink.
Stumbling around the internet, having already dismissed VW, Skoda, Vauxhall, Audi, BMW etc for various reasons, something about Volvo caught my eye and I realised I’d not considered it.
Which was perhaps strange because, although my parents were not car people at all (bus, train, taxi & bicycle for all my childhood transport!), we had friends with Volvos - mostly 145/245s etc - which I had long admired as standing out from the crowd - the people and their cars!
Plus, a visiting relative had once given me the lovely Dinky P1800 which rapidly became one of my favourites. Brand loyalty was establishing itself way too early...
Also, when our usual local taxi firm renewed their fleet of ageing Austin Cambridges and Humber Hawks in the early/mid ’70s, it was with Volvo 144s - (possibly 244s), which were always a treat to ride in!
Back to 2008, a visit to our local dealer resulted in a very satisfactory test drive (worlds apart from the Mondeo, despite sharing the same platform), a good deal on a new V70 2.4D SE Lux was offered and the order placed.
Three very happy motoring years later, when the lease was up, we went for an XC70 D5 SE Lux. What a difference! My only quibble with the V70 was its slightly lack-lustre 168bhp (I think) - adequate but not sparkling - the XC70’s twin-turbo 215bhp was fantastic - both these were manual, so a pretty fair comparison!
Since then, we’ve had an XC60 and three more XC70s of varying ages, specs and mileages - nothing wrong with any of them, just me spending too long on the ‘net and finding it hard to resist bargains & upgrades!
Along the way, I also got the Polestar habit, with five of the eight being so treated.
Finally got into the SPA series with the logical step of a V90CC D5 ex-Volvo car with huge spec (thanks to a favourable trade-in on our lovely rare Inscription XC70 and a little top-up finance...) but that only lasted six months because an identical-spec (albeit different colour) T6 succeeded in tempting me...
That was nearly two years ago and, thanks in part to Covid, is still pretty low mileage so looks like being with us for a good while yet - which suits me just fine! 😎
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post: