Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Welcome and painting

Views : 417

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 16:10   #1
VolvoNigel

Default Welcome and painting

Many thanks for the welcome to the forum. Having had several Volvos over the years, ranging from a 343, through several 240s and a 960, I'm looking for a 940 estate and have, today, looked at a scruffy, but honest-looking 1993 model. Basic 2.0 Turbo S model. Mechanically good, new MOT, but scruffy.

She does need a few bits of interior trim, but more seriously, a repsray of the bonnet and rood which are suffering from lacquer peel and discolouration of the dark grey paint.

I want to give the seller a decision, but can't get hold of a bodyshop at the weekend. So, wondering if anyone has any idea of the approx cost of preparing spraying the bonnet and roof only?

Also, can anyone recommend a good Volvo breaker in the Somerset area? I used to use Volvo Salvage in Bristol, but they've disappeared.

Many thanks.
VolvoNigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 18:49   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoNigel View Post
Many thanks for the welcome to the forum. Having had several Volvos over the years, ranging from a 343, through several 240s and a 960, I'm looking for a 940 estate and have, today, looked at a scruffy, but honest-looking 1993 model. Basic 2.0 Turbo S model. Mechanically good, new MOT, but scruffy.

She does need a few bits of interior trim, but more seriously, a repsray of the bonnet and rood which are suffering from lacquer peel and discolouration of the dark grey paint.

I want to give the seller a decision, but can't get hold of a bodyshop at the weekend. So, wondering if anyone has any idea of the approx cost of preparing spraying the bonnet and roof only?

Also, can anyone recommend a good Volvo breaker in the Somerset area? I used to use Volvo Salvage in Bristol, but they've disappeared.

Many thanks.
There's Pilsdon Autos down in Dorchester, i know that's Dorset but probably your closest, they often list stuff on ebay.
There are a few people on the forum who break cars, might also be worth a look. Depends what you're after really?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...40#post2707240

Have a look at that thread, not sure if the OP (Phil aka AllHailKingVolvo) is likely to be on this evening but he has similar paint problems and is either looking or has looked for prices so may be able to suggest an idea on price.

Bottom line is though, scruffy paintwork can be fixed at almost any point in time and won't stop the car running. If it's mechanically sound and the body is sound except for the lacquer/paint then i'd say go for it.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 19:13   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoNigel View Post

Many thanks.
A forum member has been quoted £500 to do the bonnet, front wings and scuttle on a metallic red 940.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 19:17   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

With the paint job it depends on the quality you’re looking for. For a retail job on two large panels you could easily be looking at £1,000. Paintwork is time-consuming and expensive. For a retail customer a body shop will also likely include blending into adjacent panels to avoid accusations that the new paint doesn’t match.

I encountered this problem when I wanted to replace a rusty wing on my 940. I was quoted £550 + VAT for the labour and paint and I had to source the wing myself. In the end i got a mate in the trade to spray the new wing stand-alone and then I fitted it myself after it was painted. I’m very happy with the result, but then he did have the technology to scan the adjacent paint and mix a very close colour match.
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 19:22   #5
VolvoNigel

Thanks. It's going to need (eventually) two replacement front door cards and maybe a tailgate card too. Also a rear seatbelt and one wheel trim - I might look at a nice set of alloys in the future if not too expensive. Mileometer has also been stuck for the past 2 years.

Other things are minor - a bit of re-stitching on the driver's seat and a very small split in the dash top which could probably be filled with coloured resin. I'm going to speak to a bodyshop after the weekend. I have seen another one advertised, in better condition, but a lot more money and in Cornwall which is impossible during the lockdown.
VolvoNigel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VolvoNigel For This Useful Post: