Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0% Finance Deal

Views : 1184

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2021, 11:40   #1
cts1975

Default 0% Finance Deal

Having missed out on the recent 'Volvo Event' 0% finance deals on approved used I was wondering how often these promotions happen?
Looking to purchase a VAT qualifying 2-3 year old S90 with a winter pack on 0% deal.
I'm not in any major rush as I'm not doing many miles at the moment due to C19.
cts1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 12:51   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I think such deals are on new cars?

Mind you, interest rates quite low at the moment so almost doesn't matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 13:41   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

It’s something that always amazes me that people would buy a new car on finance? Surely you are better to buy outright cash used?

I bought mine at 4 years of age for 1/3rd of the price from Volvo direct with a 1 year warrenty.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 14:35   #4
cts1975

The 'Volvo Event' that finished on the 31st Jan was on used cars offering 0% HP over 36 months with a 50% deposit. The majority of S90's currently for sale at Volvo dealers are ex lease company vehicles which due to C19 have not covered the mileage that was expected on the 3 year lease agreements, they are mainly VAT qualifying cars. As an example I was offered a 2018 68 plate S90 D4 in Pine Grey with 18k miles and winter pack at around the £15800.
After I have claimed the VAT back (it's being purchased for my business) the net cost would be £12166.00.
The deal was £7900 cash deposit and the balance of £7900 payable in 36 instalments of £220.
https://www.helstongarages.co.uk/vol...ekt-event-jan/

Last edited by cts1975; Feb 12th, 2021 at 14:39.
cts1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 14:43   #5
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It’s something that always amazes me that people would buy a new car on finance? Surely you are better to buy outright cash used?
I think it depends, some finance offers come with discounts. And if it is at 0% then you could invest your money and end up better off (not that much nowadays). Obviously, try for any benefit from a cash purchase.

My last new car wasn't Volvo but Jaguar (a year ago) and taking out some finance also gave an extra discount - can't remember how much but something like £3000. I just paid it off a month later as we were really a cash buyer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 16:04   #6
EssexExile
Master Member

Quote:

I bought mine at 4 years of age for 1/3rd of the price from Volvo direct with a 1 year warrenty.
Some people like new cars.
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 09:32   #7
concrete

If you can afford it, treat yourself to a new car, that gives people like me the chance to buy secondhand ones. 👍

When I bought my 2004 XC70 it was nearly half the price of when it was new. It was a high miler at 50,000 miles, but the guy had been driving from Ipswich to Scotland, so mostly motorway miles.

181,000 miles now and pretty much worthless, but I’m still enjoying ownership of it.
concrete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concrete For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 22:04   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
Some people like new cars.
I could afford a brand new XC90 but am not an idiot and have better things to pay the £30,000 you would lose in the first there’s years.

I can’t see why someone would prefer a car to a holiday home etc etc. Still each to their own I suppose.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 23:03   #9
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
I could afford a brand new XC90 but am not an idiot and have better things to pay the £30,000 you would lose in the first there’s years.

I can’t see why someone would prefer a car to a holiday home etc etc. Still each to their own I suppose.
The aspiration would be able to afford a nice car and a holiday home. Some can achieve this and others can’t.

For me, life was probably simpler when my choices were seriously restricted by a lack of money. At that time it was essential to appreciate what I had, such as a 10 year-old Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 GLi with 200k miles on the clock. Even at that age it was a great car.

When things got easier regarding money, there were more choices on offer, but having lots of choices can often be more stressful than having no choice. Having choice brings with it the risk of making the wrong choice, which can be quite worrying sometimes. So it’s a double-edged sword.

In short, unless you’re on the bread line, find some happiness in your life as it is and allow others to do the same.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 20:56   #10
Briggo

Quote:

Well someone has to be an idiot so you can save your dollars...
Briggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Briggo For This Useful Post: