Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to replace an XC90 with?

Views : 1926

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2019, 13:58   #1
sthodgson

Default What to replace an XC90 with?

Hello all,

It appears I am coming to the end of my patience with our XC90. We've had it for about 6 years - bought it at 117K, now on 145K, 2004 D5 SE. It is loved by the family but hasn't exactly been cheap to run or free of faults.

What has gone wrong from memory:

Handbrake, thermostat housing, cd player (twice), rear wiper, heating thermostat, suspension bushings, limp mode managed by feeding it diesel treatment every couple of months, most of the trim has fallen off, leaks in footwell, clock spring on steering wheel, battery, mice infestation, and I could go on.

I suppose a lot of this is general wear and tear, but it's getting to a point where we might need to move it on. I have spent the last few days exploring the wonderful and colourful rabbit hole that where the bunnies-of-car-buying live; leasing, PCP, bank loans, diesel/petrol, reliability, etc, etc. It's a fun place to go if you don't have much else to do with your life.

Looking for a high driving position, preferably automatic, cheap to run (not fast) and a good fit for a family of 5. 7 seats desirable but not essential. Can't afford a new Volvo - not sure who can, but well done to those that can - what's it like on the other side?

Wash out my mouth, but Skoda and SEAT do some interesting options, but then I read about the major engineering issues they have with engines and the like, and get scared.

So, is my XC90 experience typical or are they better than that? Are XC60s a better bet for a smoother financial ride?

Leasing looks interesting as minimal maintenance and can get dealer to fix if goes wrong.

Many thanks!
sthodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 15:43   #2
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthodgson View Post
Hello all,

It appears I am coming to the end of my patience with our XC90. We've had it for about 6 years - bought it at 117K, now on 145K, 2004 D5 SE. It is loved by the family but hasn't exactly been cheap to run or free of faults.

What has gone wrong from memory:

Handbrake, thermostat housing, cd player (twice), rear wiper, heating thermostat, suspension bushings, limp mode managed by feeding it diesel treatment every couple of months, most of the trim has fallen off, leaks in footwell, clock spring on steering wheel, battery, mice infestation, and I could go on.

I suppose a lot of this is general wear and tear, but it's getting to a point where we might need to move it on. I have spent the last few days exploring the wonderful and colourful rabbit hole that where the bunnies-of-car-buying live; leasing, PCP, bank loans, diesel/petrol, reliability, etc, etc. It's a fun place to go if you don't have much else to do with your life.

Looking for a high driving position, preferably automatic, cheap to run (not fast) and a good fit for a family of 5. 7 seats desirable but not essential. Can't afford a new Volvo - not sure who can, but well done to those that can - what's it like on the other side?

Wash out my mouth, but Skoda and SEAT do some interesting options, but then I read about the major engineering issues they have with engines and the like, and get scared.

So, is my XC90 experience typical or are they better than that? Are XC60s a better bet for a smoother financial ride?

Leasing looks interesting as minimal maintenance and can get dealer to fix if goes wrong.

Many thanks!
Interesting challenge. I'll be in a vaguely similar position in 18 months / two years when it's time to move on my Lexus GS for something that will fit a family of five including three children in child seats. I already own an XC90 which is day-to-day used by my wife but ideally both cars should be up to the task of carrying the whole family.

A lot depends on your budget but in the seven seater SUV segment I'd avoid Land Rover Discoverys on the basis that Land Rovers break down constantly. Many interesting (non-MPV) cars can be found under £10K, including Audi Q7s, the Mercedes-Benz GL class, Mitsubishi Shoguns, Toyota Land Cruisers, Subaru Tribecas, and my current personal favourite, the Jeep Commander, which is essentially a re-bodied Grand Cherokee but with the same Mercedes engine and proven mechanicals.

There are smaller seven seaters such as Mitsubishi Outlander or Nissan Squashqui +2 or whatever it's called.

Best of luck with your search and let us know how you get on.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 16:01   #3
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Your big issue will always be, as with any pre-owned car (if thats what you settle for) .... what you get (gem or dog) is totally reliant on the previous owners attitude to care and maintenance .... even the "most reliable" cars can be dogs depending on the previous owners attitude and approach.

I don't believe all XC90's and your experience is typical ... but its clear, and often said in these forums, an XC90 is neither a cheap car to own nor maintain.

Hope you have just been unlucky, plus I would agree with Odysseus ... give LR a wide berth unless you happen to own a LR dealership or are best chums with your local AA/RAC recovery driver (other services are available.)

TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 16:25   #4
sthodgson

Thanks for the replies - some interesting options to look at.

I am perhaps the most unlucky car owner there is. Alternatively I believe that even car breaks down and cost the earth to run. I am mechanically sympathetic, almost to a OCD level. I never ride the clutch, neutral at lights, handbrake on, gentle when cold, let them cool down a bit after a long run, bang on with services, top up the oil, and the buggers stiil cost me a fortune.
sthodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 18:47   #5
reggit
Premier Member

When I was considering an SUV, the choice was XC90 or VW Touareg- although the latter only had 5 seats. In the end, I decided i didn’t really need a bigger car and stuck with my V70
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 21:22   #6
john langrick
Master Member

Hi

for what it is worth, I have had similar expense on typical problems, but in retrospect I like the car. Mine is my2003. I accept that maintenance will be high on such an old car., but if problems are sorted systematically, one hopes that that specific problem are resolved for a few years, for example.. If you replace wheel bearings. Use genuine volvo, then that part is good as new

My suggestion would be to replace with a later, lower mileage xc90, but do your homework and make sure it has been looked after. Look at the service history and the mot history.

That would be my choice, but years are running out on me... Maybe my last car....

And you meet such a nice class of people on this forum....

Cheers john l
john langrick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 00:11   #7
GSTheo119
XC90 tinkerer

For reliability and build quality I always think you are best with a Japanese car. a 4 year old Honda CR-V for instance. only 5 seats but a smooth ride and not too many big bills hopefully. Or the Koreans, Santa Fe or Sorrento. 7 seats and 7 year warranties on newer ones! Whoever makes it all these big cars are very complex and can bite you big time. Leasing/buying new is the only true peace of mind option but always thought it a rather joyless road to go down. Personally I love keeping my 16 year old XC90 ticking over.
GSTheo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 10:50   #8
mjg1966

I think you will find it a hard decision and there is no RIGHT answer and your original decision to purchase an XC90 was a good one. I don't think there is a car out there as well designed inside. Plenty of room, plenty of storage options - a good engine. Economical for its size and weight and VERY safe.

ALL cars are a set of many components each of which could fail - it's the frequency of this failure that determines a cars reliability. Volvo parts are well made. Volvo have a good reputation in the haulage and marine side of things.

Unless you want a change in general I would be finding myself a good used, well looked after, well documented, 'honest' XC90.

Any car can have the issues you have described - and I have owned a few.

Good luck in the decision making process and remember there is no RIGHT answer.
mjg1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 19:38   #9
okedave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthodgson View Post

As a VAG owner myself (SEAT Exeo), I would say they make fantastic cars, but if you go for a second hand one DO NOT buy one that has had the emissions update done to the engine. That has caused all the engineering issues youve heard about and they refuse to put it right.
okedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 19:49   #10
Rentagas
Swedish Chef

The main reason I would change my XC90 is for a Euro 6 car its going to be an extra £25 to take my car into London and then out a day later-in addition to the congestion charge. If I could justify the expense I guess I'd buy a V90 or XC90 T8
Rentagas is offline   Reply With Quote