Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SMB - my daily driver

Views : 3610

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2013, 19:40   #11
Mike1967
Premier Member

But PLEASE NO electric fans Ian lol ......... good looking car , they do look nice in white . Although the best 240 was of course "BAY" ... closely followed by TGN the lpg !
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 19:48   #12
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1967 View Post
But PLEASE NO electric fans Ian lol ......... good looking car , they do look nice in white . Although the best 240 was of course "BAY" ... closely followed by TGN the lpg !
TGN lives on!

Saw the old girl on ebay about 6 months ago or so. Reconfigured to duel fuel - petrol tank installed with LPG tank retained in boot. Slightly lowered suspension but nothing too radical. Looked as though someone had done a lot of work and the car looked very good. Think it went for over 1K.
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 19:53   #13
Mike1967
Premier Member

remember being out of work with loads of time on my hands .... rebuilt the drivers seat on bay and tgn , bloody hard work but what a difference . Also polished both to within an inch of their lives lol .
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 20:13   #14
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1967 View Post
Also polished both to within an inch of their lives lol .
Best to go to the Esso garage car wash every 4 months and use the time saved to watch TV and drink beer I reckon
The Following User Says Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 11:34   #15
Velorum
VOC Member

Removed the headlamp wipers and associated gubins last weekend. A particularly fiddly job and by the end my loathing of these 'added as an afterthought' features has grown considerably. They, the motors, headlamp mounted rests and bits of pipe now sit in a cardboard box in the garage - which is the best place for them in my opinion. Ah, there - that feels better!

I need to now make up some small blanking plates for the holes that the shafts poked through. I have left the rubber bungs in there for the time being. I had in mind a couple of thin alloy plates that would fit over the holes and be painted white to match everything else - I think they would be hardly noticeable. Will sort some pics out once Ive done this.

The awful weather is hampering my efforts to get a number of external jobs done at the moment. Its tipping down at the moment! Well, I suppose it will wash away some of the salt that put down earlier in the week. I am desperate to get at the rear arches so that I can clean behind, waxoil, rub the surface rust down and repaint them. Oh well, the weather has got to get better sooner or later!

In the meantime I am trying to tidy up and do a few other jobs inside such as removing the radio. My biggest frustration at the moment is I am having to post wanted ads for various bits of internal trim - I had many of these parts from cars that I had broken etc in a large cardboard box which I can now not find having moved house twice since I last saw it. I suspect that it had been thrown out by mistake.

Oh well, these things are sent to try us.

A nice stainless steel aerial hole blanking plate dropped through the letter box this morning - at least I can go and fit that!

Onwards!

Old Mar 16th, 2013, 14:37   #16
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Regarding seized spark plugs - are they more likely to free when hot or cold?

In the meantime you could give them a good soak in penetrating fluid - Plus-gas or similar, or diesel is said to work well. Tightening seized threads a fraction before trying to unscrew is said to be a good way of getting some initial movement.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2013, 18:00   #17
Velorum
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Regarding seized spark plugs - are they more likely to free when hot or cold?

In the meantime you could give them a good soak in penetrating fluid - Plus-gas or similar, or diesel is said to work well. Tightening seized threads a fraction before trying to unscrew is said to be a good way of getting some initial movement.
Thanks Clifford - I will give them a good soaking as it comes time for the mechanic to try and get them out
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 15:15   #18
Velorum
VOC Member

Well, due to the weather I have had to content myself with some internal work this morning

First of all I removed the radio. For some reason I find hard to explain I do not like built in radio's in cars. Fortunately the radio can be removed without too much hassle - I think that this would be really difficult with more modern cars as the radio is so prominent and such an integral part of dash - not sure how you would blank it off. Anyway, I posted a wanted ad for an upper cubby hole but as nothing was forthcoming as yet decided on a DIY blanking plate. I removed the radio but kept the surround. A blanking plate was fabricated from some card, covered with self adhesive fake leather PVC and stuck on with double sided tape. A small Volvo enamel badge in the center breaks up what would otherwise be too big an expanse of black

Im not 100% happy with this as the card is too floppy - some hardboard or equally stiff material would be better - it will do for the time being and I will knock something better up later in the year

The holes left in the rear door were covered up in a similar manner. Hardly noticeable

The holes in the front doors were slightly more problematic as its not possible to use double sided tape on the fabric door card. These blanking plates are held on with velcro. Again, Im not totally happy with these as they gradually 'un-velcro' themselves and fall off. I think that a firmer plate that perhaps extended right to the front of the door just behind the top hinge would look better. These could be fixed with small self tapping screws into the hardboard of the door card - of the screws were countersunk then a small circle of PVC would cover them up

This stainless steel plate takes care of the hole left by the rear wing aerial

Oddly enough, despite the fact I dont like fitted radios I do like to listen to music now and then. This cheap radio/cd player is good enough for what I want. The radio reception is surprisingly good - not much worse than the fitted radio in fact. It eats batteries when playing CD though - I will buy one of those small inverters that run off the cigarette lighter socket soon and this will be resolved

One other small job was to remove the seat belt warning lights and clicker. Very simple - just remove the bulbs from the dash and the centre consul above the rear ashtray and all is quiet. A spare dash blanking plate replaces the original warning lamp

I think the red warning light in the middle is something to do with the horribly complicated car alarm that has been fitted at some point. This seems to be wired into the ignition and lights and god knows what else. For peace of mind I am going to get an auto electrician to remove this

Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velorum For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 17:04   #19
Velorum
VOC Member

At long last the snow, rain and sub zero temperatures have stopped long enough to allow me to get some work done! The sun even shone for a while - though its getting much colder now.

What a relief to get the rear arches done. The worst job was getting the accumulated muck out from behind the lip. Once I'd done this it didnt take long to rub the outsides down. I decided to paint them with Hammerite smooth satin. I have some white Hammerite which is a very good match for the original paintwork but I prefer this part of the arch in black.

You will see by the above picture that I have painted the wheels and added those little chrome hubcaps with a 'V' on.

I painted them with gloss black Hammerite. The hub caps are new - bought from Scandcar over the net. They arrived in about 3 days. I very nearly bought some chrome nuts but there is something about painted standard nuts that I like (not sure why)

Anyway, I am happy with the result

Cheers
Ian
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 21:27   #20
Yaxley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson View Post
The holes in the front doors were slightly more problematic as its not possible to use double sided tape on the fabric door card. These blanking plates are held on with velcro. Again, Im not totally happy with these as they gradually 'un-velcro' themselves and fall off. I think that a firmer plate that perhaps extended right to the front of the door just behind the top hinge would look better. These could be fixed with small self tapping screws into the hardboard of the door card - of the screws were countersunk then a small circle of PVC would cover them up

Ian
Or try these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/snap-rivets-10-pack-1900
Yaxley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yaxley For This Useful Post: