Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

For Anyone With an Annoying / Noisy Tailgate!

Views : 3368

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 14:31   #1
taylorc

Default For Anyone With an Annoying / Noisy Tailgate!

After yet another trip to the dealer (it's now at the point where the receptionist knows me by name!) for them to take another look at the annoyingly noisy tailgate they have finally sorted it.
Turns out the the locking mechanism was very dry and was causing the noise when it was engaged, they have now packed it with grease and also fitted some wear strip/ tape to cushion the plastic outer........and now silence is golden! For the first time in ages the cabin was actually a nice place to sit, whilst there they also adjusted the headlights as I was constantly being flashed whilst out at night.

Hopefully that's the last visit.......well until service time anyway!

Previous MY13 XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav

Previous...Audi S3 DSG, Ford Focus ST3, Ford Focus ST170
taylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorc For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 17:04   #2
XCeed

I spent hours being driven around on my back in the boot looking for the annoying rattle that was driving me mad. No success at all and then, quite by chance, I decided to lubricate the lock mechanism with WD40. Voila! Rattle sorted and it's never returned...
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 22:25   #3
Flux
Premier Member

Yes, happened on my previous volvo car and had only had it a week from new before the squeaking and rattling started. Took it back to the dealer and they put some grease on the locking mechanism and hey presto....at least we will all know what to do now and save the inconvenience of a trip to the dealer When the squeaking starts.
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 20:52   #4
Arianne
Premier Member

Had it on our XC60 from collection. Local dealer greased it and also found some loose wheel bolts rolling around in the boot well. Relief!

Arianne
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 12:21   #5
SuperCholdi

Thought I'd +1 this as the thread is a bit old.

Same thing for me; a rattle crept in and slowly got worse and worse to the point where it was driving me insane. Finally spent an afternoon driving around with the boot empty and the rear seats folded, trying to determine where it was coming from. Tore the boot apart looking for loose things, even crawled underneath, nothing.

In desperation googled 'XC60 boot rattle' and found this thread. Quick squirt of WD40 and the rattle is gone!
SuperCholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 08:06   #6
St James

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
After yet another trip to the dealer (it's now at the point where the receptionist knows me by name!) for them to take another look at the annoyingly noisy tailgate they have finally sorted it.
Turns out the the locking mechanism was very dry and was causing the noise when it was engaged, they have now packed it with grease and also fitted some wear strip/ tape to cushion the plastic outer........and now silence is golden! For the first time in ages the cabin was actually a nice place to sit, whilst there they also adjusted the headlights as I was constantly being flashed whilst out at night.

Hopefully that's the last visit.......well until service time anyway!
Weird.
I had the exact same headlight issue recently which was fixed by Volvo too.
Mine were way above standard height apparently......it got to the point where I wasn't just being flashed but people were actually putting their lights on full in anger at mine, which made it dangerous!
2010 (10) Skoda Octavia vRS CR170 DSG
St James is offline   Reply With Quote