Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote key fob

Views : 360

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 09:08   #1
steve788

Default Remote key fob

Hi. I’ve had an offer to program a remote key fob if I can source a spare containing the programmable electronic components. Obviously that wouldn’t give me a new ignition key as that part would also need to be cut. Has anyone been through this process and can give me any tips and pointers? Thanks.
steve788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 12:07   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

There are two components:

The passive immobiliser chip, that contains a serial number.
This is used only for the immobiliser, and can only be paired with the car by a dealer. All keys must be present

The remote control for the central locking. Powered by the battery in the fob. The remote control receiver is the UEM (rear view mirror).
I am unsure if a new key remote can be added to the existing remotes.

But as the immobiliser has to be done by a dealer, they also do the central locking remote control at the same time
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 12:14   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

You need a new, unused key. The key itself cannot be programmed/re-programmed but is supplied from the manufacturer with a fixed identity. It is that identity which is programmed into the vehicle, allowing it to be recognised.

I also believe that you require the key's 'secret' (supplied with the purchase of a new key), not to mention a live (connected to Volvo Sweden) VIDA instance to do this. If you buy any old second hand key from eBay you won't have this PIN code for the key. I suspect that even if you did, programming is one time only - if that key had ever been associated with another vehicle then it couldn't be reused with another.

Probably best just to have a Volvo dealer do it and suck up the cost.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 13:08   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^^ what he said and would just emphasise that you need the documentation that comes with a brand new, virgin key. It is not possible to program the keys by "reading" them as with Land Rover, Jag etc.

Second hand, used keys are no use whatsoever.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 13:26   #5
Uksojourn

Just back from Dealer for my V70 remote 5 button. £212 for remote, software and labour (I still have the spare blade). needed the car and both key remotes.
I had tried the indy route with a ebay special. was told by all that they would not even attempt it. Must be Volvo they all said. Even Timpsons who now do remotes said Volvo only.
Uksojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uksojourn For This Useful Post: