Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil level

Views : 1570

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 18:46   #1
Geordiesteve

Default Oil level

Guys thoughts please.
I posted a while back as my 19 reg V90 R design got recovered due to high oil level. They said it was too full. Ever since then it's been 3/4 full, which I found stamrange as surely I should be able to have it sat at full until it depletes naturally.
I've now took it back into the dealer as its went from 3/4 back to full. This cannot be right surely?
Geordiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 20:57   #2
James77

No it's not good that's a fair bit of oil dilution.

What is your driving style? Advice is you need to do fairly regular 30 odd minute trips at 70 to allow a full regen. It's partial regen thatcauses the blowback.

Service manager at my dealership says they've got diesel cars in regularly for the problem and Volvo uk is covering under warranty. They need a permanent fix it's not on. The volvo system appears too sensitive.

My mother's RR informs you a regen is required so you can manage it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2020, 21:13   #3
Geordiesteve

Daily commute about 11 mile 30 minutes mainly B roads so typically 30 - 40.
Will get a run at 70 but only once a week or so.
Is there anything I should be stipulating when it's in. Seen that this is the 2nd time now for the same issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
No it's not good that's a fair bit of oil dilution.

What is your driving style? Advice is you need to do fairly regular 30 odd minute trips at 70 to allow a full regen. It's partial regen thatcauses the blowback.

Service manager at my dealership says they've got diesel cars in regularly for the problem and Volvo uk is covering under warranty. They need a permanent fix it's not on. The volvo system appears too sensitive.

My mother's RR informs you a regen is required so you can manage it.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 06:22   #4
volvo for ever
Premier Member

Normal oil quantity is 5.2litres if message come up overfilled then they renew oil /filter and reduce oil by 0.5 litres this should sort out any issues as long as they have done correct process
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 12:45   #5
Steve XC60
Structural member

Lots of discussion on this issue here which you may find useful:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296166

Seems that service engineers are only 3/4 filling the oil and not resetting the gauge so as to allow for a few failed regens between each service before the oil overfill warning is triggered.

I trust this is just a short term fix as it does not seem like a sensible long term approach....

I think Volvo should update the software to show a light on the dash when a regen is happening. Ideally they would go one step further and allow the driver to delay or schedule a regen for when they are on a journey which will allow the regen to run through fully.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 13:11   #6
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Daily commute about 11 mile 30 minutes mainly B roads so typically 30 - 40.
Did the dealer recommend a diesel based on that commute?
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 18:38   #7
Geordiesteve

Got the car back. Service dept said its been fully checked and no issues. Pretty much as you said.
The lady said Volvo have instructs them to fill 3/4 which allows for any regeneration.
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 19:13   #8
Chief inspector
Master Member

Mine was in for this, I was told it wasn’t overfilled and they recalibrated it.....

Its saying overfilled again!
Old Mar 3rd, 2020, 20:41   #9
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
Got the car back. Service dept said its been fully checked and no issues. Pretty much as you said.
The lady said Volvo have instructs them to fill 3/4 which allows for any regeneration.
I would be worried if the engine oil of my car would get mixed with up to 25% of fuel.
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 12:38   #10
BroadwayBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
I would be worried if the engine oil of my car would get mixed with up to 25% of fuel.
As would I. Very much so.

But having come from a 2008 Jag XF I`ve read a lot on this problem. It`s very commen with them too. But my pennyworth is, in the days of a dipstick (which mu Jag had) you never filled it to the top mark anyway. It was always 'in between low and high' was sufficient. This may well be the case here but I know what you are saying.
I presume a 3/4 full oil level is sufficient or Volvo could be looking at a lot of claims in the future.

Manufacturers should never have done away with the dipstick. It was one of the best 'early warnings' you could get on a derv car.