Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 - classic insurance

Views : 1000

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 18:45   #1
joewilliams

Default 240 - classic insurance

I'm looking for quotes on my newly aquired 1985 240GLE.

I've had a Mercedes 190E insured on a classic policy with Allianz Cornhill, and I was planning to transfer the 240 onto this policy.

However, their computer says that the 240 is not a classic, therefore I can't cover it. They offered to insure me on a standard policy for £850; I told them politely to go away.

I've got a quote for a normal policy for £330, but was expecting lower - the Merc was £240. Any tips on companies to try for a classic policy?
joewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 18:57   #2
JIM C
Forum Support Team

http://www.insurancewide.com/quotati...FQ83gQodvxRb_Q

I have just had a quote of £130 from the above company for a 240 GLT saloon.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 23:29   #3
cywprof

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewilliams View Post

I've had a Mercedes 190E insured on a classic policy with Allianz Cornhill, and I was planning to transfer the 240 onto this policy.

However, their computer says that the 240 is not a classic, therefore I can't cover it. They offered to insure me on a standard policy for £850; I told them politely to go away.

I've got a quote for a normal policy for £330, but was expecting lower - the Merc was £240. Any tips on companies to try for a classic policy?
Hi Joe,
some Insurance companies think that you are there to serve them, pay premiums & take what they hand out. Not true. Had a similar near rejection from my insurance carrier. I had to remind the agent that I had 4 vehicles insured with his company. Had as many as 6 vehicles covered @ one time. Had policies with him on 2 residences. Had been with his brokerage for years. I did not take well to the suggestion that I take my business elsewhere for my newly aquired 1980 262C Bertone Coupe. I called a compnay that he suggested. Insurance only available if the car became a trailer queen & only used weekends. To quote the agent, "...to take your spouse out on a special occasion".
Get serious! I bought a Volvo to drive, as Volvo's Latin motto states: "I roll".

I pressured my agent by offering to cancel all my business with him. I wasn't a happy camper. I had provided a written evaluation for the 262C from arguably the top Volvo dealership in the country. Eventually I won out. No way I serve the insurance company. It's a poor salesman that blames the computer for rejecting you! In this country insurance agents are brokers & it's their job to find you the best coverage @ the best rates. Or you shop around. Sometimes you have to shout & holler to obtain the service that you deserve!

A 1985 245GLE is a great car. Enjoy. Good luck with your car & agent.
regards,
Bill
cywprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 00:03   #4
cywprof

Cool post script Insurance coverage

Hi again Joe,

the irony is that the insurance broker that didn't want to cover my 262C Bertone Coupe, puts out a great "Car Classics" calender that they send to their clients every new year (complementary copy).

2008 features a 1931 Rolls Royce Phantom II for January. An interestingly enough, a 1959 Ford Thunderbird Convertible (August).
I owned a 1959 T Bird. Wonder if the agent would have given me hassles if I still had it?

Stand your ground!
cywprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:49   #5
malcolmk
VOC Member

at the risk of being lynched, i am a broker, i don`t take offence at the slagging, as i only have clients that are recommended by other client , about 4,000 do not advertise anymore, but things have changed for us brokers and since the MIB and FSA intervention, we have our hands tied, and often what insurance company`s software says goes , no humans anymore sad but it`s life now , occasionally we can get to speak to someone with a brain and all goes well, i think it will return to the good old days, just waiting for now .
malcolmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:06   #6
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Ins

Quote:

Have you tried Footnan James ?
I have my 72 164 and my 89 749 GLE ins with them ,
As long as you have more than one car in use there was no problem .
The 740 is also on a classic policy.
Also try Chris Nott
Hope this helps
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:17   #7
joewilliams

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

We've continued shopping around and have managed to get a quote for £150 - far more sensible!

Funnily enough, Lancaster called me back this morning to ask if I was interested in taking their offer of £850. They've been told to shove it
joewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:54   #8
James_N
VOC Member

Interesting topic, me being only 23, its a fight to get the cheapest quotes.

I just tried lancaster to see what they could offer. £696 TPFT!!

Footman James sounded good, but they dont insure under 25's on a classic policy, and mileage has to be under 6,000? weird.

I'll stick to Adrian flux at just over £300 then!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 13:08   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:

Just renewed the insurance for the MRS (23 years old) with them. 240 2ltr estate 10,000 miles a year fully comp 5 years no claims protected only £224

Does not make sense. Try an insurace search engine
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 13:25   #10
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Try searching for modified car insurance. It ends up being a nightmare.