Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Volvo collision warning system

Views : 1522

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:50   #11
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

I'm still not sure about this system, great if it is foolproof. ALB were a great advance in car safety but now people are braking later and harder because they know it will kick in if needed.
Like John says, we have all been there at some point, for whatever reason.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:04   #12
morsing
Premier Member

Most people already tailgate even at high speeds. This is just going to make it worse. Just like ABS and airbags before it. Just my opinion. Train people to be safety aware and drive safely first, then you can start adding safety devices.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:05   #13
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
Shouldn't the first step be to demand proper driver training a requirement for the driving test?
That is only whats needed, or at the very least common sense and for owners to understand how the system in the cars actually work. I would say some hefty insurance discounts etc should be offered for those who pass the RoSPA and IAM courses as further driver training (in reality you don't get any insurance discounts which is a shame), this would encourage drivers to take another step towards 'improving' themselves and learning new skills.

From a manufacturers perspective, they have to improve existsing systems/models and introduce new technologies to the market continue to show investment in their products, a step forward along with technology and compete in the market place all at the same time ......

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 14:25   #14
bunnysquasher
3rd Volvo and counting

What happens when your heading down the motorway at 70ish and a carrier bag wafts in front of your car, is it gonna screech to a halt and cause a crash?

there must be situations where the best thing for you to do is to drive into something nice and soft (bush perhaps) in order to avoid more dangerous crashes with other cars etc. I know that i have been driven off the road before by some nutter!

Last edited by bunnysquasher; Jan 30th, 2008 at 14:29.
bunnysquasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 14:30   #15
GMcL
0's and 1's

I can see the point of BLIS, blind spots do exist and anything to help in that area is great.
I always thought the job of going forward and monitoring what was going on in front of the car was down to the driver. If I can't see a donkey on the road in front of me (as in the advert) then I think it time to hang up the keys before I kill someone.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 14:37   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

And there was me thinking that concentrating on what you do, keeping a reasonable distance and looking twice were keys to help drive safer...

Have to write a program for my computer to drive for me..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 18:48   #17
nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
Most people already tailgate even at high speeds. This is just going to make it worse. Just like ABS and airbags before it. Just my opinion. Train people to be safety aware and drive safely first, then you can start adding safety devices.
x2
The drivers behaviour needs to be improved first.
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 19:00   #18
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Does Bliss work?, there seems to be a lot of cars on fortcourts with Bliss, but the feed back I've had is its not great, doesn't work very well in fog, snow, rain etc but isn't this when you need a system like Bliss to be working at its best, when visability is low.

Therefore is it the same with Active Crusie / Collision Warning System, will it work fully in bad weather, I'd want Collision Warning System to work at 100% in fog etc.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 20:53   #19
bob13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie View Post
Does Bliss work?, there seems to be a lot of cars on fortcourts with Bliss, but the feed back I've had is its not great, doesn't work very well in fog, snow, rain etc but isn't this when you need a system like Bliss to be working at its best, when visability is low.

Therefore is it the same with Active Crusie / Collision Warning System, will it work fully in bad weather, I'd want Collision Warning System to work at 100% in fog etc.
I cant comment on the bliss system or any other to be honest as i have never driven a car with these systems on. However do you remember when Mercedes were testing there collision system a few years back in front of the media. Think it was in fog and it didn't work, the car went straight into the back of the other test car.

I think in time when these system have been perfected, tested in the real world by real people, not test drivers. Then they will be a good 'driving aid', but a driving 'aid' none the less. Not a replacement for driver awareness at this time.

I am sure most of you remember when ABS first came out and how wonderful it was. The first car I ever had with ABS, the ABS was powered by belts off the drive shafts, not like today with electonic sensors etc. And lets face ABS is only a safety device if you know what to do if it kicks in, i.e. you can still turn, it is not the wonderful stopping aid they said it was, but a good selling point at the time.

And that is what I think these systems are at the moment, something for the salesman to sell. A system you would be silly not to have. ABS has come a long way since then what with traction control etc. ABS works far better now, ABS has got me around a few things that have jumped out in front of me, and the system works well.

Once they have gone past the 'rubber belt driven' of this anti collision systems maybe it could be relied on more, but me for one will still be looking out that front windscreen to see what is coming, or at least so I can brace myself.

Cheers Bob....

www.southwalesvolvos.com
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 00:34   #20
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I believe when Mercedes flagshipped their system to the press the driver in the second - test - car forgot to turn the system on, hence it drove into the car in front..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote