Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is £2175 to much for a 97 V70 2.5TDi

Views : 1402

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 13:58   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

At the end of the day, if he wants to sell the car, he will have to MOT it. If not now, then at the time of the sale.

Cheapest car of its kind locally? No problem - go 20 beyond and you'll find other better deals.
Let him eat his car for lunch!!
You have money to spend... You have the power..

Des. . . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 14:02   #12
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

As previous, I'd be very wary about a dealer not offering an MOT on a car he was selling. Local 'cheap car' dealer here, from whom I got my son's Focus, told me that he would routinely MOT every car he sold, so it came with a full 12 months cert, and that he would not do the MOT himself, but get it done at the local Ford main dealers, so there could be no question of it being a dodgy 'self done' MOT.
With my son's Focus, the deal was that once I had agreed to the purchase in principle and paid nominal deposit, then the dealer would send the car for MOT, and then get any faults and advisories fixed before I took delivery.
In the even of a major too expensive fault he'd contact me and return the deposit.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 17:52   #13
JIM C
Forum Support Team

There is no way I would buy a car from a dealer at that type of money without a decent MOT. I would feel that the car may or may not have some hidden fault. Also is the car to be serviced with a warrenty etc.
Is there anything else on the Autotrader site.
Best of luck
Jim
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 21:13   #14
peterincambs

I am going to disagree slightly with what has been said so far on this and offer a slightly different perspective - as some of you know, I sell quite a few Volvos on ebay so I think that I do know the market pretty well...
£2175 is dirt-cheap for a V70 TDI; I PAID £3500 for a TDI of the same age at auction recently - admittedly it was 108K not 195k and an auto, but it was also £1400 more and there were two other traders chasing it. Book trade price for a base TDI according to CAP is around £2500, so basically you are buying the car at trade money..
Obviously I don't know what type of trader it is that is offering the car, but if most of his stock is later/dearer stuff then it may be a car that he has taken as a trade-in, and is offering to you as an alternative to sending it to auction; I can tell you that if the car is presentable and has history then, around here at least, it would sell for £2175 at auction no difficulty at all - cos I'd buy it!!!!
As far as I know, there is no legal obligation on a trader to tell you the previous owners name and address - and I personally would not give thast informaton to someone unlsss I'd met them because it does pose certain risks for ther security of the car; stuff that I don't really want to talk about on a public forum!! There is, though, one thing you could possibly do to find out if the car has actually failed an Mot elsewhere. Get the reg number and the V5 document number from the seller - tell him that you want them for an HPI check. Then, if you key those into the Vehicle Inspectorate website's Mot checking facility at www.motinfo.gov.uk you'll get the cars whole Mot test history - including if it has been for a test somewhere recently and failed.
Other than that, if you suspect from what I have said that it could simply be a part-ex being cleared, I'd be inclined to have a look at the car with a knowledgeable friend. At this money you can expect to have to do some work/spend some cash on the car, but I'd nornmally expect a car like this to sell for around £3,000-£3,200 (mine will be up for £4295 but that includes five new injectors that cost me nearly £400), so you have got something in the bank to cover unexpecteds..
Peter
peterincambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 23:34   #15
badm88n

peterincambs thanks for sharing the link to the Vehicle Inspectorate website's Mot checking facility at www.motinfo.gov.uk
Just used it to check the previous MOTs on my car, it even lists the advisory notes issued and reasons for refusal

Just to give you an idea only a month ago I paid £3800 for my '97 V70 Tdi Auto, 80k, one owner, fsh, full leather and all the extras. The one you mention is above average miles and without an MOT, I would start low at £1500 but not go above £1800. Manuals are more desirable and fetch better money but well looked after low mileage ones are harder to find (I know i tried).
badm88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 00:45   #16
Cara

Thanks for the replies and advice.....I was going to go and see it but not when he's not willing to mot it, I'm not wasting my time or his.

Peterincamb....I undstand what you say too, but you being in trade you will know the trick's and also how to "talk" to these people, unfortunately I dont, well not very well, I get nervous with them.

So I am better keeping away from them..

PS....I emailed him and asked why he wouldnt mot it and that what would he do with come Feb and if he still had and it ran out, but he hasnt replied yet, and to be honest I somehow dont think he will, I think he is just one of these unscrupulous dealer's that people should probably just be keet clear of.

Last edited by Cara; Jan 31st, 2008 at 00:49.
Cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 00:56   #17
Cara

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedfrog View Post
Hi,

What are the miles and does it have service history? If it has 150k or less I should say its a good price, although I would want 12 months MOT with it if I was getting it from a dealer.

All the best,
Ant.

197k fsh if you click this link>> http://www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buy...e_your_car.jsp

and then click on the whatcar valuation, you'll get a reasonable idea of the value.

FF....I put in the details of it and got this, I take it though thats a car in a good mot'able roadworthy state, which this may well be, he might know this (or have a good idea) but I or another propective buyer doesnt.

Dealer £3,995

Private £3,245

Part Ex £2,995

Cost New £23,880

2461 140 No data 12 Diesel 44.1
Cara is offline   Reply With Quote