Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6l, 180 Hp

Views : 1058

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 18:41   #1
nano

Default 1.6l, 180 Hp

I have heard that Volvo is going to launch a new engine with only 1.6L and 180 HP (132 KW) for the MY2009 models S60 and S40. Is that true?
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 21:35   #2
ovlov25
Premier Member

haven't heard but small capacity and forced induction seems to be the in thing right now.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 21:38   #3
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Its some amount of power from a 1.6 litre.
Be interested to find out more.
Jim
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:32   #4
DSK
C70 T5

There was an interesting article in what or which car magazine I was reading in November at my hairdressers.

VW had been working on a small capacity engine, about 1.4 which will be fitted to the Polo and Golf models and it was supposed to develop some ridiculous torque figure around 300lbs ish IIRC and a healthy power output for a car that size. From the print from memory it certainly seemed like this sort of thing would become a hit for the right reasons.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:34   #5
nano

Mercedes, also is testing similar engines....
nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:38   #6
ovlov25
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
There was an interesting article in what or which car magazine I was reading in November at my hairdressers.

VW had been working on a small capacity engine, about 1.4 which will be fitted to the Polo and Golf models and it was supposed to develop some ridiculous torque figure around 300lbs ish IIRC and a healthy power output for a car that size. From the print from memory it certainly seemed like this sort of thing would become a hit for the right reasons.
Thats the engine fitted in the Golf GT.

IIRC its a 1.4 multivalve fitted with a turbo and a supercharger running around 35psi to produce 170bhp and still maintain 1.4 economy.

Apparently its a little pig of an engine, runs rough and i'd have a big question mark over long term durability. Good effort by VW though

It really depends how you want to produce the power, engine tuning is a dark art really and manufacturers are getting clever to pass emmissions laws.

Most impressive engine i've driven lately is the little 1.6 PSA/Ford diesel. 90 or 110ps very light and pulls like a train.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:40   #7
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:

That sounds like a diesel...their current (petrol) 1.4TSi produces 167bhp and 177lb-ft.
Not a fan of VW supercharging as their previous efforts have required overhaul at 60k miles.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 10:48   #8
DSK
C70 T5

I think Ovlov25' s got it, as I recall the article stating some very clever technical issues with the turbocharging system on it. Sounded good, but as always it will be interesting to see it in the real world. I don't think its supposed to be out until either end of this 2008 or early 2009.

I think with the way things are nowadays, you can see why manufacturers are investing in smaller engines producing good performance. I look forward to some interesting courtesy cars in the future lol.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:11   #9
ovlov25
Premier Member

Quote:
I think Ovlov25' s got it, as I recall the article stating some very clever technical issues with the turbocharging system on it. Sounded good, but as always it will be interesting to see it in the real world. I don't think its supposed to be out until either end of this 2008 or early 2009.

I think with the way things are nowadays, you can see why manufacturers are investing in smaller engines producing good performance. I look forward to some interesting courtesy cars in the future lol.
The old Polo G40 and Gold G60 used a horribly complicated G-lader supercharger. The new TSi supposedly uses a more reliable 'rootes' charger at low revs and then switches to a single turbo for high rev power.

The TSi engine is in the current Mk5 golf and badged as a GT.

Just sounds horribly complicated when the car gets a few miles and a few owners under its belt.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 11:15   #10
GMcL
0's and 1's

TSi is not that economical either. 38mpg and 175g/km emissions.
Better than the old 2.0FSi but hardly Green

To take the supercharger out of the equation once the engine is spinning quickly enough for the turbo to be on song, VW has employed a magnetic clutch within the water pump that engages the supercharger's drivebelt at 1,250rpm and disengages it once the bypass valve opens at 3,500rpm.

With a magnetic clutch within the water pump, new belts and water pump will now cost HOW MUCH ???
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote