Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 diesel conversion

Views : 5234

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2005, 22:31   #1
John Davies
VOC Member

Default 240 diesel conversion

Could someone with a Volvo 240 diesel conversion please let me know who they are insured with?

I am thinking of converting my own but cannot get a company to quote although I have the full spec of the engine I want to install.

Thanks

John Davies

Volvo owners Club won't consider it!
John   Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 23:22   #2
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

Default RE: 240 diesel conversion

cant you insure it as a 240 diesel , they did make them
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 01:34   #3
5lab

they're pretty rare, slow and old (the 240 dervs) so converting one may be a better option
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 14:36   #4
John Davies
VOC Member

I have found an insurer - Adrian Flucks.

I really do want to stick to the standard volvo diesel spec. and have - I think - found a 740 donor car with a vgc engine and auto box.

Given Volvos 'parts bin' mentality - 'never produce anything for one model if it can fit three', can anyone advise on the correct engine and gearbox mountings for the 240 diesel, whether the suspension will need converting, and the correct front pipe and propshaft mounting - I am banking on the fact that most parts will have been used on something else in the then Volvo range.

The back axle ratio for the basic 740 range was the same for all automatics, whether diesel or petrol. I am assuming the same applies to the 240 but cannot get hard facts as yet.

And Yes, Bob, before you say anything, I know this post is also in the 'General topics' section but it isn't producing any results there, so if you wish you can delete it there and let this one run!!

Thanks

John davies
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 19:48   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The engine mounts can be obtained from the volvo dealer.
You will need to swap the springs to cope with the extra weight.
I think I have a new pair in the shed.

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 01:13   #6
John Davies
VOC Member

Dai

At last a reply from someone who isn't telling me not to do it!

If you can find the springs, how much do you want for them?

As to engine mounts,yes, I know I can buy them new, but I had hoped they would fit something else which would be in a scrapyard - I am trying to do this on a budget!! But undoubtedly the correct mounts will sort out any alignment problems and make the job a whole lot more straightforward.

Thanks

John Davies
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 22:42   #7
John Davies
VOC Member

Has anyone got any underbonnet pics of a UK diesel 240 with the 2.4 engine? Is there anyone known to the Club with one? To know where stuff is meant to go would be useful!

Thanks

John
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:49   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The mounts are the same as std 240 ones to look at. The difference is the deisel ones are much stronger and loved by the tbrickers.
You could line everything up on the original 240 mounts and replace them once you are up and running.
I'm sure I have the springs. If I get £25 plus the postage I would be happy.
I must admit I hate deisels because they are dirty and expensive to run and worse still slow. I would go the lpg route every time. However I do relise you are determined to go ahead with this project so I am more that willing to help.
If you are interested I do have a load of engine rebuild parts for the 2.4 deisel.

Dai
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 16:32   #9
John Davies
VOC Member

Went to collect my supposedly scrap 740 turbo diesel donor car the other day to find that apart from wonky rear lights, a cracked rear window and a few superficial scratches the car is in fine fettle, has new tyres and brakes and nine months MOT!

We will therefore use it as it is at least until the MOT runs out. The seating position is better than my wife's 940, either because the 940 is an estate or because the seat design is different - the 940 all adjusts on one lever and the seat doesn't seem to have quite the same travel, so I can drive the thing o.k., and keeping it on the road means I can take my 240 off the road and sort it out properly.

We may even keep the 740 as a hack and save the 240 for high days and holidays.

As to the lights some clot had tried to fit replacement rear lights by cutting all the wires and then using sockets with a different colour coding (earlier model, perhaps?). It simply all needed reconnecting correctly.

Regards

John davies