Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner.

Views : 1901

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2013, 10:59   #1
Shrooom1

Default OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner.

I have a 1997 2.5t V70 (193hp) and want to know if a OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner will work on my car, but is she to old ??

It's just something to play with, with its real time and code reading features.
Shrooom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 13:19   #2
blackrevolver
Premier Member

From whats said on here, you need a volvo 98 model onwards for OBD2 to work, as while OBD2 is said to be introduced from 99, the 98 models (which i have) allow use of OBD2.
blackrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 13:30   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrevolver View Post
From whats said on here, you need a volvo 98 model onwards for OBD2 to work, as while OBD2 is said to be introduced from 99, the 98 models (which i have) allow use of OBD2.
Not so, mine's a 1997 pre-ME7 car and OBDII works fine - I have a generic reader and it works no problem.
Old May 7th, 2013, 13:35   #4
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Not so, mine's a 1997 pre-ME7 car and OBDII works fine - I have a generic reader and it works no problem.
Well there you go! hopefully that be the case for the OP as its handy to have.
Old May 7th, 2013, 16:36   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrevolver View Post
Well there you go! hopefully that be the case for the OP as its handy to have.
Yeah, I reckon his will be OBDII compliant no problem, I think (but stand to be corrected) that all petrol V70s are compliant, or all the 20v ones at any rate. I think it's more with the 850s that you get issues.
Old May 7th, 2013, 20:32   #6
Shrooom1

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. Checked with Volvo and they said she's one of the late 97's.

Oh and it's the 20v lump, if that makes any difference. lol .
Shrooom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 21:09   #7
MikeS100
Premier Member

I can confirm that it doesn't work on a 1999 V70 TDi.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but it sounds like it should work on the late 90's petrol models from reading this, but mine doesn't work on my 2002 ME7 C70. Should it work? I tried it once when I got the car (ignition on, engine off) and it didn't seem to read it so I just figured it was too old. I know the reader works as I used to use it on my old Mondeo. Is it worth trying again with the engine running?
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 22:52   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Should work on all ME7 petrol engines as far as I know??? What reader were you using? Doesn't need engine running, not in my experience anyway.
Old May 7th, 2013, 23:04   #9
MikeS100
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Should work on all ME7 petrol engines as far as I know??? What reader were you using? Doesn't need engine running, not in my experience anyway.
Just a normal ELM 327 bluetooth reader with the torque pro software for android. I used to use it all the time in my Mondeo, both with engine off for code reading and engine running for live data. So when I plugged it into the C70 and just got a single red light with ignition on or off I just thought the car was too old. I will give it another go tomorrow and try it with the engine running as well.

Thanks for the reply.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 23:45   #10
blackrevolver
Premier Member

Mike, i also use torque pro and a bluetooth adaptor and i had the same issue as you on a couple of occasions, and assumed it was my phones bluetooth not picking up a signal as i think the lights on the adaptor (green/orange) will flash when theres a connection, and my phones bluetooth does act up, so maybe try another phone?

Also as been said, the adaptor will connect with engine off or engine on, makes no difference, other then engine must be off to clear codes.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackrevolver For This Useful Post: