Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4 petrol engine: when to replace cambelt?

Views : 15741

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2017, 12:30   #11
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Based on earlier comment from Capt Jack, it should be replaced at 8 years 80,000 miles since last change. If 6th year service was in 2011, then based on your mileage, it would be 2019 or 102562 miles (whichever is the sooner).
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 20:19   #12
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

I have a 2006 2.4 and when I asked I got several different answer so asked Volvo who said 10 years or 100k.
And as for the Aux belt that has to come off so you may as well change that for the sake of the cost of the belt. you can't tell when a belt needs changing by looking at it unless its obviously cracked, worn of shredding.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 21:10   #13
capt jack
VOC Member

On pre 2001 phase 1 cars the interval was 80,000 miles or 8 years. On the 2001-on phase 2 models I believe that the interval is 100,000 miles or 10 years.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 21:37   #14
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Slightly off topic, but I went into local main dealer yesterday to book a service (yeah, crazy I know!) and two people on the service desk told me that at 10 years old, my car was due a new cambelt. I had to remind them that the IS6 petrol engine has a timing chain . On the plus side, I negotiated over £250 off the price of the work I wanted doing which made it slightly less painful.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 15:50   #15
Balistaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
I have a 2006 2.4 and when I asked I got several different answer so asked Volvo who said 10 years or 100k.
And as for the Aux belt that has to come off so you may as well change that for the sake of the cost of the belt. you can't tell when a belt needs changing by looking at it unless its obviously cracked, worn of shredding.
I have a 2003 V70 SE 2.4 Petrol and it's done almost 75,000 miles on what I understand is it's first Timing/Cam belt. So it's just turned 16 years old last October. Think it's due a replacement. I'm thinking of replacing it myself as the Timing Belt kit is only around £100. Does anyone know somewhere Maidenhead way that they can recommend?
Balistaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 15:59   #16
Balistaff

Default Just the Timing Belt? Not the Water Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balistaff View Post
I have a 2003 V70 SE 2.4 Petrol and it's done almost 75,000 miles on what I understand is it's first Timing/Cam belt. So it's just turned 16 years old last October. Think it's due a replacement. I'm thinking of replacing it myself as the Timing Belt kit is only around £100. Does anyone know somewhere Maidenhead way that they can recommend?
Question is, should I bother with the water pump replacement at the same time as replacing the Timing belt? The car doesn't do much mileage and there seems to be no problem with the water pump at present. Only thinking of changing the timing belt as it's not metal and the car is nearly 17 years young with Volvo delivery mileage of 75,000.
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 16:46   #17
Whippy
Premier Member

Yes, you should. You've got the front in pieces, got the belt off, so as you're there why not? Pumps can seize and if they do they can strip the belt and wreck the engine. Why risk it when it's there, in front of you.
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 16:55   #18
Dippydog
Premier Member

Can't answer about the water pump-I've seen plenty of advice on here to the effect that if it's a genuine Volvo pump then unless leaking/otherwise obviously faulty then to leave it be[but that's your call]-I wouldn't change just the timing belt itself change the tensioner/idlers too as a lot of the time it's these that let go taking the belt out rather than it just being the belt that goes.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 16:12   #19
Balistaff

Default Still debating the Water Pump Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Yes, you should. You've got the front in pieces, got the belt off, so as you're there why not? Pumps can seize and if they do they can strip the belt and wreck the engine. Why risk it when it's there, in front of you.
I've had a look at the water Pump at the weekend and it doesn't appear to be leaking. If it ain't broke don't fix it is a moto I try to adopt, but I'm still considering changing it out. I only do sub 5,000 miles a year so the water pump may last for another few years. I haven't driven it for two weeks now. I take your point about the chance of it seizing, but it's more likely to leak than seize? It is the original Volvo part.

The plus side of changing out the water pump is that the anti-freeze will be swapped flushed out at the same time.

Anywho, thanks for the insight.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 16:16   #20
Balistaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Can't answer about the water pump-I've seen plenty of advice on here to the effect that if it's a genuine Volvo pump then unless leaking/otherwise obviously faulty then to leave it be[but that's your call]-I wouldn't change just the timing belt itself change the tensioner/idlers too as a lot of the time it's these that let go taking the belt out rather than it just being the belt that goes.
Hi, yes I was intending to get a kit and change the tensioner/idlers at the same time. The water pump is a Volvo original part, no leak, so I'm tempted to leave it in. Cheers for the advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Balistaff For This Useful Post:

Tags
cambelt, petrol, service schedule, v70 2001 engine