Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl Arm low cost repair!

Views : 167577

Replies : 183

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2015, 17:55   #91
kobum11

Hi Rob, Could you post a pocture of the modification please.
kobum11
kobum11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 19:21   #92
Secbra

Hi Guys, I have the S80 MKII D5 2006... I am wondering what kind of tension are you supposed to feel when you try to move the butterfly with your finger. Can you please advice me? Mine seems fairly loose, I wonder if it is actually doing something inside the engine. When I move it manually, which can be done with my pinkeye, not applying any force what so ever, it stays in position. I am not getting any fault codes or dash warnings, just noticed that the linkage is loose flapping about after the cam belt change. I have no loss of power or any other problems...Perhaps the fuel consumption could be a bit better. The arm on the stepper motor is facing towards the front of the car and have never seen it move. I cant move it manually either. I have a bit of oil weeping around the butterfly area but nothing serious. I would like to repair it although I cannot access the butterfly from the other side where I could stick the pin as that side is blocked by aluminium bloc of the engine. Would you have any suggestion?
Thank you very much....
Secbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 20:55   #93
Element888

I got same car and engine and can confirm it should move very very easily without any force. If your linkage is broken or worn out, just buy new one on ebay - aroundf GBP 10. Or is it your plastic ball on engine side is worn out?
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Element888 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 07:51   #94
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile throttles

Hi secbra,

The throttles linkage on the engine side move easily, so thats normal.

Some info attached..

Post a picture of the type of linkage you have there, there are a few versions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf swirl_Pages.pdf (103.1 KB, 212 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 15:54   #95
5cilinder
Premier Member

The lockring of the volvo repairkit came loose after 3 years , a small t-rap is working like a charm instead
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 5cilinder For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2015, 19:22   #96
Secbra

Thanks a lot to all, I was little worried that the swirls have broke inside, since the butterfly moves so easy. The linkage seems to be fine, its the butterfly, the socket does not retain the linkage ball joint in any more as one of the clips inside is broken.
I will melt a hole into the butterfly, and drill the ball through on the linkage, but I have no chance sticking the pin there from behind, as it sits on aluminium block. So the Volvo kit wont be good to me. However it can be lifted of the aluminium surface and then I have a gap behind the butterfly approx 5 mm. I have to feed the pin through the linkage ball into the butterfly and try to slip carefully a cir-clip or something to retain the pin from behind. No sure yet. Here is some pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150415_190111.jpg (234.8 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg 20150415_190450.jpg (112.3 KB, 425 views)
Secbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 20:28   #97
sumey

Hi all,

First time posting here. I have owned my 2011 XC90 for less than a year and would really appreciate some advice. My car was in for a service recently at a dealership and I was told that my swirl arm chamber was leaking oil. I can see that the arm itself is broken, but no noticeable issues (yet) while driving. Cost of repair quoted by the dealership is approx £850!!!

I have been reading this and other threads about swirl arm issues and it seems it's possible to fix this far more cheaply. However, does the "leaking oil" part mean I can't just go for the quick fix and I really will have to fork out hundreds of pounds to repair this? Thanks in advance.
sumey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 14:03   #98
sumey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumey View Post
Hi all,

First time posting here. I have owned my 2011 XC90 for less than a year and would really appreciate some advice. My car was in for a service recently at a dealership and I was told that my swirl arm chamber was leaking oil. I can see that the arm itself is broken, but no noticeable issues (yet) while driving. Cost of repair quoted by the dealership is approx £850!!!

I have been reading this and other threads about swirl arm issues and it seems it's possible to fix this far more cheaply. However, does the "leaking oil" part mean I can't just go for the quick fix and I really will have to fork out hundreds of pounds to repair this? Thanks in advance.
anyone?
sumey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 15:15   #99
macs

I had this issue with the arm coming off due to worn ball joint on the swirl end. I re-fitted the arm but flipped it 180 degrees. Put some wd40 to help when pushing. 10k miles done and still in place.
This idea is not mine - someone else suggested it in different thread of the Forum - can't find the post now.
I have some leak too, don't bother for now as it's not serious.
My car is V70 D5 2009 man.
macs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 16:27   #100
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumey View Post
Hi all,

You mean there is evidence of oil around the swirl arm? Or a more substantial leak. If just around the area of the arm that seems to be pretty normal. Mine does the same.